Hacking is a crime.

Old 08-31-16, 07:51 AM
Hacking is a crime.

Forget about the content for a moment of everything that has been stolen and leaked from endless sources, how does the world conduct business without communications. So far we havenít perfected mental telepathy and it seems that anything written or spoken will ultimately be viewed or heard by everyone. This can't continue. Despite some revelations that many like, that information was stolen and should never have been made public and everyone in that chain of events needs to go directly to jail. And depending upon the degree of their crime, some need to stay there for the rest of their lives, without any form of communications.

The "freedom of the press" needs to lose some of its freedom.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is sort of like the freedom of speech. You have the freedom to speak on any subject, in any way you please, BUT, you can't infringe on others with your speech. Yell "fire" in a crowded theater and see how long it takes for you to be room mates with Bubba.

Similarly most all the rights we have must be tempered by good judgement and cannot infringe on others' rights. THAT is where you cross the line.

Old 08-31-16, 02:25 PM
Lets clarify the term HACKING.

Computers.
  • to modify (a computer program or electronic device) or write (a program) in a skillful or clever way: Developers have hacked the app. I hacked my tablet to do some very cool things.
  • to circumvent security and break into (a network, computer, file, etc.), usually with malicious intent: Criminals hacked the bank's servers yesterday.

So hacking in of itself is not a crime.

Next lets understand that standards change as to mores and morals. What may have been in moral or dishonest 20 - 30 years ago may not be as such today.

You said to forget content, but I can't and agree or disagree with you. Content will determine if illegal hacking is right or wrong.

Freedom of the press also seems to be a moving target. Just look at today's political talk from both candidates.

Old 08-31-16, 02:53 PM
I'm guilty of writing a book far too often so in being short I relied on everyone to fill in the blanks.
You know I'm referring to the stealing of data via a computer connection of downloading it directly and walking out the door. It's stealing and no one should defend it.

As for discussing the content, that isn't what I was after. Yes, there has been a lot of controversial information uncovered but can we justify having that information if someone stole it.

Be it politics, business, or personal, we need a way to communicate that is not open to the eyes of the world.

I could suggest my solution but I'm sure it wouldn't meet the requirements all involved. But someone needs to come up with a better solution than nominating Assange for a Nobel Prize.

Bud

Old 08-31-16, 03:06 PM
Am I correct in assuming that your post is in direct response to the newspaper article about Russia hacking our voting systems? I just read today's paper and realized that is what it may be about. If so I retract my original response. :Peeping On U2: Will need think if I can even make a response.

Old 08-31-16, 04:10 PM
No, not that specifically. I'm pointing at our inability to trust anything we say, email, or otherwise communicate to another person or organization that it won't end up on the social media or in print. Example, a VP has a serious problem s/he wants to communicate with the company president. It is preliminary information and absolutely cannot go to the press at this time. He can't have his secretary type it up, email or letter. He can't call as someone may be listening. His choices boil down to meeting the president in a remote secure location and talking to him.

If our legal system but a few of the leakers in jail for 20 years to send a message that confidential information is not to be passed around. And right beside them should be the reporter who knew the information was illegally obtained.

I need a cold one.

Sorry if I'm having trouble explaining myself.

Bud

Old 08-31-16, 05:18 PM
No No. I understand where you're coming from. Nothing is private in today's world. In terms of national security and spying upon other countries it's open season and always has been. Technology has only enhanced the methods. And I have no problem with that. But on a business level and personal level I think it's gone way to far. And I would hope tech companies (can you say Facebook) and journalist would have the common sense and courtesy to think about how reporting can affect a person life. But there seems to be no code of conduct on today's reporting or exposing the titillating facts about people.

Case in point. Hollywood actors and actresses of the sixties and before were protected and the public also protected from them as being gay never made the headlines. Such actors as Montgomery Clift, Meredith Baxter, Williams Haines and Rock Hudson to name just a few. They were considered great actors with a following and no harm was done not knowing about their personal lives.

And I don't really give a ***t about what is being twittered among my friends, or people in the public eye. Don't need to know, way too much information.

Now I need cold one.

Old 09-01-16, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Slightly off topic but Norm mentioned facebook. I mostly get on facebook to keep up with family and few old schoolmates but what is it with all these kids documenting everywhere they stop and posting pics of the food they are fixing to eat???