Bad remodelers are out there, watch out.

Old 07-25-16, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad remodelers are out there, watch out.

Started a rehab on a 1920 home, where a "tile" guy came in and made a mad attempt to make a surface for tile. Left original flooring on 24"oc joists which were 2x6, spanning 14', then applied Advantech leaving 1/2" gap between heights, and put down Durock using Subfloor adhesive and screws. Of course the 1/2" gap in height was squishy, as was the entire floor due to the wide OC.

Showed it to my guys for the first time today and just told them to tear it all out. We would rebuild it tomorrow. I'm too old for this crap !! Note the <12" crawl space? It all has to be done from above.

Name:  20160725_081815.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  20160725_141429.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  26.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
A floor joist here..... and we'll put another one there...... and maybe one over here.

Old 07-25-16, 04:35 PM
Yeah, we will have to build support under the midspan, sister the old full 2" lumber and just adapt, improvise and overcome

Old 07-25-16, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
It looks all that's holding those joists up is a few nails. The sill looks to be tired too.

Old 07-25-16, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just send in your little guy and tell him to get it done. I've done repairs in crawls so tight that I had to roll over between the joists so my shoulders would clear. Can you say claustrophobic?

Subfloors are over rated anyway......

Old 07-26-16, 01:25 AM
Larry you are going to have quite a job rebuilding that floor but with old houses come old problems I am glad the owners have you as you do great work. This reminds me somewhat of our outdoor porch we have on the back of our house addition. That porch in the back yard never was built right from day one and we had various people try to fix it until we finally hired a contractor we know who does good work. What we wanted was a maintenance free deck but before that could be done our contractor had to undo the shoddy work that was done before.

One thing that was never done was that it never was bolted to the house with toggle bolts which if this back porch deck was up high would have made that very dangerous. Luckily for us the deck is very low to the ground and even if it had become detached no one would be hurt. Still though that is no way to build a deck and our contractor corrected the problem for us. Having a good contractor from the very beginning though is really important to having a house in the right order.

Old 07-26-16, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
And it isn't just remodelers. I used to paint for one builder that built high end homes but I couldn't begin to list all the things he did wrong. He is the only one I ever seen back fill and pour concrete in the same morning He built very nice appearing houses but I shutter to think what they are like now.

Old 07-26-16, 04:44 AM
Seen that one many times.
If it was mine I'd be removing all those joist.
Poring 3, footings down the middle of the room in the center.
Laying a vapor barrier.
If those old "rim" beams are getting funky lag new 2 X 8's to them, making sure to not have a bolt head where the hangers need to go.
Building a doubled up beam to run down the middle to split up that span.
Install the joist every 16" using joist hangers.
Any wood used below the sub floor needs to be pressure treated since it's closer then 16" to grade.
Use ACQ approved fasteners when attaching the sub floor, and sub floor glue on top of the joist.
I'd be using Advantech for the sub floor.

Old 07-26-16, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Joe. Will do................

Old 07-26-16, 03:08 PM
Oh the story's we could tell

Another contractor called me in to help him out on a 100 year old house that renters that had told the owner they would do the improvements for a break on the rent.
First thing I notice is the baseboards are only about 2" high.
They had added 4 layers of plywood over the subfloor thinking that was going to fix the out of level floor.
I go under the house and there was old brick piers falling apart and sinking, a car jack holding up a single floor joist.
Plumber had cut some of the joist in half to run the drain lines.
No one took the time to see what was causing the real issue.