Stupidity in the 21st century

Old 08-08-16, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Stupidity in the 21st century

Pardon me while I vent.

So, I have two business lines; they are on different sides of the county line which also happens to be the line between Frontier (formerly Verizon territory) and Century Link/Embarq (which has had some name changes over the years). Consequentially I used to have to deal with two separate Yellow Pages publishers until two years ago when the one servicing my primary number bought out the one serving the other number. Great! Now I only have to deal with one company (third party, they don't work for the phone companies anymore). Still had two different reps, but not a big deal, the books are published at different times. When this went down I asked one of the reps about billing and was told they would "eventually" be on one bill. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm still getting two separate bills. They look identical right down to the address and phone number for "Client Care". Only differences are account numbers and where the payment goes, one to Louisville and one to Dallas-Fort Worth.
Finally got tired of this and called them in June and explained the stupidity of this. The agent took my info and said the bills could be combined. This month just got same two bills as usual. Called "Client Care" (which should maybe be renamed "Client Who-Cares?"). First rep I got on the line said couldn't be done, so I asked for a supervisor. Ten minutes on hold later I got a nice young lady who "understands my problem" (SURE they do). She also said because the bills were two separate entities, couldn't be done. I said, this is the 21st century and it's not rocket science; I can't believe this isn't fixable. When I pressed she said she would send a request to the billing department, but didn't know if they would do anything. I requested a call back with the outcome. I'm not optimistic. Unfortunately the order for the upcoming issues is already in, so I have no real leverage. They don't fix this and the sales reps are going to get an earful next year and a lot less of my advertising money.

End of vent.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-16, 10:50 PM
I remember those days well when my father would complain about the telephone book. Obviously he wanted to advertise a bit but not have such a large ad that it would cost him a fortune to advertise. They were always hounding him though and wanting him to get a bigger ad in the phone book. Then before he closed and sold his business the little community phone books would come out and they wanted his business too. Then too I remember different churches wanted him to advertise in their parish bulletin to defray costs of publishing it.

What is a person to do though if you are in business that requires advertisement you either advertise or you watch your business wither and die. With the advent of online advertising now there is even more pressure to advertise online too to bring in more sales. Probably in the future you will no longer get solicitations from phone book companies as more and more people are just throwing them away. When I wanted granite counter tops I looked online for them rather than in a phone book.

Old 08-08-16, 11:57 PM
Here is another stupid move from Frontier.

A few months after Verizon sold their western holdings to Frontier I cancelled my land-line service but retained the FiOS Internet service. Frontier told me they did not bill for Internet only and that I MUST have a valid credit card for them to bill automatically. That was okay by me.

Now, some two, maybe three, years later all of a sudden I start getting four-page statements from Frontier with bold face all capital writing stating DO NOT PAY- You are currently signed up for Auto Pay. I wonder what the heck is this and simply file the bill. The next month I get another. Now this is starting to bug me, it isn't free to generate this paperwork along with mailing it AND including a return envelope. I KNOW the cost is somehow taken out of the gross profits and THAT means higher costs to the customer.

So I call the customer service number. Of course I have to navigate a computerized "tree" and, of course, none of the options really describe my problem but I finally get a real live person on the line. I describe how it used to be (no statement, just a recurring charge on my CC statement) and I ask why it has changed. The man hasn't got a clue, he asks me why I object to getting a statement. We go back and forth a few times and it is obvious to me the man has an IQ that doesn't make it past double digits. I keep telling him that I want the paper billing to stop, the E-mail notification I also get is quite enough. He cannot understand why I object to the paper billing. I tell him it is an unnecessary cost to the company and it IS reflected in the cost of providing the service and since I don't want (or need) the paper billing that cost is just pure waste on the part of Frontier. He still doesn't get it. I end up slamming the phone down.

It is stupid stuff like this, and your double account billing, that raises costs for ALL. So simple yet so hard to eliminate waste.

Old 08-09-16, 01:01 AM
I am glad I don't have Frontier and it is still Verizon not that the service is always great it isn't but it works for us. We still get a paper statement my mom who is up in age prefers it that way but with the cost of postage both ways it begins to add up. Personally I prefer to pay my bill online what bills I do have but I don't mind a paper reminder. I could do just as well though with an e-mail reminder sent to my personal e-mail address.

