Height Of Annoyances!

Old 09-03-15, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Unhappy Height Of Annoyances!

Height of annoyance as it applies to TV commercials. When watching TV we all have noticed or should notice the sound volume of commercials is some what higher then the actual volume set to listen to the TV program. One is constantly lowering the volume during the ads and or advertisements and then raising it after the commercials. Excessively overworking the remote...

That's annoying! Granted, advertisers know many of us leave during commercials. Advertisers therefore increase the volume so you'll like hear the commercial if your still in the area but not watching the TV.

Last year when enough complaints where filed our local TV news said they would tone them down voluntarily rather then face government regulations. And for a brief while they did. However, slowly but surely the sound volume increased back to where it previously was.....

Does seem in some instances and/or cases there is a need for government oversight. Some companies bring it on themselves. Some times Force must be applied to gain compliance or there would be none....

Due not take it out of context. Government does not need to regulated everything and I am not advocating nor suggestion such. But there are times, instances and or cases where government oversight and or regulations, even in petty cases such as this excessive TV ad volume, plays a roll in the publics best interests.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-15, 07:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it just your local channels that are raising the volume on commercials? I haven't noticed it any on my TV ..... but then I don't watch a lot of TV.

Old 09-03-15, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have complained to TV station several time about this to no satisfaction. I read Feds were going to do a regulation about this. as much as I hate another regulation.

Old 09-03-15, 07:11 AM
Don't you have a mute button on your remote?

Old 09-03-15, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

An additional height of annoyance!

TV channels with shows that provide documentary and or reality programs, etc. Such as those on Discovery, History, Weather and even Science Fiction channels etc. They all seem to assume the viewer tunes in to be serenaded with music! They have the background music volume so loud it overwhelms the vocal....

If I want music I'll leave that to the radio!!! Those of us whom watch such program channels want to hear the narrator or actors voices speaking. Voices and not the music. Nor having to read dam captions!!!...

Complaints seem to fall on deaf ears!!! Maybe their own dam music is to blame??? Can't hear the viewers complaints because their own dam music is to LOUD???...UGG....

Maybe I am to sensitive? Or maybe just a temp problem because I am watching to many TV shows during my health recovery mode???? Whatever it is it's still the HEIGHT of ANNOYANCE! If those whom made the TV shows worked for me.......They would either comply or "Walk The PLANK"!!!....

Yes Furd I do have a remote with mute. 2 levels of it. Point is a viewer should not have to raise and lower the volume each time a commercial is on. That's my point. Raising and lower is an annoyance the user need not endure, IMO.

Mark: No. Not just local channels on cable. All channels. Even the news channels.

Pugsl: Yep! You got the point exactly. Complain but get no satisfaction! or Corrections made... I would hate government oversight but as noted, however, without some regulations some in the advertising and ads companies just force and or push the issue upon themselves!!!

Humor: Excuse me. PILL popping time. Label reads take one tablet by mouth? Really? How in the hell else would I take it.... Disregard that. We don't want to go there....LOL!...:NO NO NO:

Old 09-03-15, 08:21 AM
Recovery mode is bad enough and does make us more sensitive. I'm in the "closed caption group" and if the extra volume is bugging you now, wait until you have to rely of someone on the other side of the planet to translate what is being said. Besides getting the wording wrong, typing gibberish, or being 10 seconds behind the programming, don't I hate it when the show goes to commercial so they end the CC never having completed what was being said.

Then there are sports where the CC covers up what I want to read on the screen. Seems like they should have an optional display for CC for those of us who use it all the time.

Fortunately, they don't translate commercials into bold oversized print for CC. Most commercials (thank goodness) don't use CC.

Bud
PS, I do remember when.

Old 09-03-15, 08:29 AM
Humor: Excuse me. PILL popping time. Label reads take one tablet by mouth? Really? How in the hell else would I take it.... Disregard that. We don't want to go there....LOL!...
The ones that drive me up the wall are those that state to take one pill three times daily. Am I supposed to take a pill, spit it out and take it again a few hours later, spit it out and a few hours later take it and actually swallow it?

I am in complete agreement with you concerning the stupid "background" music that is louder than the dialogue. This is one of the reasons why I prefer to use the closed captioning mode, so I can ACTUALLY understand what is being said. Unfortunately, some programs have extremely poor closed captioning, often leaving out the first several words spoken by any actor. Or they will sometimes leave out complete sentences or will change the wording. It is especially hard to follow when you have the sound on and the captioning is several seconds later than the spoken dialogue.

Bud, you beat me to it.

