DIY: an unuseable Board

Old 11-14-16, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DIY: an unuseable Board

In recent weeks this board doesn't accept typed input except when done v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I have to look up after inputting every word, and often make corrections.

Are others having this problem?

The system is so bad as to be unuseable for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-16, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
I moved your thread to the venting forum because you are venting and I'm in total agreement.
I, too, have the same exact problem. We will figure this out.

It's actually not just text inputting.... editing functions for us are behaving similarly.

Old 11-14-16, 11:50 AM
Check your settings for the editor mode. If I set it to enhanced WYSIWYG, I have the problem you describe. So I set it to standard editor, which is not ideal, but at least it's usable.

Let us know if you try this and it works...because then we can push it to the tech guys.

Old 11-14-16, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My computer upgraded to Windows 10 against my will and I thought that was my problem.
I am having no problem typing this message right now, but a lot of the time the keyboard will either lag or freeze completely and I need to exit the site to clear the freeze.

I wouldn't even call the typing a lag, it's more like a buffer. You type three or four words and they might appear on the screen or not after a few seconds.

Old 11-14-16, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You type three or four words and they might appear on the screen or not after a few seconds.
I occasionally have that happen on the forums but not that severe, it's more along the line of 3-6 letters ...... or maybe I just type slow Doesn't happen all that often, just occasionally for me.

Old 11-14-16, 02:01 PM
I've had the problem of typing lag in the past as well as today. It seems that it is most pronounced when I have multiple threads open in multiple tabs (Firefox). I think part of the problem is because of the "scripts" running in the background on each thread causing them to be continuously loading long after the actual text is visible.

Last night I tried to send a PM and I found that somehow my profile had been massively changed. Sending and receiving PMs had been restricted and the "editor" had been changed to basic among other things. I set it back to my normal settings, including the WYSIWYG editor and all seems okay now. I am STILL having the delay when typing if multiple threads are open and I still make a huge number of mistakes requiring me to re-type, but the latter is more the fault of my cheap keyboard and my degenerative nerve disorder than it is a problem with this site.

Old 11-14-16, 02:34 PM
I have those problems too, but I don't think it's system related. With me its thinking faster than I can type. Then having to spell check almost every other word. I also double hit keys.

Old 11-14-16, 03:33 PM
Mine was doing that on this and was even worst on another DIY site.
Added an ad blocker and it stopped.
It keep hanging up trying to download the animated ads they keep adding.
Before I added the ad blocker, once it finished loading an ad with voice would just start running without touching the ad.

Old 11-14-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
It's more than an ad and script problem. I can't put my finger on it but I am looking into it. I type fast and it displays slow. I do a lot of board editing and I can see the lag issues present in several areas.

Possibly an FF problem. I need to try Chrome.

Old 11-14-16, 06:02 PM
I use computers at libraries. The computer I was using earlier today was having severe issues with this problem.

I'm at a different library now using a different computer, and having no problems!

In both cases, only Chrome or IE is open, and the systems are well maintained by the library and the compter boots up before I se it each time.

Hope these details will aid diagnosing the problem!

Old 11-14-16, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In both cases, only Chrome or IE is open
If it helps in troubleshooting, I use IE and windows 10.
I don't go out of my way to block ads. I do have the Cox security suite (provided by McAfee), but it's all default.
You can tell when a website is flooded with ads, and this isn't one of them.

Old 11-15-16, 10:36 AM
Right now I'm typing text using Firefox and AdBlocker plus. I have Windows 8.1. I am having no problems with the forums since I installed AdBlocker. Before that it was frustrating and sometimes unusable.

Old 11-15-16, 03:39 PM
I type too fast anyway, so buffering is normal for me. I am intentionally watching this now, and I see no delay. FF, AdB+, W10. 8 MB Ram.