Old 08-09-16, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joel, that sounds like my doctor's office I always leave with at least 7-8 pages [printed one side] after each visit .... more if I have something new wrong with me. While some of it's nice for a reminder much of it is just nonsense.

Old 08-09-16, 04:06 AM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear, this is NOT a Frontier issue. Yellow Page publishers are independent companies (at least AFAIK); the buyout of the second publisher was two years prior to the Verizon sales of phone service to Frontier in this area. FWIW, so far I have "0" issues with Frontier's phone and DSL service.

If I don't get resolution on the issue, I'm simply going to start sending two checks in one envelope and addressed to the corporate headquarters address, then they can figure it out. Or tell them to go pound sand and stop paying altogether. This will mean, of course, I'll be blacklisted from their books in the future, but as hedge points out there are lots of options for people trying to find me, not the least of which is searching on their smartphones for which I pay nothing.

Old 08-09-16, 07:00 AM
Why even bother with the Yellow pages? That is so 20th century. Those went the way of the public phone booth. Seems like a waste of paper, time and money. You would get better advertising and better coverage with a web site.

Old 08-09-16, 07:21 AM
I agree with Norm, I was outside the last time "Yellow Pages" were delivered and I told the guy to deliver it directly to the recycle bin if he couldn't just not deliver at all.

Old 08-09-16, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
If it cost any more than it does I would drop it. My 1 1/2" in-line add costs me basically one tow per month (per book), so it's not a net loss. There is a significant senior population here who still use landlines and yellow pages.

Got a webpage.

Old 08-09-16, 10:24 AM
The only thing I miss about the yellow pages is I no longer have a booster chair for the grand kids.

Old 08-09-16, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I lived in central fla everyone I knew used the yellow pages for a booster seat, not so here in east tenn as our yellow page book is less than 1" thick.

Old 08-09-16, 10:39 AM
not so here in east tenn as our yellow page book is less than 1" thick.
Hmm....Could it be that everyone knows everybody.

Just kidding, but I couldn't resist that one.

Old 08-09-16, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Haven't open a yellow page in years I just google.

Old 08-09-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Here they use to have to have two, each 3" thick. Of course if you were looking for shoes you could usually only find the A-L book. Actually we had four phone books total. We also had a residential book and an alphabetical listing of all businesses (no ads just a listing all businesses were in there).

How different from growing up. Just one book less than an inch thisk that included the Yellow pages. Of course back then the phone numbers were either five or six numbers. That was when you couldn't dial long distance. You had to dial the operator tell them where you wanted to place the call, hangup, and wait for the operator to call you back when the connection was made.

We had friends an even smaller nearby town that actually had to count long and short rings on the phone to know if the call was for them. (More people on a party line then there were ring frequencies.)

Fun fact: Long and short rings may have originated with ranchers and
farmers. Before Bell started serving rural areas farmers and ranchers used the barbed wire fences to connect phones but no central office so they needed the rings to know who was being called. http://gizmodo.com/barbed-wire-fence...ork-1493157700

Old 08-09-16, 04:12 PM
Ray, I remember party lines but I was just a little toddler back then. Just how old are you?

Old 08-10-16, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Growing up I think we had a 2 party line up until the late 60's. I don't remember any special ring but my grandparents had a traditional party line with long/short rings. Not sure if they ever got a private line or not. My son used to have a party line even though he paid for a private line. I assume it was crossed/shorted wires. The other person used to get very irate with him My son finally switched his phone service to the cable company and no longer has any problems

Interesting article Ray

Old 08-10-16, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
When I lived in central fla everyone I knew used the yellow pages for a booster seat, not so here in east tenn as our yellow page book is less than 1" thick.
Yeah, but you're taller now, Mark.

Old 08-11-16, 08:38 AM
Our local Yellow Pages phone book dropped all residential listings this year. You have to go online to find a residential customer's number. I know a lot of people are unhappy about this, as many older customers don't have internet access. I know I use the residential listings a lot to get a street number to address birthday cards, etc. A few years ago, you could easily get phone numbers and street addresses off the internet, but not so nowadays --- they want to charge you for every bit of information. I suppose it won't be too many more years before land lines and phone books are completely extinct.