Painting an Outdoor Umbrella

Old 05-15-16, 08:03 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting an Outdoor Umbrella

Hi - we purchased a large, red, rectangular umbrella just last year, which is now really faded. I would like to know if it is possible to paint this, and get it back to its original, really nice red color. We believe it is your typical canvas/cotton/polyester blend typically found in home-improvement-store types of umbrellas (but it's just a guess).

I would like to hear suggestions and advice as to how to do this, what kind of paint to use, and if it's available in spray cans (I don't own a sprayer).

Thanks for the help - Dave

Old 05-15-16, 09:00 AM
C
Received 175 Upvotes on 143 Posts
There are products made for this purpose: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Spray-U...r+fabric+paint

I have no personal experience with them. Based on the reviews, it seems like it takes many cans to cover a smaller item like an outdoor chair, so you may be better off buying a new umbrella. All fabrics exposed to the sun will fade. The best outdoor fabrics include UV inhibitors to slow the fade, so if you replace it look for one that includes them.

Old 05-15-16, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Actually, woven Sunbrella fabrics will never fade, but they're pricey and would probably be a custom order.
As for painting, and not that I know much about it, but I think you're probably better off just using an outdoor spray paint, like Krylon or Rustoleum. You'd need to remove the fabric from the stand, or cover it up really well. You'll probably need several cans. Doubt it'll last forever, but maybe you'll get a couple more years out of it.
Perhaps Marksr has some tips on this.

Old 05-15-16, 02:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
I have Sunbrella cushions and outdoor shade sails that have endured years in the sun without fading so I can attest that the proper material can survive and look good. How much effort & money do you want to put into something that is degrading so rapidly? A short term Band-Aid fix might be painting or dying but you'll still have the same stuff underneath but covered with a layer of paint. Consider the cost and work of applying the paint versus putting that money towards a product that can survive in the sun.

Old 05-16-16, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
I don't know much about upholstery paints. I'd be leery of using any solvent based paint but latex might be ok - it would need to be a thin coat! the Krylon 'plastic' paint might be an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: