What's with the ads for "Sage Home security"?

Old 05-25-16, 07:21 AM
What's with the ads for "Sage Home security"?

I get this ad for Sage home security on each new window as I try to move through the site. it is a new development ,starting today. Help??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 07:30 AM
What browser are you using? I don't see the ads myself as I am using Firefox and Ad Block Plus which is fairly easy to add on on Firefox. I got tired of the ads here and elsewhere on the net.

Old 05-25-16, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
I see the Sage ad on every page without being logged in on the board.
Obviously you ARE logged in and you also see it on every page ?

I'll be moving this thread to General chats.

Name:  sage.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 05-25-16, 07:35 AM
Me too!! It's driving me crazy. Enough already!!!!

I'm using FireFox but no AdBlocker. I got's to get away from this - it's cruel torture!!!

Old 05-25-16, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
I've notified the webmasters of the issue.

Old 05-26-16, 05:12 AM
For those of us who use ADBlocker, we don't have those problems. I'm curious why those who don't want to use it.

PS...The SAGE system looks interesting. I want to find out more about it. I'm currently using SimplySafe.

Old 05-26-16, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I was using Firefox with no adblocker.
I added "Adblocker Plus" -evidently made for FF (?).
So far-no ads here.

Old 05-26-16, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
It was a software problem that has been corrected according to the site techs.

Old 05-28-16, 06:15 AM
I haven't seen the one from Sage. My nemesis is a Home Depot ad that pops up every time. Making me crazy. I may have to try AdBlocker.

Old 05-28-16, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
I had previously notified the webmaster about that HD ad. It should be fixed promptly too.

Old 05-29-16, 05:31 PM
I think the webmaster must have a sense of humor - I don't have the "Sage" problem now, it's transformed into the DIY Workshop Home Depot ad.

Is this some kind of test?

Old 06-03-16, 08:59 AM
I never much minded the ads here--they fit in allocated spaces on the side panel and across the top, and didn't hold things up. Lately that has changed. The Home Depot ad covers the page and must be dismissed, whether logged in or not. It's size and others change as the page loads so attempts to dismiss it or click on something nearby causes you to click ON the ad--feeding the bear, as it were. Watch the status bar at the bottom as each page on this forum loads & you'll see what looks like dozens of ad and tracker sites that slow down the page loading.

I know these things = income for the admin but it seems to be growing exponentially these past few weeks.

I've installed the AdBlocker Ultimate plug-in now & will see how that changes things. Hopefully it won't slow pages more than the ads did.

Old 06-03-16, 09:23 AM
I haven't changed my Adblock+ settings since I installed it. The only "ads" I see are the ones on the far right and I would have to scroll the window right in order to see them.

I HAVE noticed that the time interval before any page on this forum finishes loading is getting longer and longer...to the point of making the entire site slow down.

Old 06-12-16, 01:16 PM
Hedgeclippers - I just want to say thanks for turning me on to ad block plus. What a pleasure to open a web page load without all the wait and annoying jumping around as ads loaded.

Old 06-12-16, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
What a pleasure to open a web page load without all the wait and annoying jumping around as ads loaded.
But it won't be so pleasant one day if there is no page to open because the site went belly up because the adds weren't getting any hits.

Old 06-12-16, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll argue that IB doesn't garner as much money from forum ads as they do ire from users. The forum is a learning place. Not a billboard.

Old 06-12-16, 04:13 PM
If a site goes belly up because too many users got tired of the ad crap then I'll just move on to another site.

Old 06-13-16, 03:45 AM
Somehow I believe the Internet will survive without ads.

Old 06-13-16, 05:07 AM
I use Firefox with Adblock+ and I get NO advertising on this site. I thought I was getting ads on the far right of the screen so I scrolled over and nope, just an invitation to sign up for the newsletter and then one to sign up to find a professional.

