I HATE shopping for appliances!

Old 06-16-16, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
I HATE shopping for appliances!

Actually, to narrow it down, I hate shopping for a DISHWASHER! A stove is a stove and a refrigerator is a refrigerator, but a dishwasher, because of all the variables, is not really a dishwasher it's a features/operations nightmare.

Already told my spousal unit that's probably what she's getting for birthday (she's okay with that) or earlier (it's not until August).

Our 10+ year old Maytag Quiet Series 100 still cleans dishes but the racks have been rusting for quite some time now and can't see spending the bucks for replacements given the age of the machine. It's a noisy b----, too. SO, I've been kicking the tires in the stores and reading on-line reviews and I've come to the conclusion that no matter what make/model I buy, I'll end up wishing I had kept the old one and bought new racks.

My tow buddy is recommending Bosch and reviews are pretty good, but have seen multiple mentions of dish rack design made to drive you nuts. Also, manual filter cleaning. Daughter has a fairly new Whirlpool Gold series that was in the house she bought; seems to work okay and is QUIET. Read some negative comments on that make/model, too, can't remember what specifically after reading myself blind on reviews.

Might just put names of top three halfway decent models (4 stars or better reviews and no comma in the price) in a hat and pull out the winner. Most likely in the running Bosch, Maytag, Whirlpool, Kenmore. Hoping to find something suitable @ Lowe's where I can use my 10% military discount, otherwise it'll be HD or Sears, maybe Best Buy.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-16, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've installed them all for 16 years as part of remodels and decided on the Kenmore Elite for personal use.
There are many dishwashers with the same features, but I liked the look and function of the Kenmore. It has many features, but the most practical are:

Stainless Steel tub
Upper rack can be lowered easily
Controls are intuitive, it's easy to choose or cancel a cycle or turn heated dry off
Very quiet

The best thing is it actually washes dishes very good. It took awhile for me to convince the wife to trust it and don't worry about washing dishes before loading.

The Bosch is quieter and easier to install, the rear legs are adjustable from the front and the entire underside of the unit is sealed. AFAIK the Bosch is the only dishwasher where the motor and everything else is completely enclosed underneath. That's the ultimate in quiet but I still passed on the Bosch.

Old 06-16-16, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wifey is in Sarasota this week. She could really help y'all spend money

I agree with Brian on the Bosch. I got called by a client to pick up a check for a flooring job, so when I got there, I noticed a red LED shining on the floor under the dishwasher. I asked what it was for, and she said so you would know it was running. I had no idea.

.....as I sit here listening to my Whirlpool dishwasher clean dishes. Good job, but my Cummins diesel is quieter.

Old 06-16-16, 07:04 PM
Whatever brand you buy I think the best is one with an all stainless steel interior and I would also get one with a stainless steel exterior too. My personal preference is Maytag, Whirlpool, or General Electric. Kenmore for the most part is made by Whirlpool and isn't a bad brand however not all of their appliances are the very best. All dishwashers are fairly noisy to some extent and if your bedrooms are far enough away noise shouldn't be an issue. I certainly wouldn't want anything noisy but at the same time I wouldn't spend a fortune on a dishwasher either.

Another thing to consider is how easy your dishwasher is to service. The more difficult it is to service the more expensive a service call will be. So I certainly would call appliance repair companies and get some opinions from independent repair firms.

Old 06-16-16, 10:27 PM
Although lots of brand names very few actual manufacturers of appliances. You might want to check out these two websites.

Who Makes Dishwashers for the U.S.?

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

I agree with the recommendation of the stainless steel tub as they are supposedly quieter than the plastic tubs and won't crack like a plastic tub. My own experience with Whirlpool-built dishwashers, admittedly more than 16 years ago, would be to avoid Whirlpool. Maybe they have gotten better over the years or maybe if you get their top-of-the-line model it would be okay.

Old 06-17-16, 03:52 AM
I've been looking at dishwashers too because my Whirlpool doesn't clean worth a darn. I haven't a clue what to get. One thing I will say is that I am done buying expensive appliances because I can't seem to get more than about 5 to 7 years out if an appliance. I'll go cheap and consider it to be disposable.

BTW, I have had two service technicians in the last couple years tell me that I should be buying the extended service contracts, primarily because appliances don't last like they used to. Both said that nowadays it seems to be the electronics that go bad and can be expensive. Based on my recent experiences, I may go with their advice for the first time in my life.

Old 06-17-16, 03:59 AM
Buying a dishwater is easy. Buy a refrigerator is the hard one.

Yes, stainless is the only thing to get. Plastic will eventually discolor. However, I hate the stainless steel exterior. Looks like an institution type kitchen. And will show all sorts of dirt and marks.

Here is a hint. After installing get one of those battery operated water alarms that sit on the floor. Put it right in front where the water inlet and the overflow are, then install the kick plate.

Old 06-17-16, 04:16 AM
Although not a appliance,my comes with a lifetime guarantee and the added feature of getting my hands clean.

Old 06-17-16, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
guyold - I've had multiple models like that although some had to be kicked started

Old 06-17-16, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks all. I had already arrived at the stainless interior as a good idea. I'm not too concerned about noise, anything will be quieter, I think, than our current one. Other than that, I want clean dishes, good layout of racks, and reliability. Like Bruce, I'm thinking extended warranty, too, which I normally avoid like the plague. And I second the comment on expensive units. Was shocked to see some DW's with price tags well over $1k. No way, Jose. After our 7 year old 3-door Kenmore Elite fridge went belly up several years ago I'm more than a little concerned about life-expectancy (the appliances, not me). Will have a look at Kenmore Elite units.

