Amazon

Old 09-16-16, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Amazon

I don't bad mouth companies and I think Amazon is a pretty good company but I'm in a shoving match with them right now.

It's almost impossible to contact anyone in customer service at Amazon.
They feed your requests thru multiple filters and then for the most part send you to their blog forums for information.

That's fine and I actually saw the problem discussed that I was contacting them about.

I saw a product I wanted to order. They usually have standard and some type of expedited shipping. This product ships from Amazon, was in stock and had an expected delivery date of three weeks out. But... if you joined their Prime division you can have it in several days. What is the deal here?

I saw many people asking the same question and getting no real answers.

I just ordered a can of Flex Seal last night. The large can (16ozs) could be shipped standard or expedited. The jumbo can (32ozs) could only be shipped regular shipping. Ad says in stock and ships in 4-5 days for an expected delivery date of September 28-October 7th.

The jumbo can...a whole 32 oz quart.

I cancelled the order and contacted the selling company directly. I asked them what the deal is with the shipping times. Their comment today.... we can't find your order.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-16, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
But... if you joined their Prime division you can have it in several days. What is the deal here?
Well, that is pretty obvious. They want you to join Prime. A year or so back you could get free shipping on orders $35 or more, now it is $49 or more. Plus things that don't ship from Amazon do not count towards the $49 so it is harder to make that number.

Another thing I can vent about Amazon is how their prices change all the time. I just checked my cart and again an item went up $2. Somebody told me that you should go on a computer that does not accept cookies because they watch what you have in your cart and raise prices on them.

Old 09-16-16, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
A year or so back you could get free shipping on orders $35 or more, now it is $49 or more.
That would be my rant. I would save up several smaller priced Items and order all at once but the increase in minimum price made it impractical for me. Found a work-around though. I found I could often find the same item on Ebay at or almost at the same price with free shipping. Sometimes even from the same company that was selling on Amazon.

Old 09-16-16, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
I love amazon, but for the love of god, never get their free shipping in december. You might not get it until February.

Old 09-17-16, 12:46 AM
I needed a new digital scale, I won't bore you with why. I found one on Amazon and it stated I could have it in 48 hours IF I used Prime. Standard shipping was at least ten days. I found out why, the standard shipping came from Florida and Amazon held the order for several days, not initiating until last Friday.

I received the scale today (Friday) after six PM. It is a nice scale but why did they have to wait several days before even starting the process? I definitely feel that non-Prime customers are being discriminated against.

And the Ebay thing. For some unknown reason my new (to me) Camry was missing the cup holder insert. Looking at Ebay they had several different models so I picked one of the less expensive ones. Although it is a well-made piece of crap it IS a piece of crap when it comes to holding cups. The genuine Toyota model had a price of about $25 so when I found it on Amazon for less than $20 I thought I found a bargain. Yeah, right! The Ebay unit was free shipping but the Amazon charged $5.99 for shipping. Unfortunately, I didn't see any shipping charge listed on the Amazon unit until AFTER finalizing the Amazon order. Cost was the same regardless of where I bought it but the Amazon one was definitely misleading.

Oh, another thing. Anything that is actually sold by Amazon has Washington state sales tax added on, including any shipping charges. That alone often makes it less expensive to buy elsewhere even if shipping charges are added.

Old 09-17-16, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In years past I'd get a notice from Amazon at the end of the year reminding me to contact the state of tenn to pay however much sales tax I owed Now they add it to the order - sometimes

While I've never had any problems figuring the shipping cost with Amazon it really bugs me that some of the other online vendors make you fill out the order form before you can find out what the shipping will be.

Old 09-17-16, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you should go on a computer that does not accept cookies
I have had this experience when shopping and booking airline tickets. Go see a good deal, switch to another airline to see their deal, then go back to the original to book, and the tickets have either gone up in price, are no longer available, or they are blocked. I have learned to open the browser on each airline, and keep an eye on the time out factor.

