Bonded leather Couch - Repair & Restoration

Old 11-04-18, 10:45 AM
Bonded leather Couch - Repair & Restoration

Hello folks,

I have a 3-year-old set of bonded leather couch, recliner, and love seat. The set itself has been great. However, in the last month I have noticed some sections have started to crack and to and another almost beginning to peal.

Although I conditioned them every 6 months, I have a 4-year-old boy who loves standing on the sections that are now almost cracking and pealing

I would like your feedback on how to I can restore these sections and stop it from cracking or pealing completely. The issue I see is that I don't know how to replicate the leather pattern that currently has if I use a vinyl filler or repair kit.

Your response is much appreciated. Attached image
IMAGE 1: Good section
IMAGE 2: Cracking section on same couch.
IMAGE 3: Pealing section

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-18, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum! The problem is, bonded leather is not leather at all, but a plastic, so it can't be repaired the way real leather can be. They sell kits to temporarily fix it so it looks a little better, but there's no way to actually repair it or stop it from further peeling and cracking.
If you can't replace it at this time, I'd suggest just putting a slipcover over them for now.

Old 11-04-18, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't blame the cracking on the 4 yr old. I have a loveseat from Costco that never gets used and it started cracking then delaminating. It's just the nature of the beast of cheap synthetic leather. It comes apart and there isn't anything you can do about it. I wouldn't even bother trying to repair the cracks as I suspect delamination isn't far behind. Slipcover or replace would be my suggestion.

Old 11-05-18, 08:36 PM
Thank you for your reply. I guess I am out of luck on this one.