Repairing Dining Chair Seats

Old 10-05-08, 08:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing Dining Chair Seats

I have 5 chairs that need and I need to re-upholster the seats. The seats have a curved frame that unscrews from the chair. Across the curved frame are several layers of 4 inch heavy weaved material that is old and sagging. I would like to use these frames since I think they would make a much better seat than putting foam over a piece of plywood.

What I do not know is (1) exactly what is this strapping material called and (2) hints/suggestions on recovering these frames. And if going the plywood/foam is a better solution.

Old 10-06-08, 08:15 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 5,054
Received 339 Upvotes on 270 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I'm not an upholsterer, but I know a little about it. I think what you're referring to is called "webbing". You'd need to get this at an upholstery supply shop along with a tool called a webbing stretcher for putting it on tight. It's then tacked or stapled in place. Check out this site for putting it on (this is for an ottoman, but it would be the same principal for a chair):

Also you might want to consider buying this book by Steve Cone on Upholstery:
UPHOLSTERY by Steve Cone

The plywood and foam may be easier tho. You just need to buy a good quality foam from an upholstery place, not from a fabric store.
If the webbing is not what you're referring to, please post back and let me know or a pic would be helpful.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: