I love New England - but . . .

Old 01-08-17, 02:31 PM
I love New England - but . . .

I lived in all four corners of the US and returned to the Northeast 35 years ago by choice. I love it here. However, snow removal sucks. I spent the day shoveling the sidewalk and deck and snow blowing the driveway - all in 18* temps with the friggen' wind blowing a half gale (at least it felt that way) out of the north.

Thank God for brandy!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-17, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
I agree but plain and simple...... snow sucks.

Old 01-08-17, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
There's a reason I moved here. Though I missed most of it today...66 and sunny. I see plenty of snow on my VA friends FB pages.

Old 01-08-17, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
For me it's a vacation... obviously because everything comes to a stop when it snows. My wife has to hold me back and feed me breakfast before she will let me put on those clothes I only get to wear once a year and go out and play with my snow blower before it melts. I can't tell you how many snow days have been ruined by 45f and sunny.

Old 01-09-17, 02:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've been below freezing since thursday with 5-6" of snow falling friday night and saturday morning. Today's high is forecasted to be at 34 My driveway is on the north side of the hill with a good portion of it never seeing any sunlight so it will take wednessday's 60 degree temps to melt the snow. And of course going along with murphy's law the transfer case lever broke or came loose on my jeep - at least it's stuck in 4 wheel low .... and my 4x4 truck has a flat, frozen to the ground.

But so it doesn't sound like I'm complaining, here in east tenn our snow/cold snaps are short lived
This one is just a little longer/colder than I care for.

Old 01-09-17, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pilot Dane but the 2 inches of ice out there is hard on a snow thrower.

Old 01-09-17, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We're like Marksr. Snow started Friday and went through Saturday. 5", which is a lot for our neck of the woods. Nice and pretty, but it won't melt until at least Tuesday. Sunday low was zero and today 12, so it isn't going anywhere. We get thermal heat from the sun, but it only melts the surface where it forms black ice.

Our jobsite today would have been up a secondary road which is abandoned by sand trucks, so I am sure wifey will have plenty for me to do around our place.

Old 01-09-17, 03:51 AM
I've lived here in Vermont full time since 1987 (although I had a vacation place here since the mid-1970s) and TODAY marks my 13th Anniversary since January 9th, 2004 when I awoke to -48F and the power chose to go out for 6 hours.

After 6 hours, the power came on and the Boiler fired up; but the hydronic baseboard was frozen in a few strategic spots.

After another 10 hours of keeping two kerosene heaters and a wood stove pumping out heat and chasing the frost around with hair dryers, we were back in a normal more relaxed mode . . . . after almost freezing to death.

Now, any day that's above -48F and the power is on ain't too bad. And from January 9th onward, things are always looking up, and if the incoming water line hasn't frozen up, then you know it's going to be a good day !

So I'm not complaining.

Old 01-09-17, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I despise winter for many reasons but, just to keep this on the lighter side, (I live in north Louisiana) I tell people I am too far north already. So moving further north will never be something I'd even remotely consider. Dont get me wrong, the northeast is a beautiful place, especially in the fall when the leave turn etc. The history & the old buildings etc. Just like Louisiana, every state/region has its beauty in its own way, but, hey, if I move, its going to be lateral at best. I am thinking more in the direction of Jamaica... lol

Old 01-09-17, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
if the incoming water line hasn't frozen up
Our water froze up for an hour or so yesterday and according to murphy's law it didn't stop flowing until after my wife started dyeing her hair. Never knew it took so many bottles of water to rinse True to form, the water came back on after she finished.

Old 01-09-17, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Winter of '93 I was sent to Chicago for our airline. Exited the plane and the pilot warned us to cover our bodies when we left the terminal as it was -65 with wind chill. Oh, great. I lived like that for a couple of months, working on the tarmac

Chicago has two seasons.........winter and the 4th of July.

At least here we can go barefoot one day, snow boots the next, then back to barefoot all in the same week.

