Why Old Men Drink

Old 10-21-16, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Why Old Men Drink

I had a life line phone. I forgot to make the monthly call so it was canceled. My fault. I would have had to apply all over again. Since I never got more than half a bar and lost that if I didn't hold my head right I thought might as well try another life line company.

Old company did not support smart phones this one does. Sure seemed like a good idea.

The new phone was sent Fed Ex Smart Post. Well it was supposed to be delivered today by USPS but when I checked yesterday it said it had been delivered. Checked no, no package.

So I call the life line phone company and they say there is nothing they can do but enter it as stolen. They said I would have to buy another Tracfone, any one.

Spent a lot of time digging on the internet and found that if I had a phone that took a SIM card I could just a SIM card for 99. Of course looking locally only found one at WalyWorld and they wanted $11. So I bought a $7 dumb phone.

I won't bore you with the thirty minuets spent on the phone trying to get it activated on the life line company. Or bore you with with trying for what seemed like a lifetime trying to dial a phone number while the service rep waited. Took at least ten tries (darn micro sized keys).

Then I noticed it showing I had only 8 minutes left. What? I was supposed to have 350. Another 20 minuets going through phone menu after phone menu choice to talk to a live person. Only to find out if your phone is stolen you only get 10 minutes. I tried explaining I never even received it but no backing down on their part so I ended up buying 30 minuets.

Giving information for the credit card over the phone to a rep who was Indian was the next nightmare. Claimed the first card wasn't valid even though I knew it was so after two tries went to a second card. Finally. Geeze. If I was a drinker Jack D. and me would be commiserating right now.

Oh and the saga isn't over. This piece of over complicated crap phone with miniature keys is going to have to be replaced by something else I can actually work so I may try a cheap smart phone next. Even more money for free phone service.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-16, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
A life line phone ?
Is that the "help I've fallen and can't get up" phone system ?

Are you on TracFone ?

Old 10-21-16, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Not the help I can't get up. It's free cell if you qualify for various reasons. In my case income.

Safelink technically but Tracfone is the provider and their reps I ultimately have to deal with. At least now I get a good four bars at home.

I have narrowed down android phones to a couple I can afford and had 4 stars on Amazon out of at least 500 reviews. Phones I can get on Ebay with no shipping at the same or lower price but I'll post that for opinions elsewhere.

Old 10-21-16, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
I can be your interpreter with Tracfone. Very little English spoken there.

My mother has one of their phones. Biggest problem is you have no way of tracking usage and your minutes very conveniently disappears at an alarming rate.

Old 10-22-16, 12:11 AM
I have Tracfone too only it is not part of their free service. I can tell you one thing I don't like their crappy replacement flip phone they sent. I am sure I have told the story before but it bears repeating. To make a long story short I had a Motorola flip phone it wasn't smart but I really loved that phone, I know crazy huh but it was so much better than this Alcatel piece of crap they sent.

For one thing you could just open the Motorola and answer your phone but with the Alcatel you need to find the right button before you can answer the phone, very frustrating to say the least. The new phone they gave me because of changing network parameters is very cheaply made with a very flimsy plastic outer shell and my old Motorola some plastic but mainly made out of some kind of metal. You never want to drop a cell phone but you certainly don't want to drop this piece of crap as it would stop functioning.

I keep Tracfone though despite friends telling me to do otherwise as quite frankly I am not rich. The price isn't too bad with taxes either each year at a little over a hundreds dollars a year plus taxes so I can't complain. The phone does have better sound quality than my old phone and I don't have anymore dropped calls, so it isn't all bad but I just wish it was made better. Maybe this is just age talking but I really think that even as little as going back to 2005 when I bought my Motorola, that I have kept, things were just made better.

Old 10-22-16, 12:37 AM
Group Moderator
You mention talking with the rep. I would have sworn when I was giving her the credit card info she kept asking about my CD. What CD? I'll let you figure that out.

Old 10-22-16, 04:39 AM
FWIW...A quality brand name smart phone may cost a bit more but in the long run you get what you pay for. You don't need to use all the features of the smart phone. Just set up what you want. Skip all the bells and whistles. Put the Answer button on the opening screen. Buy a descent case. Will protect it from most falls and drops on the ground. As far as plans go...well that is a personal choice that one must weigh in terms of how important it is to have instant communication and good service and support.

Ray, I'm not criticizing your choice of phone or carrier, but have you checked out all the possible carriers available? My understanding is that there is much better cut rate carries than Trac Phone. A neighbor of mine uses Consumers Cellular and pays a very low price with no contacts and very basic phone. If not that I was piggy backed on to my daughter-in-laws T-Mobile business plan I would defiantly use Consumers.

I have an old (used from e-bay) Samsung Galaxy S3. I don't text, don't stream, don't take videos, or e-mail and very seldom take or make calls (I get more wrong numbers than friends or family calls ). I bought a hard case that protects it from falls. And I've dropped it many times from high heights. But I know it's reliable and my carrier is good. However, I also live in a populated urbane area that has good cell coverage. That must be taken into account.

BTW...My choice of "companionship" is vodka or gin when a friend is in need.

Old 10-22-16, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As for the lost phone, call Fed-EX & have them open a report on a lost package & see if you can get that phone, which maybe easier for you to use.

I wont go into a lot of detail but the same thing happen to me on an order from Amazon through UPS not long ago.
Tracking said it had been delivered by USPS but I hadn't gotten it. After some research, UPS took the info from the hand held computer thingy they use to verify delivery. Each time they make a delivery, they scan the package & it records the GPS location where it was delivered. They took that info & used google maps & found it had been delivered to the house at 640... not 648. I went to the house at 640 (street name) & the package was still under the carport by the door. I got my package, left a note for that homeowner & left.
They had no explanation why the tracking info said the package was transferred to USPS delivered by them.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-16, 06:39 AM
Has anyone tried FreedomPop? (Phone & Internet Plans from $0/month - FreedomPop)

Supposed to be absolutely free unless you REALLY use a lot of time, data or text messaging. I know there has to be a catch (maybe ten advertising calls per hour) but I haven't wanted to be the first person I know to try it.

For the record, my Verizon plan is about $27 a month for 100 peak plus 200 off-peak minutes. Texts are about twenty cents each but I have that feature disabled. It is extremely rare that I even come close to my time limits.

Old 10-22-16, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Ray,
I'm guessing the mystery CD she was asking about was actually "city".

Old 10-22-16, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks to all who replied. The only thing I use the cell phone for is to call a wrecker if my van breaks down so zero dollars per month makes sense.

Because the USPS makes the final delivery on Fed Ex smart delivery they won't take a complaint. Instead they give you a number for USPS. Enough hassle with out even bothering to call them.

Old 10-22-16, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like Norm's neighbor, I use consumer cellular. Costs me about $18 per month including taxes. But I don't use the phone a lot so my plan might not be good for everyone. Reception is good, my son's house is a dead zone and his cellphone won't work there but mine does [most of the time]

I also have/like a flip phone. I've bent over and dropped it out of my shirt pocket more times than I care to remember. I had a motorolla flip phone but dropped it one too many times First the outside screen went but when the inside screen died - the phone still worked but you didn't know who called or if you dialed the right number. My current flip phone is the $35 one that CC sells. It's also been dropped multiple times and now has a crack on the outside screen but everything still works