Old 09-03-15, 08:50 AM
In addition to the music in the background, I hate the shows where everything is so dark you can't tell what is happening. Even with CC I rely upon body language to help understand what is happening.

Bud

Old 09-03-15, 08:57 AM
I agree, Bud, but let's face it, television is aimed toward the under thirty crowd, not the old farts like us. Maybe that's why I mostly watch reruns.

Old 09-03-15, 01:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Certain TV's have menu items that control volume to the same level all the time. No increase at ad time. I'll have to check mine out and see what the drill down is for that.

Old 09-03-15, 02:04 PM
I thought I had heard about a tv sound regulator that would control annoying commercials and it turns out that they do make them. One was sold on Amazon.com but apparently isn't made anymore and the other is available from a company I have never heard of before here is the link http://www.tvsoundregulator.com/. I don't endorse this and I have no idea even if this works but they play a video on the website that explains how it works and on the video at least it does work. My problem isn't so much commercials but a hard of hearing person who needs the volume up.

I do get annoyed though at how the side channels like ME-TV have the volume going up and down like a roller coaster. One minute the volume is acceptable and the next it is either too low or too high. Speaking of medications as some of you know I am a diabetic and what gets me is why on a package of test strips they say do not ingest. I guess it is another one of those stupid government regulations. Also fear of getting sued something like the warning on hot coffee which really is barely warm but as you remember someone at McDonald was burned and sued McDonald's years ago.

Old 09-03-15, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Along the same lines as shows with loud background music is those where it's not the music, it's the actors speaking so softly or their microphones are turned to low or to far away it becomes difficult to hear what they are saying. Noticed this but not on all TV shows.

Could it be my older age that creates increased hearing difficulties...
Possible. Speak up. I can't hear you....HA HA. Good Grief! Where's my >HORN<...LOL!

Is it just me being less tolerant in older age? YEP! That's a more likely possibility....

Old 09-03-15, 02:13 PM
Terk, the antenna company, used to have a device that would control the volume to a set level regardless of what was broadcast. Alas, I do not see it on their website. I don't remember now if it was inserted in the stereo connecting cables from the cable company set-top box to the audio input of the TV or if it required a separate audio amplifier and speakers.

I DO know that my Samsung "smart" TV doesn't have any such device.

Old 09-03-15, 02:23 PM
Here's another rant on the subject of closed captioning. As I've mentioned several times I record most of what I watch. In the analog days I was able to record the captioning but turn it off if it was objectionable for whatever reason. Not any more. If I use my Magnavox (digital) recorder I either have to have the CC on or off. I can't record the CC and then turn it off on playback. On my analog recorders I have to set up the analog/digital converter boxes to either output the CC or not. No way to turn it off on playback.

Last night I decided to watch some programs on Einstein I had recorded several years ago. One was a Nova (PBS) program, one was from A&E, one was from History and I forget where the fourth one was originally. I strongly suspect that they all had CC but I couldn't access it. Some day I should connect the recorder to my analog TV and see.

Old 09-03-15, 02:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
IMO, the user should not have to buy any separate device(s) to control volume levels! Period.
I am now more inclined to force government regulations upon them all. They created the annoyance and avoided the regulations prior. No more excuses. No second or third chances. This is not a three strikes and you're out ball game. Force it upon them!... Show no mercy!... OUCH!!!!

Once again excuse me. Have to >by mouth< take second anti biotic pill of the day!!!

Old 09-03-15, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The FCC has means to go after stations that allow this. See FCC link below regarding the CALM act.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/program-b...ud-commercials

In my area, most comply, but there are a few that blatantly increase the volume during commercials. A few complaints and they might cease and desist. They know the rules, just as George Carlin did.

Old 09-03-15, 03:35 PM
Sharp, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't like governmental regulations any more than the next guy and probably a lot less than the average person but sometimes you MUST use the force of government to persuade certain people or businesses to do the right thing. Unfortunately, these days it is far more common for big business to be controlling government than the government controlling business.

Old 09-03-15, 04:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thanks Brian... Exactly what I am referring to. FCC's CALM act. Should be quite act and TV viewers like me act or remain CALM! Very difficult to due!

I too agree with to much government regulations. However, Government has a roll to play when it comes to public safety also. FDA is one of several such agencies. Everybody needs to be confident the foods and medical drugs taken are safe.

We don't really need or should have to have regulations on TV commercials. But those of us whom are annoyed with excessive loud nest of commercials need to voice our protest.

Thanks to all whom contributed to the thread. Those whom have some input to donate, glad to hear from you too. We all learn from each other this way.

Maybe I'll post some hospital annoyances I experienced real soon too.... Stay tune.

Old 09-04-15, 08:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hospital Annoyance! Just One.

In case you're not aware, a hospital is a 24/7 work environment. One does not get admitted to get some R&R. Not going to happen. There are always some required routine needed and common tests that need to be done. That's understandable & acceptable.

What isn't acceptable, in my opinion, is those routine tests being done during meal times...
You're brought a meal and just begin digging in and chowing down and here they come! Like a swarm of locust all over you. Beginning the tests. Jabbing, poking and sticking you with everything but a FORK! OUCH! (Roll over you're done on that side) Ha Ha....

That's the height of rudeness, annoyance and bad bedside manners IMO. Even a veterinarian knows not to bother an animal during feeding times. One might get bitten!...

Such is not the case while in a hospital. Don't they know you're a captive subject? The tests can wait until meal time is over. You're unable to leave with an iv and a tree with one or more bags of unknown liquids in it. Plus you're in your BVD's and in a gown that's open in the back.... Good Grief! Now where are you going to go anyway. Tests can wait!!!

Old 09-04-15, 09:12 AM
Wow did this thread ever take off.

To add my rant to the TV problem...I also hate the vol thing. But in addition is the practice of all the channels scheduling their commercial at the same time. And the length of commercial breaks. I nearly forget or lose the program thread because of the commercial. Several times I've stopped watching a program just because the commercial breaks are so long.

Old 09-04-15, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What isn't acceptable, in my opinion, is those routine tests being done during meal times..
There is one thing worse when they post those nasty 3 letters on your door - NPO

Bad enough that you are so sick you have to be hospitalized but then they refuse to feed you
Last time I stayed at the hospital my wife called me when she got home and said she stopped and got a burger, ate half and gave the rest to the dog - I would have fought the dog for that meal!!

Old 09-04-15, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Absolutely agree with you Norm.

Solution we use is to record a show or program (one or more possible with some cable modems) so we can fast forward through the annoying commercials!

Another advantage of recording is no need to raise and lower the volume. Just fast forward through those loud dam commercials!...

Another can be record more then one at a time, while watching one already recorded.

Yet another of recording is ability to pause the playing at will and miss nothing...

Yep. Thread did take off and glad it did.
Open to all to post what they deem to be annoyances, if they choose to...
We all notice some annoyances, so why not share them here with others.

BTW Mark. I'm unclear with the acronym or abbreviation (???) sorry to say.
What does the three letters NPO??? posted on the door mean???

Old 09-04-15, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would advise finding a good looking nurse to ogle and then the TV will be secondary to your problems.

Old 09-04-15, 12:56 PM
NPO....nothing by mouth

From the Latin nil per os

No I'm not a Latin scholar, I did Google search

NPO Medical Definition | Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary

Old 09-04-15, 01:01 PM
I would advise finding a good looking nurse to ogle and then the TV will be secondary to your problems.
The problem with that is too many nurses are now male.

Old 09-04-15, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ouch.......................................

Old 11-13-16, 01:26 PM
Movie voices

Is it just me getting older or does is seem the music track of movies is considerably louder than the voices. We have a difficult time understanding spoken parts when watching movies. Now, I mix sound at our church, so I know balance, EQ, etc. I even reduced the lows and increased the highs to emphasize spoken parts, but still have the problem.

Old 11-13-16, 03:30 PM
It is a little of both. There is no doubt whatsoever that the background noise, whatever that noise may be, in movies IS significantly louder in the last fifteen to twenty years than it was when we were growing up.

I remember going to see the third Batman movie and the sound track was so loud I had to plug my ear (the one that works) with my finger during much of the non-speaking periods. But even with that when I removed my finger during the dialogue parts I could still barely hear what was being spoken.

I think that actors today (last twenty years or so) also have a tendency to mumble or speak in a quieter voice than was common previously. This may be because of vastly improved recording equipment as well as better methods of combining audio and video than the old optical sound stripe on film. Back in the olden days it was necessary for the actors to speak their lines loudly in order to make the soundtrack audible on the film. That is no longer necessary but at least in my opinion the recording engineers have gone too far the other way in making the dialogue less audible.

This is why I almost always opt for sub-titles in the movies I watch at home. Unfortunately, too many TV programs have such a gap in the captioning that it is impossible to both listen and read at the same time. News programs seem to be the worst and often there are captions from the previous story shown into the next story or the commercial. PBS programming is usually the best and FOX programming the worst when it comes to closed-captions.

Watch and listen to a movie made in the '40s, '50s or '60s and then compare that to a movie made in the '80s, '90s or later and it will be immediately obvious what I am saying.