Old 01-09-17, 09:20 AM
2 below zero this morning. Forecast for 50*+ tomorrow with rain/sleet following and more snow this weekend.

Old 01-09-17, 10:58 AM
Those big temperature swings can be maddening.

Shortly after I moved here, we had a frozen pipe coming from our Spring House roughly 380' from the entrance to our basement.

This came after a "January Thaw" . . . . which was pleasant. We had accumulated over 4' of snow on the ground, which insulates everything; but the 40-50 Spring Thaw melted everything in a matter of 2-3 days.

Then, immediately after the last snowflake was melted, the temperature plunged down to -35F where it hung out for a week . . . . and with no snow cover and all that moisture in the ground, the frost descended deep into the ground where my old 1" galvanized pipe (from the 1940s(?) was located only 4' below grade (which is usually a safe depth around here).

I'm from Wisconsin where we had other problems, but where temperatures were one thing that was relatively stable. I didn't know what to do . . . . except lug water by the bucket from the Spring House back to our dwelling while I thought about it.

I called a local Farm Service outfit that had a reputation for being able to thaw any pipe, and they came out and hooked up welding cables to both ends of the roughly 400' galvanized pipe to put some heat into the steel pipe. Somehow that burned out his transformer on the truck's welding apparatus. So then he pulled out another device which was a steam generator which was an insulated flexible metal tube that directed steam down the center of our incoming water line, and that worked for about 250' until he hit what must have been a 45 Elbow in the underground galvanized pipe, as it went around the corner of my barn.

That's when he gave up, saying "I don't know what else to do; I guess you're on your own !" (He still sent me a Bill for $400 which was discounted 50% off his normal $800 because he had failed ) . . . . and he was the best of the best !

So being on my own, I wound up striking up my Boiler and rigging my Pump to run backwards and pump the hottest domestic hot water I could create (hand lugged by my Wife) backwards down in incoming waterline until something finally gave. I guess we had no foot valve in the Well at that time, or it was broken.

Then I put the pump (a Myers 1909 Piston Pump) back in the normal operating arrangement, and we kept the muddy water running constantly for quite a while. Afterwards, we found ourselves sucking air anytime the water table dropped, and getting muddy gritty water when the water table was high, so I concluded that the old galvanized pipe had rusted through (and that welder didn't help extend its life) so we had a new continuous 450' EDPM Pipe installed the following Summer.

So last night it got down to a mere -17F . . . . not too shabby. I don't need no January Thaw !

It wasn't any fun at the time; but it feels good to reminisce . . . . I like stability.

Last edited by Vermont; 01-09-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 12:24 PM
Michigan here!

This weekend was mid teens but at least we've avoided the sub zero weather so far.

This winter has been pretty mild, so far. Over the holidays there were many days in the upper 30's, bright sun, no wind, felt like spring.

Seven more years, kids will be out of college, and we're out of here as soon as we can agree where to go.

I'm for the TN/KY area, wife want AZ! I don't do good without green grass & trees so that's out for me!

Old 01-10-17, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Well, this is THREE days in a ROW that I have had to put on long pants instead of shorts and yesterday I couldn't ditch my jacket until almost lunchtime!

Old 01-10-17, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But I remember the ice at Christmas in Melbourne in the 80's

Old 01-10-17, 03:48 PM
Well, this is THREE days in a ROW that I have had to put on long pants instead of shorts and yesterday I couldn't ditch my jacket until almost lunchtime!
Yea, but having visited FL in the summer and being locked inside while there is 200% humidity, bugs, and stifling heat we'll be enjoying beautiful sunny, warm summer days.

Get your licks in while you can because the tide will turn!!!!

Old 01-11-17, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Only bothers the un-acclimated. Wife and I play golf all summer and take a break this time of year.

The Tide got beat the other night.

Name:  weather.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  40.4 KB

Search this Thread