Neighbor with large dumpster

Old 08-25-16, 09:33 AM
Neighbor with large dumpster

Country living is not all it's cracked up to be, not in my neck of the woods. Zoning is agricultural/residential. Minimum lot size is 5 acres on my road and in the township i live in.

The property across from me is rented to a young couple with an 8 or 9 yo boy from a previous liason and a two yo and an infant.

4th of July week they lit firecrackers off at the end of their driveway and they went over my horse/donkey pasture. I had a heck of a time getting my two into the barn as they were very freaked out.

Went across and had conversation with neighbor; requested they let me know in advance next time and it was amicable between us.

they have had a very large dumpster in their yard for a few years now. At first it was a small dumpster, then larger and now, very large. At first, it appeared only the renter was using it. This year, there are more people using it (pickup trucks going in) and dumping as late as midnight.

Apparently, they can have this and no one can do anything about it. Grrrrr!

It does not bother me that they have it, all the traffic does bother me and I am worried about what the future will bring.

Feeling helpless.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-16, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How often is the dumpster emptied? Have you asked them about it? The landlord might be more involved in it than they are.

Old 08-25-16, 10:46 AM
Don't know how often it gets emptied. Called the zoning administrator who is familiar with the landlord and he will do a drive by sometime soon and will talk with the landlord. I don't believe the landlord knows of it being used by anyone else. They do know it's there as it's been there for 3-4 years

Old 08-25-16, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow, knowing what it costs me to have a 20 yard dumpster placed for construction, PLUS the tipping fee, I can't imagine anyone having one full time on their property. Hopefully the landlord will give some assistance. Who is paying for it? The renters?

Old 08-25-16, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I assume it's the type of dumpster you typically see behind a business.
A job site dumpster was my first thought also

Old 08-25-16, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
I'm wondering if they're charging these people for dumping. I'd imagine yes, because illegal dumping is a big deal. In that case, it's a business. Is it zoned for business? Maybe this zoning guy will help.
I don't know why you'd have to put up with it, especially if you had no say in it, especially since there should have been a public meeting or whatever they're called first. At least in a big city this is required. Maybe not in the country?

Old 08-25-16, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My original thought was the landlord had instructed other tenants to bring their trash there but it sounds like the landlord may not be involved.

Old 08-25-16, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Almost wonder if he's running a dump site for contractors or persons without access to garbage pick up. If the landlord is paying for the dumpster he might not be happy about that.

Old 08-25-16, 05:29 PM
Can't be garbage as the zoning administer said can't mix household garbage and building materials. What I can see in the dumpster is mostly carpeting and possibly building materials.

I may go and talk with the renter Sunday if there it's just him and his family there.

I have not been paying much attention except can't help but notice the traffic at times. Can't even say when those times are (weekends, weekdays??). I will start paying attention.

Yes, if he's charging people to dump their building materials in there, then it is a business. Will have to look into that also.

Old 08-25-16, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm betting that this landlord started with a couple of rental properties & had a dumpster for them to use. Then his rental properties grew over time. Now he has several renters & they have one dumpster at one central location that they all use.

I'll agree with Shadeladie, its a pretty serious issue for people illegally dumping trash in someone else's dumpster. Unless the "younger couple" is allowing aunt Suzie, Dad & others to slip in there at night & throw their trash away. I'd think that if people were illegally dumping at all hours of the night, they'd let the landlord know so they wouldn't be kept up at all hours of the night.

But, who knows.

Old 08-25-16, 06:31 PM
The landlord does have several rentals in the local village and area. Most people who live in this area area in the trades, blue collar workers. Landlord does house remodeling mostly. Have not seen him/her over there in over a year. The zoning administrator is going to talk with the landlord after doing a drive by. He said he would call me and let me know the result.

Old 08-26-16, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep us posted, you piqued our curiosity

Old 08-26-16, 04:59 AM
Hate to sound negative about this but...

It sounds like a business to me. It sounds like the landlord is an integral part of it. Sounds like he (the landlord) is a known commodity in the town or village limits. He pays taxes and has a business. He is know among the politicians and most likely has beer or two with them through out the year. Don't expect much from the Zoning manager other than just talk. You'll need to become a sore spot with the town politicians and make a lot of noise. You'll need to get neighbors to back you up. You have a long road ahead of you. I wish you luck.

Old 08-26-16, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if they pass out that kind of info but there should be a business name on the dumpster [who services it] and maybe they'd tell you who pays the bill.

Old 09-23-16, 06:46 PM
Talked with the zoning administrator. He talked with the owner of he property and apparently the renter owns the dumpster. He was working for a building contractor and then went out on his own.

He has his own business installing carpeting and no one else should be using the dumpster.

I think he has an employee or two who are simply working late and dumping in there.

They may have been really busy work wise and that's why I saw more traffic than usual.

Old 09-23-16, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Still...... a dumpster doesn't belong permanently in front of a residence.
It's bad enough running a business out of a residential zone.

Old 09-23-16, 07:38 PM
I agree. It bothers me seeing it there. Don't know what to do about it. Worried about future property value effects.

Feel kinda petty as I appear to be the only one bothered by it. Have not talked with a neighbor but will mention it when the opportunity comes up.

I feel I should mind my own business.

Old 09-23-16, 07:50 PM
No you should not mind your own business in this case. See PJ's post.

Old 09-24-16, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you talked to the zoning administrator did he say anything about the regulations for dumpsters in a residential area? There might be a time limit on how long one can be there.

Old 09-24-16, 03:55 AM
no, did not. Township supervisor mentioned to me that there were no regulations regarding dumpsters. That issue had never been addressed and he really did not want to go there. This is a very poor township, 2/3'rds of which is state owned.

I will call the z.a. again, if I can remember, Monday and ask him. County has no zoning any longer, townships are now on their own. This township combined with another on zoning (larger which has business', gas stations, etc.) in order to preserve the rural nature here.