On other sites I occasionally get a pop-up stating that they detected I am using an ad blocker and they ask me to turn it off. I never do. I buy a LOT of junk, er, valuable treasures, over the Internet and I don't think I have EVER found a single item that was available from only one vendor.

By the same token, if they can't put the price in their advertising I just cross them off the list. The nerve of them, asking me to register first and then they might tell me the price. Nope, not gonna do it.

Old 06-13-16, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by Norm201
Somehow I believe the Internet will survive without ads.
You mean like BBS?
Much as I'd like to see an ad-free internet there's just too much money to be made with the system as it currently exists. Why would an admin refuse thousands of dollars each month from Google and others for allowing their intrusions?
I hate the annoying ads but I'll take it over a government-run internet.

Old 06-13-16, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
I never actually saw the sage ads but had I seen them I'd have been totally creeped out by the guy in the ad. Glad I didn't see them. Makes me shudder just to see him.

Old 06-13-16, 01:06 PM
I recommend it. I have not seen the annoying DIY ad since I downloaded it.

I don't have a problem with ads except when it keeps jumping in front of whatever I'm trying to read or when there are so many of them that it takes the page forever to settle. Nothing like trying to click on a link only to have the page jump because another ad loaded.

Old 06-13-16, 03:18 PM
No, not like BBS. The premise was that if we all started to use Ad Block then the advertisers would not support the system. And that is a real possibility. And if that happened then what? The end of Internet? Not likely. Just another form be it government run, or pay to use, or whatever might take place. It's not a matter of preferring one over the other. It's the evolution of the beast that will take place over time. It's beginning to happen with cable/satellite TV. Rates get higher, ads are longer, shows are shorter and little by little people are cutting the cord to use streaming Internet to watch shows or movies. What's the answer? Lets voluntarily not use AD Block, or do not tell anyone about AD Block. What would you prefer? Neither! So, other means and devices will slowly take over if ads are not hit upon. Nothing is free and somehow the use of the Internet will be paid for in one form or an other. The only thing for sure is change.

Old 06-13-16, 03:21 PM
I don't have a problem with ads except when it keeps jumping in front of whatever I'm trying to read or when there are so many of them that it takes the page forever to settle. Nothing like trying to click on a link only to have the page jump because another ad loaded.
I'm a user of Stumble Upon and many sights will use the pop-up to block the page. When that happens I immediately just stumble on to the next one. To me, the web page content is not important enough if the owners insist that I listen to their pitch. I don't loose they do.

Old 06-13-16, 06:45 PM
Nothing is free and somehow the use of the Internet will be paid for in one form or an other.
While there are many sites that are primarily informational the majority of Internet sites exist because the owner wants to sell you something. In that respect the Internet is no different than any other method of business, there are costs involved and those costs will be reflected in the price of the goods and/or services offered.

Further, there is a cost associated with even accessing the Internet. I pay $40 a month, some pay a bit less and many pay significantly more. I don't mind Amazon hosting advertising from other vendors along with their own as long as it doesn't usurp the pages I am trying to access.

So to state that the use of advertising blocking software will cause the government to "take over" the Internet is more than a bit over the top in my opinion.

Old 06-13-16, 10:28 PM
I switch back and forth between my tablet and my laptop and mainly use my tablet for watching Netflix videos when the laptop is not as convenient to use. So that means I also use my tablet for this website occasionally and on my tablet no adblocker is installed. So I don't think this website will have any problems with making money off of me although I never click on the ads. Some websites too are trying to circumvent AdBlock+ by using different methods of delivering ads. Also websites can still add on tracking cookies even with AdBlock+.

Old 06-13-16, 11:04 PM
Also websites can still add on tracking cookies even with AdBlock+.
Let them. I use a setting on Firefox that dumps all cookies when I close the browser and that takes care of that problem. Of course it DOES raise a couple of other minor problems but there are work-arounds for those as well. The sites that really bug me are the ones that use third-party cookies (which I have set Firefox to NOT allow) that refuse to load because I have disabled third-party cookies.