Another USPS gripe

Old 08-19-16, 10:39 AM
Another USPS gripe

I ordered another speed controller for my lawnmower project from Ebay. Tracking shows it arrived at the Federal Way, WA sorting facility (about fifty miles south of me) at 10:06 PM August 14. Since then, nothing.

Now I could probably WALK from Federal Way to the Bothell USPS station in the week that has passed, even in my decrepit condition. Usually, a package comes into Federal Way and leaves within a few hours, at most the next day, and it arrives in Bothell a few hours later. Once in the Bothell station it is usually "out for delivery" no later than 9AM the same day or the next day at the very latest and I receive it the same afternoon. So what happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-16, 01:12 PM
Can you get to your local post office? I've had to talk to mine a couple of times and it seemed to help. Not sure what he did but he got my parcel moving.

Bud

Old 08-19-16, 02:18 PM
Hi, Bud.

I'm in a kind of unique situation. The vast majority of my mail comes from the Mill Creek (city just north of Bothell) USPS station but my packages often come from the Bothell station. The reason, as far as I can determine is because Bothell straddles the King-Snohomish Counties division line and I live on the Snohomish County side. (Fact is, the county line is my southern property line.) Zip codes for the two counties stop at the same county line. My Zip code is 98021 but the Zip for the Bothell USPS station is 98011 or 98012. As such, my packages really should go to the Mill Creek station, but they don't. I suspect that if I had a conversation with the manager of either station all I would get would be the royal run-around, each blaming the other.

My location has caused other problems in the past, the most irritating being called for jury duty in King County three separate times. Since the larger part of Bothell IS located in King County I just know the court never looked at the Zip code and assumed I lived in the proper county. Each and every time I responded to the summons stating that I would be happy to serve but being a resident of Snohomish County made me ineligible to serve on a King County jury. Of course I was excused every time.

Further, since Bothell has adopted many of King County's ordinances I am subject to them even though Snohomish county has different laws, often more relaxed. There IS one benefit, however; I can check out books from either county's library.

Old 08-19-16, 10:27 PM
Your situation Joel reminds me of a small convenience store not owned by a franchise. As I remember the owners lived in a separate section of the store. Their problem though was that they lived in the Montgomery county portion of their store and the business end was in Prince George county(sometimes erroneously called Prince Georges). I can't remember now which side they wanted to live in and also have their business in but I do remember it was on a special ballot that they voted on. Once the vote was in they had everything in just that county alone.

My gripe with the postal service isn't so much with them as it is with their partnership between Fedex and UPS. With Fedex it is Smart Post and with UPS it is Mail Innovations well neither partnership in my opinion works well and your packages always arrive later than you want them to. Right now I am waiting on some more packages from Walmart via Smart Post which I call Dumb Post. Our carrier I have no gripes with she delivers the mail on time to our house and handles the packages carefully but I do have a gripe about these partnerships that don't work.

Old 08-20-16, 02:10 AM
Regarding the public-private arrangements with USPS you are preaching to the choir, my friend.

Old 08-20-16, 06:17 AM
If possible I would opt for direct shipping from FedEx or UPS without USPS involved. May cost bit more but worth for you.

Old 08-20-16, 06:41 AM
When I buy low-cost Asian equipment via Ebay (read cheap Chinese junk) sent from the country of origin I do not have the option of specifying the shipping method or company.

As far as domestic shipments are concerned, using the public/private shipping (Richard forgot to mention DHL as another) there is a definite cost advantage as long as you can afford to wait for a few more days. In most cases saving a few dollars is more important to me than receiving the package as soon as possible.

But, my original question remains. Why is my package just sitting in a distribution center less than fifty miles from my home? A second package I am awaiting sat for a week in the Chinese distribution center and that I can understand as waiting for a carrier to bring it to the US. That package is now in, or just left, Chicago having spent less than 24 hours in the sorting station. That 24 hour or less turn-around in the USPS regional sorting centers seems to be pretty common and also understandable. 120 hours (or more) in a sorting center in the US is NOT reasonable.

Old 08-20-16, 06:57 AM
Smart Post and UPS Mail Innovations are the cheapest way to ship and also are the lowest in priority of delivery. Kind of like the media mail of parcels. As always it comes down to: Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two! I would bet all of the shippers are still kicking themselves for offering such detailed tracking on everything, no one needs to know every time their parcel moves 2 feet. YMMV

Old 08-20-16, 08:23 PM
If possible I would opt for direct shipping from FedEx or UPS without USPS involved. May cost bit more but worth for you.
Norm201 with UPS if you are a My Choice member with them you can have just UPS handle your package which I have done for I think the current fee is $3.50. I mainly do that though for really important packages and not anything not very important or expensive. At $3.50 extra per package it gets to be expensive and I really believe I shouldn't have to pay it. Unfortunately if you get free shipping you really don't have much of a choice as to how something is shipped. Other carriers too don't have that option that UPS does unfortunately.