Windstream Modem

Old 12-28-16, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Windstream Modem

I have Windstream as my internet carrier. They boast fast speeds. I get 12kB/s and they think that is the King's portion. I pay $100 per month for this lousy service. No cable nor satellite available and no Fios yet.

I had a modem malfunction back in October and the guy came out and replaced it as he has done on other occasions. Nothing passed his lips indicating that I would begin being charged for it. I begin getting a bill for $10.79 per month for modem rental and "protection". So that's how the Mafia works??

My argument to them is firstly they cannot provide me service without a modem. It just won't work. To have anything less is not complete service. It was THEIR modem that failed, so I would expect them to replace it.

Secondly I don't plan on paying them $650 over a period of 5 years for a $29.95 modem. They don't sell them, they only rent them, now.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-16, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Something proprietary about the modem that would prevent using one you buy?

We have Frontier DSL (formerly Verizon-provided) and don't get 12k service, but we don't pay as much either. I think we get about 2k, but we pay $31.99/mo. The modem is provided. I thought things like modem rentals went out with the last century. Reminds me of when people could not own a telephone, they were stuck "renting" one from the telco.

The "protection" is obviously for THEM and not YOU.

Old 12-29-16, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know how you'd get the ball rolling or if you could even find it but locally our POCO decided to provide internet, TV and phone service to every customer. Previously cable didn't go to every residence and the only internet available to me was dial up It took the light company several yrs to run all the fiber optic cables but they now offer these services to everyone that has lights. Besides now having hi speed internet, I also get a lower bill by bundling the 3 services. While I miss trading satellite for cable the bundle saves me a few dollars per month and I don't have dial up

Old 12-29-16, 01:05 PM
Nothing proprietary about their modem, John. I found two on Ebay last night for $25 each. I'm buying both to have a spare and sending the one I am "renting" back at the speed of light. They can just kiss my grits. I am waiting for our POCO to run FiOS cables everywhere, but I understand it may not be in my lifetime, so boo.

Old 12-29-16, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Now the $64,000 question: Are they going to "allow" you to use your own modem?

Old 12-29-16, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Larry and John...
I really hope you meant to type Mbps. 2 kbps is about what an old dial up modem at 2400 would give, and 12 kbps is not much better. Any modern dial-up modem would run in the 40-50 kbps range except on a very noisy line.

Larry, I just looked at your available rate plans and I pay about the same for 50Mbps internet and digital TV service. I still have a landline phone as they will normally work even after cells and internet phone service has been exhausted or overloaded. I guess I'll quit *****'n so loudly.

John, I looked at your's as well, and not an introductory price. You should be getting a minimum of about 12 Mbps for that money. Why not buy a modem of your own if it will save anything? $40 or less probably.

Old 12-30-16, 02:32 AM
Yeah super typo. Actually Windstream, in their last email encourages you to use your own modem and will give you a list of the modems that will work with their system. I guess it is just one way of reducing their initial outlay of service hardware.

I even mentioned your service, Vic, when communicating to them as I remembered it from earlier posts. Since communications is not state regulated I don't stand a chance of our Public Service Commission doing anything about it. It falls under the FCC, which is as worthless as warts on a frog's butt. Ergo. Do not call list

Search this Thread