Attached Sofa Cushions Ripped

Old 03-18-11, 08:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attached Sofa Cushions Ripped

New here, so I apologize if this question has been asked before...but I was unable to find anything in a search. Here's my problem: My two sons have kind of destroyed the back cushions that are attached to our couch. The fabric is almost like corduroy. It has separated to the point that you can see the stuffing and now part of the springs. I'd like to repair the tear, but I don't know what kind of needle/glue to use, or if that's not possible, what kind of patch I can put over the rip. We cannot afford to replace this couch, nor can I hire an upholsterer or upholster the whole thing myself. I'm not even going to pretend I could do something that awesome. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-11, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Glue won't work, it'll rip right apart again as soon as someone sits down. Patches may work if you don't want to sew. You used to be able to find patches in drug stores, but not sure anymore. Try Joann's Fabrics or Hancocks. You'd use the iron on patches, but probably won't look nice (if they hold at all), so wouldn't be my first choice.
If you want to sew it together, they sell a small package of upholstery needles, which contains a variety of sizes plus a curved needle. You'd use the curved one if it's hard to sew between the cushion and the back. Upholstery thread would be strongest, but if you can't find any, then use a polyester in a matching thread.
Good luck!