Old 09-17-16, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I buy form Amazon for most items I buy online & have for quite a few years. However, its getting harder & harder to convince myself to keep going back just for the reasons posted here. I don't think I had ever paid taxes on anything I have ever ordered from Amazon, until that last time. It had tax included & I am thinking..... What?????!!!!
As for Amazon Prime, I know I am just being hard headed about it, but I hate for anyone to "force" or attempt to force me into doing something. (Paperless billing is one of those things but its another story.) What makes that worse is when I eventually have to or decide to, then I find out I've been mislead about it, that's what really steams my boat.
About 2 or 3 years ago, I decided I'd get an Amazon Prime card cause it will save me money. I went through the whole process of getting Amazon's Prime (credit card... yes credit card) once I got it, I held on to it till I needed to buy something. When I attempted to do so, there was like $100 (I dont remember $90 or $99 or something) added to the total. I contacted Amazon & its a $100 fee per year to use it. Again I am thinking ...... What????!!!! I dont think so! Then I had to go through the process to get the card canceled. The kicker was, yes... credit card! Its on your credit report that you have a-n-o-t-h-e-r credit card.

As for shipping from Amazon, I haven't gotten free shipping in quite a while. I cant remember the last time I got free shipping from them. But, unless I absolutely need something over night, I don't request faster shipping from them. I have found that if they say 7 -10 days for regular shipping, I normally get it in 4 or 5 days anyway. I think they tell you it will be 7 - 10 days to get you to get a Prime card. I have almost always gotten my Amazon items in a little over 1/2 the time they state. If they say 5 - 7 days, I have gotten those items in as little as 3 days. So, I never order faster shipping unless I REALLY need it quick like 1 or 2 days.

As for cookies on your computer, like Chandler, I discovered this when planning a trip to Key West, Fl several years ago. I checked prices on several sites & when I went back to the one I wanted, it went up. I thought, hummmmmm....???? Back then I was sharper than I am now (getting older). It dawned on me to try another computer because of cookies. Sure enough, it was the original price. Now, I either clear cookies when I get ready to buy or get on another computer for that purchase.

Old 09-17-16, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Here is another thing! There filters are very poor. I am looking for an item, and of course there is over 4000 available for what I have searched. I try to sort by customer ratings and first 10 pages are 5 star with only 1 review. That is not helpful. Would you want to buy an item that has 5 stars but only one review or 4 stars with 500 reviews?

They need to have a filter that you can pick a minimum number of reviews. That or a faster way to select a higher page faster.

Old 09-17-16, 06:03 AM
Interesting, I had a similar situation with the sump pump I ordered.
In stock, and says it arrives in 2 days, which it did, after they waiting 5 days to place the order...

I don't order much from them so...And as you mentioned customer service doesn't exist here, or most other places for that matter.

Old 09-17-16, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Contacting vendors directly is a slippery slope for the vendor as bypassing Amazon could cost the vendor his status as a certified provider. They hold a pretty tight rein on these things. Vendors are also monthly provided with metrics which include both response time to requests and bids, as well as, those star ratings you all love. Too many one stars and you could lose your status as well.

Some pricing you are allowed to set on your own, I'm not sure of shipping as I do not sell retail, I only provide installation services for them. The price wars are also pretty aggressive. If you want the order, you almost have to match pricing. Then some jack wagon lowers his prices to try to get more business. I've decided I don't really want to play that game, so I take the custom installs that require one on one estimates.

Old 09-18-16, 12:12 AM
czizzi You might remember a couple of years ago I inquired here about whether anyone sold on Amazon.com as I wanted to sell there too. Well I never have and I might not either as I have joined an Amazon group my cousin belongs to on Facebook and I have learned there are many hoops to have to go through especially if you want Fulfillment by Amazon. One thing I did learn is that Amazon has their own barcode for everything and that you must use that if you want them to ship the item.

Of course you can ship things from your home but then space can be an issue and sometimes pickup is an issue too as you don't know when the carrier will arrive to pick up something. Oh you can always pay more for pick up at a certain time but also see your profits decline too. Apparently the head of the group that does some selling through Amazon had sold on e-bay until his selling privileges were revoked. I never found out why and wasn't interested but now he can sell again on e-bay and he likes it better. So once our house sells I will stick with e-bay.

Old 09-18-16, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
When you contact an Amazon vendor directly it is thru Amazon. Amazon acts like the middleman and sees the correspondence.

Old 09-19-16, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you contact an Amazon vendor directly it is thru Amazon. Amazon acts like the middleman and sees the correspondence.
Yes, that is how it has to be done. If you contacted me and I said text me at 555-1234 I could loose my status by circumventing their system. The unique bar code is probably another way they maintain control through their proprietary system for those selling physical goods.