Opening stuff

Old 01-03-17, 03:42 PM
Opening stuff

I'm not talking about those GD bubble pacs designed to foil thieves and pi$$ off the rest of us, I'm talking about chip bags, cracker sleeves, cookie packages, the cereal bag etc. Is it me (admittedly old but not yet feeble) or are these things a lot harder to open then they were 40 years ago?

I got tired of struggling with a chip bag today, gave it a real yank and ended up with chips all over the kitchen floor. The wife found my struggle very entertaining.

Next time I'll use my K-bar.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-17, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That why I keep a pair of scissors handy.

Old 01-03-17, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
i too always use scissors.

Old 01-03-17, 05:19 PM
I know, or think that I know the reasons, to prevent tampering, theft, etc., but yes, it is ridiculous. I understand that some of it is me, like certain cookie packages that I instinctively hand to my wife, knowing that she'll at least figure out how to get into without turning it into a package of crumbs like I would do. But the struggles with some things cause me to wonder what the heck we'll do as we get older. There was something a while back, can't say what it was now, but I remember telling her to enjoy it because we wouldn't even be able to get into the package in a few more years.

Old 01-03-17, 06:30 PM
I've given in to the scissors for quite some time now. There have times I've been tempted to bring the item back to the store and tell the manager to open the damn thing.

CW...I found your rant to be very entertaining and laughed out loud.

Old 01-03-17, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
My pet peeve is individually wrapped bullion cubes. Sometimes I spend five minutes try to find the darn seam. I have at times resorted to cutting them in half then picking off the foil.

Old 01-03-17, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know the feeling... those little packs of saltine crackers for example.....
I use my pocket knife on things I cant readily get into. Then I look around & my wife ask's; "what have you been cutting with that knife recently?" She knows I cut into rat poison & everything else with my knife. I use my knife for just about everything.... and she knows it. Then I get that look when I cut into the cracker, chip or cookie bag.

Old 01-03-17, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
It's alright hun..... look..... the rats are still alive so the poison can't be all that bad.

Old 01-04-17, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
my wife ask's; "what have you been cutting with that knife recently?" .................. I use my knife for just about everything.... and she knows it. Then I get that look when I cut into the cracker, chip or cookie bag.
Been there done that Last time we had breakfast at a fast food joint my biscuit was too hard to cut with a plastic fork so I pulled out my pocket knife, wiped it on my jeans and cut up my biscuit

I've also found things harder to open in recent years I thought it was more me than anything else but maybe not

Old 01-04-17, 07:33 AM
I used to use my teeth, but they don't work as well any more, not the fault of the packaging. Now I use my knife for everything, I don't leave home without it.

Bud

Old 01-04-17, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like I'll need to be packing a side weapon in the near future just to have a snack. I struggle with the blister packs that everything comes in and take a knife to the side. Make a nice clean cut in case I have to return the darn thing the package isn't totally destroyed. Haven't found a reason to carve any rat poison lately, so my blades are relatively fresh.

Old 01-04-17, 08:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

I also agree... with the not so easy opening cereal packaging and many other food item packaging mentioned in this thread thus far. Similar thread on this same subject matter here:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ve...packaging.html

I'll add to the not so easy opening food items as cream cheese packaging... Simply not enough flap ends to easily grab with manly adult fingers. Another package is coffee sold in heat sealed packages. Most coffee packages have plenty of flap or lip ends. It's the glue used. Certainly plenty of other food and non food items with the problems of opening the packaging.

IMO there are five must have tools in a kitchen. Knife, scissors, can & jar openers and clothespins.

Suggestions: Cut the cereal package from one outer end to center. Then cut vertically to the top. Can also be cut at an angle to make a pour spout. To close fold down and use clothespin(s) to reseal. Clothespins can be used for bags of chips and most like or similar packages. Even those food items in freezer...

Cream cheese packaging. Cut across top. Open. To reseal fold it up, then insert it into a folding plastic sandwich bag.

For many of us the package opening difficulties are real. Opening just become more difficult as we age. We loose some manual dexterity. And mostly patience!!!... Work around solutions resolve them.

Old 01-04-17, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
And mostly patience!!!
I totally agree! Not only are things harder to open, it's easy to get frustrated trying Just opened today's mail and had one envelope I couldn't even get my knife started it was glued so tight

Old 01-04-17, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
I'm still getting most of this kind of stuff open without trouble but it could be that I'm getting more practice than the rest of you