Old 11-13-16, 03:41 PM
I do watch old John Wayne movies, and can tell the difference. Wifey likes classics, too, so the difference is obvious. Thanks for the confirmation that things are worse, and I am getting old

Old 11-13-16, 04:01 PM
Yes, today's movies and music is much louder than yesteryear. People just don't get the fact that loud music is bad for the hearing. With me the bass tones are very disturbing. It actually makes the speaker vibrate. But if you turn down the volume you loose the dialogue.

I use safety ear muffs nowadays's when running the lawn mower or snowblower. Trying to preserve what I have.

When I work the cash register, there is an audible beep that tells when the machine is ready accept the credit card. Most people my age and younger cannot hear the beep. And even I admit I'm hard of hearing but I can hear that. Most of the people admit their hear loos is due to the rock concerts they went to.

The kind of hearing loss I have is infuriating because I can hear the noise and voices of most conversations but I can't distinguish the words. Especially in a part atmosphere where there is lots of competing noise.

Old 11-13-16, 04:55 PM
I don't hear much above 2kHz, and use a pink noise machine to detect high pitched feedback visually. I'm like you, I can hear people speak, but their words are not very distinguishable. Too much gunfire and rock concerts for sure.

Old 11-13-16, 05:01 PM
and use a pink noise machine to detect high pitched feedback visually.
Tell more about this. I'm not familiar with it.

Old 11-13-16, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Those that have noticed it, you aren't alone. Even TV shows sometimes come across that way to me. Watch an old MASH or Andy Griffith and then some new drama or cop show. The old ones didn't have soundtracks over the voices, many of the new ones do.

All this and my hearing is still pretty good. Between the training I got in industrial safety and plain common sense, I almost always use protection. Before I joined up, not so much when I was hunting, but a 16ga double with bird loads wasn't like shooting a .357 at arms length.

I'm not sure whether it has changed, but there may be a setting on your TV or system that can help. When I had my 5.1 surround system hooked up, you could emphasize the center speaker, which is where most dialog comes from. Dunno if sound bars or other simulated surround systems have such a feature.

Of course that doesn't help in a movie theater, but I rarely go to those anymore, even though it's very cheap where I live. Could be cause last time, they got upset I was in my underwear, robe and slippers, with a 1/2 a pizza under my arm. "But", I said, "This is the way I watch movies at home!".

Old 11-13-16, 05:45 PM
Vic, you have a good idea about checking the speaker levels on a 5.1 surround system. I'll try check that out.

Old 11-13-16, 10:21 PM
I am convinced that television stations control how loud a show is heard. I take as examples two television shows that come from different eras. One is Emergency and the other Blue Bloods, when Emergency and Blue Bloods is on regular over the air television the television shows are much lower in sound than the commercials. Now if I watch those same shows from different eras on Netflix using my Roku the dialogue is much better and you can hear things better with maybe the occasional exception.

I personally am convinced that television stations care more about advertising than the viewer having a good experience hearing whatever show might be on at the time. By the way of those two shows mentioned I like Emergency the best even with its errors I have noticed. I think the errors make the show more interesting.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 11-13-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 03:54 AM
Richard, most newer TV's have a volume equalization feature that doesn't allow sound to exceed a certain decibel rating, making advertisements and the programming peak the same. I love it.

Norm, the pink noise machine (don't remember exactly what it is called) is adjustable to the ambient surroundings and gives visual bar graphs in real time of different frequencies. It can be set to show decibel ratings as well. I can watch it out of the corner of my eye and see higher frequencies peaking and move to help it out. We run our board pretty peaked, and a little too much gain or movement in the house slide can take it over the top, especially when people are moving around monitors.

Old 11-14-16, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locally we have a gospel TV station that for whatever reason has low volume. I typically have to double the volume on my TV to hear compared to the other channels.

Like many [maybe more than most] my hearing isn't what it used to be. Actually I can hear good IF everything is quite, add competing noises and I loose my ability to hear much of anything [other than noise] My wife calls it selective hearing ..... but it's not

Old 11-16-16, 08:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

Have to totally agree. Some TV shows have excessively loud background music.

Very Annoying!

As a result I intentionally avoid them.

Complaining to the TV movie shows producers often, if ever, results in little compliance.
Very likely those complaints are read by others and never passed along to producers, etc...

And many of us complain to authorities. Much falls on their deaf ears too! No pun intended.
Possible reason why the DAM background music is so loud.
Same applies to commercials!

Prior thread on this subject matter containing like & similar matters here:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...annoyance.html

Maybe a good idea......both these threads should be merged together?...
If so someone cares to do it or advise.

2 Similar Subject Matters In Both Threads Have Now Been Merged

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-18-16 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Thread Mergers