Old 06-17-16, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Larry, if she has car trouble, I know a good towing company.......

Norm, what's the battery life on those leak alarms?

Old 06-17-16, 09:22 AM
I have about 6 units for about 4 years now. Never changed batteries yet. I keep one under every sink, sump pit, hot water tank, dishwasher. Saved my bacon on many occasions when I've had loss of power or appliances break downs.

Old 06-17-16, 10:13 AM
I agree that buying a refrigerator is much harder than a dishwasher. Also that SS exterior looks too commercial.

One thing you might want to consider is buying last year's model. When I had to replace my dishwasher I was able to get the previous year's model for about 1/3 less than the current model, mainly because the appliance dealer (independent) wanted to get it out of his showroom. I've never had a bit of trouble with it other than occasionally finding a plate that didn't come 100% clean.

Speaking of cleaning...the cause is often the detergent you use. Your local water will work better with one brand than it will with another. Unfortunately, the only way to determine which brand is best is through trial and error. Further, dishwasher detergent has a shelf life so unless you run your machine every day don't buy an economy size at the warehouse club.

Lastly, if at all possible set the dishwasher next to the kitchen sink and run the water until it reaches maximum temperature BEFORE starting the machine. Cold water in the dishwasher is very detrimental to getting a good wash, even in machines that have a built-in water heater.

Old 06-17-16, 03:44 PM
Have to agree with everything Furd says.

Old 06-17-16, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2nd agreeing with Furd, especially running the hot water in the sink before starting cycle.
The combination of having hot water immediately available and (some) dishwashers heating the water further cleans dishes very good. The newer dishwashers get so hot you want to stand back when opening the door, but that's a good thing.

Old 06-22-16, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, I've gone with a Maytag. Except for the rusting racks, we've had good service from our current one (would probably keep using it if not for the racks). New one stainless inside, white outside (other appliances are white anyway), and 50db noise. Not super-quiet, but will certainly be better than current unit. Purchased at Lowe's where it was on sale and I get an additional 10% off with my ID card AND delivery is free. Liked the 10 year warranty on racks and interior. Also went with 5 year x-warranty (which I usually avoid like the plague). Anyone want to stop by in a couple of weeks and install it for me?

Old 06-22-16, 05:01 AM
Good choice but why did you bother with the x-warranty. Especially since you have this forum?

Old 06-22-16, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I hear you, but my crystal ball says that if I didn't get it the main circuit board would crap on day 366 of ownership.

Old 06-23-16, 11:02 PM
I don't blame you for wanting to get an extended warranty I have heard of the electronic components going bad too and right after the warranty has expired. About 5 years ago now I bought a GE Adora dishwasher for my mom I believe it was around Christmas time. Our old GE was still working but it had the plastic tub and I knew eventually the tub would crack and it really wasn't cleaning like I wanted it too. I put it in myself and not being an electrician or a plumber it took a while but I was happy when I was finished with it. My dishwasher has the hidden controls when it washes.

The thing I like best about the stainless interior besides it not cracking is that the pump motors can be replaced much easier by the repair person. They never have to worry about the tub cracking while they work and you then have a dishwasher that is good to go for a long time after the repair. Speaking of dishwashers I bought ours at HD and a Whirlpool for the house we had been renting and are now selling and luckily both were on sale and bought at about the same time in different years.

I know someone mentioned not wanting to buy a refrigerator we just bought a Frigidaire refrigerator a few months ago for our house that has LED lights in the refrigerator and freezer. I like that especially at night when all I might want is a frozen treat to eat and I don't want to turn on all of the kitchen lights. I didn't buy an extended warranty on the appliances although maybe I should have and so far no problems with the electronic components. I hope we continue to have good luck with them as that can be expensive.

Old 06-24-16, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Saw a commercial the other day for a fridge with an interior WiFi camera you can access from smartphone (so you can check supplies while standing in supermarket). Oh yeah, going right out and buy one of those [right after I rush right out and get a smartphone].

Old 06-24-16, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen that commercial too, IMO it's just a gimmick that is probably prone to failure
I like appliances that do the job intended [and do it well] without all the bells and whistles I don't need/want.

Old 06-24-16, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Ditto all the electronics they're cramming into cars lately. Nice for original owner up until the oem warranty expires, but potential nightmare after that.

Old 06-24-16, 04:12 PM
Speaking of appliances, I finally had to break down and buy a new weed trimmer. The old Craftsman unit finally died. The gaskets seals between the layers of the carb no longer seal and the fuel lines rotted out and the lever to rotate the head 90 degrees to edge trim won't hold any more. It's like 12 years old, so it don't owe me anything.

Figured I buy the same thing. NOT! I want a gas powered single line, curved shaft with rotating head at a cost of under $100. Not gonna happen. First they all have duel trim lines. They no longer rotate the head for edge trimming. And I must use the twisted line as opposed to the plane smooth line. Ended up getting another Craftsman at Sears. The $100 unit on sale for $69. It has duel line and uses the twisted line. The sales person tells me I "can" use a single non-twisted line of the same diameter but it won't preform as well. Well I have a 200 foot roll of non-twisted line that I plane on using up!

Old 06-25-16, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, doesn't pay to fall in love with any of your tools anymore; when they break/wear out, you won't find an exact replacement.

Old 06-25-16, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
fridge with an interior WiFi camera
I guess it supplies its own light source, since we all know refrigerator lights go out when the door is closed...........or do we????? You probably could set the camera to record opening and closing of the door by rug rats looking for junk food. Just big brother visiting.

Old 06-25-16, 01:25 PM
As crazy as it sounds a camera in the oven would make more sense than in the fridge.

Search this Thread