Home Project or Not/wing back upholstery)

Old 03-20-01, 05:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

First I would like to know if this(upholstery of a wing back chair) can be done at home, by a person who has no experience? or should I just take it to a upholstery store. I really would like to do this project on my own. What tools would I need? How long should it take? What kind of fabric should I purchase?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-01, 12:20 PM
theupholsteryguy
Visiting Guest
need more info

need more info, check your e-mail

Old 04-01-01, 06:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm a do-it-yourselfer and I have only upholstered a wing chair and a sofa. My first project was the chair. I found that by taking the old upholstery off I was able to determine the order of upholstering the parts of the chair and the technique. My only tools were my sewing machine for the cording and hammer and tacks. As with most projects it took longer than I would have estimated.

Old 05-03-04, 08:46 PM
Trudy
Visiting Guest
Reupholstering wing back chair

I would like to reupholster a wing back chair and don't know how to start. Do I take the chair apart, remove the old fabric and use that as a pattern? I have done he cushion and am really nervous about the chair part.

Thanks,
Trudy

Old 05-04-04, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by theupholsteryguy
need more info, check your e-mail

Please keep all conversations within this thread, so that everyone can benefit from the exchange of information. thanks!

Old 05-30-04, 05:12 AM
mrlynn
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up re. Home Project or Not/wing back upholstery)

A wing back chair was my 1st project over 20 years ago and yes you can do it at home. Use the old pieces of fabric as patterns. Disassemble the chair in the following order, outside back, outside arms, inside arms, inside back, and seat decking. Cut the new pieces the same size as the old ones and assemble in reverse order. Make sure the pattern on the fabric flows the same direction on the chair. Good luck and happy upholstering.