Atlanta traffic

Old 05-09-16, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Atlanta traffic

And People ask me why I left Atlanta for the mountains........... These folks do this every day.........twice.

Name:  atlanta traffic.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  53.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-16, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
The commute between NJ and NYC is very similar.
Nothing finer than being in NYC near a river crossing at rush hour.

Old 05-09-16, 06:53 PM
Traffic around here gets more congested every day not long ago they built an inter-county connector to make it easier to get into the next county and ease on congestion. All I can see is that it has made the rich richer as it is a toll road, some people like it and some hate it but then that was the opinion before it was built too. Now they want to add on more Metro train routes onto a system that already can't get even minor repairs done fast. Metro has a new manager and he is trying to get things fixed but it is a tough job.

Old 05-09-16, 07:06 PM
Looks just like downtown Seattle.

(I can't post any pictures, they are all too big.)

Old 05-09-16, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Back before they used concrete barricades for when doing road work after a spike in traffic injuries to road workers they commissioned a study to find the safest time to work on the Gulf Freeway. The idea was to schedule construction during that time. The study concluded the only safe time was Sundays 2am to 4am. Oh well so much for that idea.

Old 05-10-16, 02:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only been thru Atlanta once, in the mid 70's about 3-4 AM on 75 and was surprised at how much traffic was on the 3-4 lanes of the north bound interstate. While the traffic wasn't bad, I could just imagine how it would get in the daytime

Like Atlanta, I've only been to NYC once [2-3 days] in the early 70's The 2 things I remember most was the big bumpers on the taxi cabs [seen some get booted thru the intersection] and on a 4 lane interstate before lunch there was a broke down car, after lunch that car was setting on the drums with no engine and some of the interior missing. Never knew thieves were so brazen!

Old 05-10-16, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If our flights coordinate with train timing, we will usually exit and take MARTA from the northside to the airport. No weather to contend with, no long walks from parking lots as it lets you out in the terminal. Mark, it has evolved from a 4 lane highway that I remember in the 50's to this 14 lane monster.

My last encounter in NYC was the Holland Tunnel. Lane signs were posted too late for you to negotiate the proper lane. When you emerged from the other end, if you weren't in the proper lane, you went to the Bronx Sort of like Hotel California.........you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Old 05-10-16, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
that looks like any big city I have been to. In LA just add about 1000 more miles and that what you get.

Old 05-10-16, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actuality I've been to Atlanta more than once, I forgot that when I flew up here and back prior to buying my place I changed planes in Atlanta ...... of course that only included the concourse - which is bigger than our local malls!

Old 05-10-16, 03:53 AM
Just one of the perks in living in Western New York and Greater Buffalo Niagara area. We are able to get to any part of town from any other point within 20 to 30 minutes on a typical day. Rush hour for us is spending 15 minutes inline to get from the I290 onto the I90. We have all the big city conveniences but none of the big city hassles.

Old 05-10-16, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I grew up i Syracuse and hate snow.

Old 05-10-16, 09:17 AM
Years ago I had to commute weekends from Philly to Boston for several months. The shortest way was through NYC. The CBE was the absolute worst stretch of road I have ever driven. Jammed with traffic, potholes that could swallow a VW and idiot NY drivers - none of whom seemed to speak English. God forbid you should break down. I remember being stopped in traffic watching a gang of 5-6 guys stripping a car. I don't think it took them 15 minutes. They worked like a NASCAR pit crew.

I still go to NYC occasionally but I will not drive. The train is so much easier.

Search this Thread