Never stick cookware

Old 08-29-16, 09:24 AM
Never stick cookware

Venting, good category.
I have been getting tempted to try one of the copper colored ceramic frying pans that advertise to never scratch and never stick. I purchased a small and large ceramic version, different mfg, and they have performed poorly. So I went on Amazon to check reviews and they were terrible. The no stick and no scratch claims appear to be false and it wasn't just one review, but many. And, support was mixed, at best sending a replacement. But what good is a replacement if it is the same as the original which failed.

My vent is, how are they allowed to advertise a product that apparently does not come close to their claims, let alone last a lifetime? I'm sure they are selling a lot of products, but our landfills don't need the extra junk.

Still looking but skeptical.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-16, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, Bud, but at least let me thank you for taking one for the team, as I had been considering one of those as well but you've shown me I can take it off the list.

Old 08-29-16, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
I've had one of those pans for two months. I've cooked pork chops, sausage and burgers with no problems. I haven't tried eggs yet. I did season the pan when I got it.

Twice as many positive views as negative reviews.
I have the one listed in the amazon/product/reviews

Old 08-29-16, 11:41 AM
let me thank you for taking one for the team

x2

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Old 08-29-16, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have some and cooked a egg this AM, Found out not to over heat pan. Don,t need any butter put works better with a small pad. Wipe them out with a paper towel when hot. Did you season them like in the instructions?

Old 08-29-16, 02:09 PM
Hmm...Is that seasoning thing that important?

Old 08-29-16, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure but I did it on mine and have not had a problem.

Old 08-29-16, 04:58 PM
Pete from that link: "But the reverse side of the flier actually had some rather important additional notes:
- Note: This model does not work with induction.
- Never use non stick sprays
- Gotham Steel Ti-Cerama fry pan with titanium ceramic coating is designed for cooking without oil or butter. If you choose to use oil or butter, always use it at the proper heat setting. For example, extra virgin olive oil and butter should only be used at low heat."

The emphasis on low temperature and avoiding non-stick sprays may be why people are having trouble. From what I read they say seasoning is not needed, but maybe it helps.

That particular brand is available from my local B B & Beyond which places it under Maine's strict consumer laws, thus if any problems they will need to replace or refund. That one will not work wit induction but I'm not there yet.

As for 2 to 1, positive to negative, that still isn't impressive but the off brand ones I have are headed to the trash and performance is really bad. If I'm going to have to use a steel scrub pad I might as well use my salad master pans, which still work fine after 35 years.

Thanks for the feedback. I think all is not lost especially if I'm careful about how I use it. I'll try the one linked and let you know.

Bud

Old 08-29-16, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't care that they say you can use medal in pans I always use my plastic stuff.

Old 08-29-16, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a 12" Orgreenic skillet years ago that I disliked at first but am starting to like a lot. The commercials forgot to tell you the pan needs seasoning, I wanted the pan to avoid seasoning.
So far I found the best method for me is to clean and dry the pan, wipe the pan liberally with olive oil using a paper towel and bake at 300 for 1 hour. Remove the pan and don't wipe anything, let it cool.
I was impressed when I could darken or crisp corned beef hash without it sticking.

Old 08-29-16, 07:31 PM
Any non stick pan I have ever had hasn't lasted very long it seems like the coating gets bad and eventually you have to throw them out. Any pan I do buy is always fairly thick and not one of those real thin pans. I also keep the heat low as I have seen too many pans coated or otherwise just buckle up and become unusable. Those really thin pans can't take even a little bit of heat and have always had to be thrown out within at least a month at our house which makes them a waste of money. Also using the dishwasher on them seems to shorten their life quicker.

Old 08-30-16, 07:03 AM
I'm not very good at cooking so I'm anything but an expert on the subject. But I mentioned to my wife, Anne, about the controversy. She has several non-stick pans and never has a problem. She has an Ozier brand that is heavy duty and a cheap no-name griddle style pan that she just loves. Both are non-stick surface and she tends to use high heat. She says she determines the quality by the heftiness of the pan and how it feels. Never has she seasoned the pans and she does put them in the dishwasher. If I come even close with a metal utensil I'll get clobbered.

That cheap griddle style pan mentioned earlier. Last night she made steaks, with onions sauteed in buttered and mushrooms in it. Just as good as the grill. In fact I don't use the grill nearly as much since she started using this pan.

Old 09-09-16, 03:07 PM
Just wanted to update with my choice. My decision was heavily weighted by price as I'm not going to spend $300 and up for new cookware, but the exaggerated claims of non-stick and lifetime guarantee raised my curiosity. The "as seen on tv" brands didn't pass review so they were out. I found one "top ten" rating and liked what they said about T-F**. It has apparently been around a long time and reviews were reasonable. The difficult part was, they make many different models with a mixture of features. In the end I was not able to find a set that had everything I was looking for.

Their non-stick claims ranged from simply non-stick to "Safe for use with metal utensils". I don't intend to use metal utensils but they must be rather happy with what they have to say it is ok.

One feature I will ultimately want will be induction compatible and only a few items from this brand had that and the price jumped. My choice for now was a single 12.5" frying pan and my first use was impressive, as it should be. The instructions you cannot see until you open the packaging say you can season it and you can use a small amount of butter or oil for taste.

If nothing else the searching has educated me a bit on cooking with these materials "keep the temp down". If this one works out and they add induction capabilities at a reasonable price I may get a full set in the future. Right now my #1 go to frying pan has been my 12" Teflon and it is dead. This will replace it, and the old cover even fits.

Bud