Cat-friendly upholstery?

Old 12-19-18, 08:27 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cat-friendly upholstery?

i would like to purchase upholstery for a soda that cats cannot scratch - suggestions?

Old 12-19-18, 09:06 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I would suggest getting a couple scratching posts and training your cat to use those so they stay away from the furniture. Don't get the carpet covered ones. And make sure they are sturdy with little to no movement. Otherwise, they won't use them. You can also keep their nails trimmed and put those wax covers on them.

Old 12-19-18, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you looking for fabric to upholster a sofa or a slipcover to cover a sofa?

If you're asking about fabric, I've read that cats don't like leather or ultrasuede, but don't know for a fact. I've read that chenille is forgiving, but don't know that for a fact either. I think cats are probably different, too, so the scratching post is probably your best bet.
As for training cats, good luck with that!

Old 12-19-18, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
A water squirt bottle works well for training. A little squirt when they scratch anything but post works.

Old 12-19-18, 01:39 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Not all, but cats are definitely trainable. Have you seen America's Got Talent? Some cats even play fetch and are more dog-like than cat-like.

Old 12-19-18, 02:49 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I have not had luck dissuading cats from scratching the sofas but that's just my experience. Even if trained to not intentionally scratch (or in our case they just weren't interested), their claws would catch when they kneaded the furniture. We never had leather furniture, so no idea abut that.

What has worked for us with the dog and young kids who went through toilet training (haven't had a cat for 10 years) has been buying furniture that comes with slip covers over the frame and cushions. It's not super classy, but the Ikea Ektorp line has been around for years, and when the upholstery gets too ripped up or disgusting we just buy replacement slip covers off the shelf relatively cheaply.

Worst choice in past 5 years was buying a relatively expensive couch with no removable upholstery. It has been ripped up by the dogs nails from just sleeping on it, and smells like wet dog and urine after countless cleaning attempts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: