Easiest Way to Repair Vinyl Leather Chair

Old 11-01-14, 02:11 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Easiest Way to Repair Vinyl Leather Chair

I have a vinyl leather chair who's seating area was scratched by a cat, but otherwise structurally decent. I was thinking I'd buy a piece of vinyl fabric and recover the seating area. What would be the easiest way to attach it to the new chair? I can get the piece cut and sewn by someone, but I have no idea how I would affix it to the existing seat. In my opinion it would still look good even if I only attach it at the top and bottom for instance, but I don't know the best way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Name:  20141101_165901.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 11-02-14, 01:20 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Easiest way is to take it to an upholstery shop and have them do it. I think the chair will have to be completely disassembled to do it correctly.

Old 11-02-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Yes, if that seat's attached, it needs to be taken apart. Don't know of an easy way to recover it otherwise.
While an upholsterer would be best, depends on what the chair is worth. Might pay to just buy a new one, unless you know of an upholsterer that's cheap.

Old 11-02-14, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
And it doesn't have to be a furniture upholsterer, though that would be best. An automotive interior shop could probably do it as well, but matching the original will be tough no matter how you go. Best to get a piece that's complimentary or contrasting.

Some chairs are easy to take apart...others not so much. If you really like the chair an upholsterer could probably knock it out in a few hours. Even less if you can just take the seat cushion to them. Let them provide the material.

Old 11-03-14, 01:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
This is a DIY site but leather and vinyl repair are generally not DIY projects.

As advised, this should be taken to a pro.

Old 11-03-14, 09:36 PM
F
Here's a possibility. Many night schools offer classes in upholstery and they are always looking for furniture to rebuild. You might want to take a class and DIY or you might be able to get it done by a non-pro (under the supervision of a pro) for the cost of the material or maybe a little more. It might be worth your while to investigate that angle.

Old 11-04-14, 05:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I didn't want this to be perfect, but what I had in mind is I've seen in the past people just put a cover on top of the original vinly and somehow afix the top and bottom edge only. I had a gym that did this to their workout equipment and it still looked nice. Wasn't looking for a perfect reupholster just something that looks better than this and you guessed it... inexpensive.

Old 11-04-14, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
It sounds like they removed the seat, that had a board (plywood or something) attached to the underside, then just wrapped the vinyl and stapled to the board. I don't know of any way to just attach fabric without stapling or making a slipcover.

Old 11-04-14, 07:12 PM
F
You might be able to use a curved needle (often used in upholstery work) and stitch in a piece of material over the existing. It will look like crap but it would be serviceable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: