New to the forum. My first re-upholstery project!

Old 11-14-18, 03:34 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New to the forum. My first re-upholstery project!

Hello Everyone! This was my first reupholstery project and I thought it went well until I sat on it...ugg.

I started off with a cow hide chair that had a few rips in it. Completely removed the cow hide and used it as a template for a chenille fabric. I finished the project (learned to use a sewing machine on this first project - so I was very proud haha) and realized when I sit on the seat the fabric would move and look out of place.
I made sure to staple down the fabric very tight.
I am wondering what I can do to fix this. I just tried buying a 3M fabric adhesive. I took apart the whole bottom seat again...sprayed the foam, but it now has fabric bunch up and stick when I sit in it.

What should I have done to prevent this? Was I suppose to add batting on top of the foam?

Please help?
Name:  20181009_131815.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  93.6 KB

Attached Images   
Old 11-14-18, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You should use batting to make the cushion more soft, cushy and comfortable.
I think your problem is that you didn't use an upholstery fabric, and it's stretching. The only thing that would help is to use an iron on stabilizer on the fabric, altho it may be too late beings you glued it down. It'll be almost impossible to get that glue off.

Old 11-14-18, 05:23 PM
D
Thank you so much for your response.

I picked this fabric in the upholstery section of my local fabric store. I am assuming now that it wasn't best for use with a chair

I have never heard of a iron on stabilizer. Just looking on youtube I am only seeing this being used for embroidery items.

Can you please explain how it works?
I was so excited about my project. I must say this is frustrating haha.

Old 11-15-18, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's a non-stretch material with a hot melt (heat activated) adhesive. Before beginning you lay out your fabric face down and iron on the stabilizer to the back side. Now the stabilizer and your fabric become one and don't stretch.

Foam can be very "sticky" so fabric doesn't slip and move easily over it. Batting is used because in addition to providing additional cushioning it provides a slippery layer for the material to move. Without it when you sit down the foam grabs onto the fabric and can cause some weird bunching. With batting the fabric is more free to move as you sit and the foam squishes down. More importantly when you get up the batting allows the fabric to slide back into position as the foam returns to it's un-squished state.

Old 11-15-18, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
The iron-on stabilizer I'm talking about is something in the lines of this:

Pellon 809 Stabilizer

Old 11-15-18, 10:52 PM
D
Wow thank you all so much. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I will look into these for sure. I might redo the bottom.

Old 11-16-18, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
One more thing. You might want to use a cloth over the fabric and stabilizer before you iron it together, if you decide to use it. The batting itself may do the trick tho.

Old 11-17-18, 09:43 PM
D
Thank you so much.

A little confused by why I should put a cloth over the fabric and stabilizer before I iron it...?????

Old 11-18-18, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Some fabrics don't take well to irons and heat. Chenille is one of them. Or at least, test it first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: