Any way to tighten a zigzag spring?

Old 01-14-15, 09:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any way to tighten a zigzag spring?

My big butt brother in law plunked down on my sofa and stretched the zigzag springs on my sofa. I checked, there are no broken ones and the wires that tie them across are also in tact. My old conclusion is they are stretched. Is there any way to tighten them back up so my couch doesn't sag?

Old 01-14-15, 11:19 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I have tools that would do that with smaller material, but not sure what you would use on spring wire that size. My tools are slotted "T" handles and it takes two of them. They are basically a solid shaft with a T handle at the top and a slot cut in the bottom end. It takes two of them. You slide the two slots over the wire you want to bend just a small distance apart and rotate them in opposite directions. This applies a large bending force over a small length of the wire. Unfortunately, I can't think of a readily available tool to do the same on spring wire that size, although something could be made.

I did a quick search and found nothing similar to what I described. My tools are old typewriter repair tools.

Bud

Old 01-15-15, 06:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bud
Thanks for the reply.
I thought about using a couple pair of vise grip pliers and trying to squeeze them closer together. After some searching on the net I found a few places that sell the wires individually or as full kits. I may bite the bullet and buy the full kit. A $40 repair kit is a lot cheaper than $800 to replace the couch
I also watched a couple of videos on Utube on how to repair it. Doesn't look all that hard. There were even a couple where they were using hemp rope and weaving them between the S's and pulling them tight. That looked a bit mickey mouse but it's under the couch so I suppose it wouldn't be seen anyway. May try that first. Anyway thanks for the thought.

George

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: