The "whatever" attitude

Old 12-10-16, 06:20 AM
The "whatever" attitude

I do hate being patronized.
Went to a different grocery store than my usual and wanted to get some tomatoes. BUT, there was no price on that display for beefsteak tomatoes and the code on the tomatoes wasn't listed on any of the price markers. So I went with the next best guess I assumed the price would be $1.99 a pound because that was the price listed directly below the tomatoes. But, I planned to watch at the register because I suspected they would charge more. BTW, there wasn't one price tag that matched the product number on ANY of the varieties displayed.

So I watched and sure enough he rang it in at $2.99. I stopped him and said, I don't have a problem paying the $2.99 a pound but the display doesn't show the correct price for any of the tomatoes there. That one is directly above a $1.99 price tag

So out comes the "whatever" attitude while he exchanges smirks with the lady bagging at the end of the counter. He punches the keys to change the price even though I repeated I didn't need to have my price corrected but someone should get the prices on the display sorted out. He finishes ringing in all of my groceries without saying a word, but there was no, zero, indication that anything would be done to correct the display.

I saved my $1.00 but was far more annoyed with his attitude than the price confusion.

Is it just because I'm getting older or do they do this to anyone who questions them?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-16, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife wanted a poinsettia when we went to the store the other day. The price was marked on the display as $2.97. She was mostly watching the prices ring up because of the sale items when the poinsetta rang up at $4. She told the cashier that wasn't right and I said the display stated $2.97. No question, no real response other than she changed the price. I would have thought the cashier would have at least called for confirmation ...... or they knew the price would ring up wrong but only change it for those that question it. Maybe I'm just cynical

Old 12-10-16, 06:59 AM
The grocery store I went to is managed by the same regional manager as my next door store and I have his email. Although my local store has made great progress by way of communicating issues back through the regional manager it is totally a pain that customers need to be the watchdogs for what should be good business practices. When I see a price marked on a product that is what I expect to pay.

On one occasion I took my complaint and receipt to the service desk to get a refund. She was very nice and gave me the product for free plus $1.00 (store policy). But I noticed she gave no indication that she would or someone else would go and correct the sign, so I spoke up. She was a bit confused as she had no idea what to do to make the sign agree with the computer or the computer agree with the sign. She didn't seem to think it was an issue, very sad.

Bud

Old 12-10-16, 07:30 AM
I never buy much more than 10 items at a time, so that I can be sure I remember exactly what each item should ring up at.

Even with so few items, I generally find one mistake in what the tally ought to be . . . . and sometimes it's in my favor. I used to feel embarrassed when complaining about piddly amounts; but now it's a game, and the Store Managers know I'm doing an audit continuously.

I just pity those people who shop at only one store and only once a week spending over a hundred dollars for so many items it is pointless to even look at the register while they're being rung through . . . . they're paying the freight for this sloppiness.

Old 12-10-16, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Well at least they speak English at your neighborhood store. Correcting mistakes at mine can be very frustrating because no one understands me. I'm not sure even the managers speaks English. Usually it ends up one of the customers takes pity on me and translates for me. Don't mean to sound like an ugly American but really in the US shouldn't the store personnel understand English? Shouldn't the signs indicating what is in the aisle at least have English as a second language on them?

Finding anything at Walmart can be the same problem. Though even worse because after three or four people I get someone who speaks English but knows nothing about the stock in the department. "No a battery charger is not a battery operated tire inflator. No that is a battery charger also. No that is a bicycle hand air pump." And like Bud mentioned no way too determine price by looking at the tags because it looks like someone just poured a bucket full of miscellaneous items on the shelf.

Old 12-10-16, 08:04 AM
@Vermont, check to see what your store policy is in regards to overcharging. Like you said "but now it's a game, " I watch sometimes and see a mistake but I don't correct them. I take my food out to the car and walk back in with the receipt. If I correct them at the register they, at best, correct the price. But once the transaction is complete taking the receipt to the service desk I get the item for free plus the dollar. Before I corrected some of their problems (maybe I shouldn't have) I was making about $20 a week in free food plus. When I get home I always go over the receipt because i can't see everything they ring up and they are less than a mile for me so I shoot back.

I got started because my FIL was in early dementia and they grossly overcharged him, thumb on the scale issues. I figured I should beat on them to improve their procedures as not too long from now I'll be that blurry eyed customer trusting them to not rip me off.

@Ray, Need to put that one on Trumps list "America should go back to speaking English!!" I wonder what language the citizenship tests are given in?
Bud

Old 12-10-16, 08:12 AM
For Bud . . . . yes, Price Chopper used to have that $1.00 PLUS the Free Product when they first came to Vermont; but I gather it became too expensive for them to maintain, and was abandoned.

In my business, I get around and shop for food at 3 Price Choppers, 2 Shaws,1 Hannaford, 2 White's, and a few others where I know the Managers by name. Most recognize the problem but also realize that the American workforce has been "dumbed down", and they have to work with the hand that they're dealt.

We still have Vermont Grocery Baggers winning at the Annual Bagger Championship in Las Vegas . . . . so I guess that's something !

Old 12-10-16, 08:31 AM
Maybe it is just my business owner background, but when a customer points out a problem I look at it as an opportunity to improve my business. Where many customers never look at their receipts those of us who do take a very dim view of being over charged. All but two of our stores are Hannaford and so far they have continued the free product plus a dollar. IMO, I need to be on their payroll as a secret shopper to help keep their marked prices correct.

"too expensive for them to maintain, and was abandoned." probably and that should come to the attention of upper management.

Bud

Old 12-10-16, 09:35 AM
This is complicated by the fact that many grocery chains outsource shelf stocking and marking to the food distributors. Those people you see stocking the shelves often work for the distributors and just go from store to store stocking the shelves and labeling the shelves with prices. They scan the item and if the price has changed their little printer spits out the shelf tag based on the price coded in the computer. But if the store changes the price in the computer, the shelf tag doesn't get updated until the next time that item is stocked. And that's assuming the person stocking takes the time to replace the tag; I suspect many don't.

Sams club has a smartphone app that lets you scan your items as you select them. It displays the price and keeps a running total. When you get to the checkout, you don't have to scan your items; you just pay your total through the app and you're on your way. Sadly, it will likely lead to reducing the number of entry level jobs further, and it's another example of how automation is eliminating the need for workers. It does, however, let you verify pricing as you go and certainly speeds up the checkout process (although it does it by making the customers do the work, sort of like self checkouts).

Old 12-10-16, 09:37 AM
These problems are also reflective of the people who need to have a $15.00 minimum per hour legislated into reality.

I listened intently to one opponent yesterday as she described her 16 year old Daughter getting her 1st job at Dairy Queen; she says "No way is that girl worth $15.00 an hour !"

Old 12-10-16, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure even the managers speaks English
I used to live in a small town outside Atlanta called Doraville (home to the Atlanta Rhythm Section). There was a small section of town we called little Viet Nam. Nothing in English on the stores and restaurants. Walk into a restaurant and everyone goes silent like the old western saloon and looks at you, cause you ain't Vietnamese. Exit quickly. It finally took a city ordinance to have the signs listed in English above and whatever they wanted to say under them. Oh, no stray dogs in Doraville........