Package delivery.... maybe.

Old 01-06-17, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Package delivery.... maybe.

My wife's boss ordered us steaks for Christmas but we never got them. He contacted the company who contacted the delivery company who claimed they gave them to the young man who lived there at street level. I haven't been called a young man in decades and my driveway is better than a 1/4 mile long with the house not really visible from the road. Anyway the order was resent.

We went out for lunch today and when we came back it looked like a stryofoam cooler was sitting on the edge of my driveway about 30' or so off of the paved road. I thought it was something that had just blown there but my wife noticed a shipping label as I drove by so I got out and found it was the reorder of her Christmas present. At least we got it this time!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 12:17 PM
I just went through a hassle with Amazon.com not the same as yours but frustrating. Apparently they don't put UPS labels on their return slips they send via e-mail which is frustrating. Only information they have is just a bar code they want you to include in your return package. So I wasted 2 shipping labels and it is lucky I have plenty more. When the UPS driver comes he will then have me affix the label and then it will be on its way. He apparently came today but I never heard him.

Old 01-06-17, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
I finally found a volleyball team to play on over the winters but decided I need to wear knee pads. Feeling exceptionally lazy, I ordered a pair online from the sporting goods store just a couple miles away. Three weeks later I called them to ask where they were. They couldn't find them so they overnighted me another pair. Only they screwed that up and overnighted me a new pair TWICE. Once the original order showed up, I now have three pairs. I'm just waiting for them to ask for two of them back....

Old 01-06-17, 03:14 PM
So goes the trend away from brick and mortar stores to online purchasing, it will only get better, I mean worst!

Old 01-06-17, 03:41 PM
I probably do half my purchases on line and I expect to increase that number. I guess I should count myself among the very lucky as I have never had a delivery problem.

Last year the UPS guy delivered a package following a snowstorm. It was early AM and I had not yet cleared the driveway of the 10" of snow that fell overnight. He parked on the street and carried the large package to my doorstep, about 120 yds. He was wearing shorts!

Old 01-06-17, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
I have an "English troubled" USPS delivery person. I get letters and packages from many places with the same house number.... not street name. Three days ago I received a "must sign for" package in my mailbox. First class from Pitney Bowes. No idea what it was but his butt was in trouble because they were looking for that package. I just left it hanging in the mail slot. He was thrilled when he found it.

Old 01-07-17, 04:01 AM
"English troubled"
Is that similar to "English challenged"??

hahah

Old 01-07-17, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Marksr, about 6 months ago, I ordered from Amazon & when UPS said it was delivered & I hadnt received it, I went to the UPS office here & they found it had been delivered to the wrong address & where.
When UPS, FedEx etc deliver a package, they have those little handheld devices & they click the option that it has been delivered, etc. This sends the info to the UPS system that the scanned package has been delivered but also & most importantly for me, it sends the GPS location of where it was delivered.
They pulled up my package by the tracking number, got the GPS location/co-ordinance, looked it up on Google & showed me the house & address where it was delivered. In my case, it should have been delivered to 748 but was delivered to 740. I went by that house & it was still under their carport. I got the package & left a note for the home owner in case he has a security system etc.

I hope this helps in the future......

Old 01-07-17, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the UPS driver looked at my driveway, said naw, saw a young man walking down the road and gave it to him .... or maybe at one of the neighbors. Supposedly their records show it being delivered to us. It was a week or two later when her boss asked about it and my wife told him we hadn't received it. I've gotten packages before from UPS where tracking said it was left on my porch where in reality it was hung on my mailbox. Not sure what GPS would show since I have 16 acres and my house isn't near the road.

Old 01-07-17, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
I also have a 1/4 mile driveway but ours is flat and easy to drive up. Mark, I seam to recall that you driveway can be a challenge to drive up with larger vehicles. I also seam to recall that you have this issue a lot. Perhaps it is time to build a covered wood box where deliveries can be dropped off marked "place deliveries here". It would be no less secure then them just leaving it on the side or hanging on the mail box.

Old 01-07-17, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In decent weather there is no good reason for any truck with 10 wheels or less to go up my driveway BUT there does seam to be a shortage of good drivers. I've had tri axle dump trucks, block truck and concrete truck up here before. FedEx made a delivery to my door last week. POCO claims their pickup trucks can't go up it.

Erecting a holding box would be a challenge as the ground next to the road is on about a 75° incline, the only near level [25°] area is my driveway with the mailbox on the edge of it.

Old 01-07-17, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
That is why God invented 4x4 posts.

Old 01-07-17, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, you can just never tell. Ordered a thermostat for my car off Ebay last weekend. They estimated it would be the 12th for delivery. Saw it went in the system on Tues the 3rd. Messaged the guy and asked if it would really be here sooner, he said most likely. FedEx Smartpost, where FE delivers to the local PO then they bring it to the house.

Well, it was coming all the way from Tempe...a whole 200 miles away and they have a major hub in Phoenix. In fact stuff comes from Las Vegas right through my town, down to Phoenix, then back up to me all the time. Never had an issue and almost always several days earlier than estimated. So far the 'stat has been Tempe to Chandler to Phoenix to somewhere else in Phoenix and doesn't show it leaving yet.

In the meantime, I ordered a knife from Michigan on the 4th and expect it today. 2000 miles USPS First Class with tracking and it's in town in 2 days.

And people complain about USPS. Sorry, I'm not one of them. (Yes, I know FE and UPS actually transport for USPS.)

Old 01-07-17, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Toyln, I guess you've never tried to set a 4x4 into slate rock

Old 01-07-17, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Sure...you just have throw a wench into everything. I haven't yet, but I think I would be willing to try. I have a very big hammer drill.

Old 01-07-17, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh it can be done, we used dynamite where my garage/warehouse is at the bottom. Scariest part was when a chunk of slate when flying thru the air, over my truck and the compressor [trailer] and hit the hood of the truck that had the dynamite in the back.