Happy New Year

Old 01-10-17, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Happy New Year

Yeah, right.

Was actually was feeling good about the new year. Finally got one credit card paid off and my property taxes to zero with homestead and over 65 exemptions.

Was driving back from VA after my blood draw for my upcoming checkup when the "gear warning light" starts flasing like a demented turn signal indicator.

This happened once before just before the warranty ran out on the transmission I had rebuilt last year. Took it the next day to my mechanic but by then it wasn't flashing and the code wasn't in the computer.

Today I drove straight to my mechanic and didn't shut the engine off. He was able to grab the code this time, second gear ratio not correct. He thinks might be wiring ot the solinoid but won't know till he gets on it. I don't think I should have Googled the code because online I get mostly hits on Ford transmissions being crappy.

Of course my VA appointment is on the other side of town and this is a big town. Really don't want to risk trying to drive there so that means I'll take the bus to VA. Well that is a bit of a misnomer. I will take a bus to the rail line to downtown, the rail line downtown and then from downtown a bus to VA. Appointments at 3:30 so I figure if I leave the house by 11:00 I have a fair chance of not being late. Of course if things go as usual at VA I'll actually be seen by the doctor around 5:00. Don't even ask when I'll get home.

Yep, this is going to be a really great year.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Yes indeed, a great start.

Sorry, other than loosing a 25 y/o crown and cracking another tooth, I'm doing pretty good. Liver enzymes improved and now in normal limits, not even thinking transplant at this point. Fixing things on car and even making it look "sporty". Have kept all the weight off (230 before liver problem, 178 6 weeks later back in June/July) even eating like I was 16 again. Have actually gotten comments on how good I look (well, as good as I can anyway). No surgery needed on my shoulder injury cause they have no way of fixing it, so I have to live with my collarbone looking like its gonna punch through the skin. Better than them nicking my subclavian artery and bleeding out on the table.

So anyway, what type of car and do you know the tranny model number? I had the similar issue with a Ford tranny in a Mazda Tribute and 2 shops both told me it wasn't designed for a heavier vehicle like mine. Hope yours isn't a CD4E. It was basically designed for small and smaller midsize FWD cars. Sounds like a natural choice for a 3500lb 200+hp 4WD SUV huh?

Old 01-11-17, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Overall I expect it to be a good year .... but then I am an optimist

The weather for the last week or so seems to have brought on some bad luck. The bushing that holds the transfer case cable in place on my jeep broke and my 4x4 truck had a flat tire. I put 20 psi in it via an air tank only to find it flat again the next day so I removed the tire, aired it up to 40 psi and can't find any leaks ?? My youngest son hit a deer with his primary car, the alternator went out on his bronco and then during this snow event he had a flat tire followed by a stuck emergency brake.

Non of these things would be a big deal by itself or in warmer weather, not sure why it all had to happen at once

Old 01-11-17, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Won't get an argument from me on Ford trannies. Back in the late 90's/early 00's we used to tow an early-to-mid 90's Taurus or Sable on practically a daily basis. Those trannies were known to fail with as little as 40k miles on the ticker (and if it wasn't that it was a premature failure of head gaskets on the 3.8L engines). More recently, my sister bought a 2013 Fiesta that is on its 3rd tranny. The CVT trans in that thing is a real dog.

Old 01-11-17, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
The Taurus and Sable twins used the AXOD family of trannies. Wiki has a list of the problems they had...whew...great design.

Old 01-11-17, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Van is a 2005 Ford Freestar. Really don't know what transmission. Glad to read you are doing better Vic.

Old 01-11-17, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have the same van. Ford replaced the converter on a recall about 5 years after I bought it.

Old 01-11-17, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
You should have a AX4N also called 4F50N. Supposedly the issues that were common with earlier models were fixed. You are 2 generations past the original AXOD

Old 01-11-17, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
Well good new and bad news. Drove it to the store and back today and the warning light never came on. Good news is my mechanic thinks it is not a bad part because a bad part would stay broken. Bad news is he figures electrical and will be a real Easter egg hunt unless it is very obvious. Oh and got a jury summons today.
You should have a AX4N also called 4F50N. Supposedly the issues that were common with earlier models were fixed.
Thanks that makes me feel better.
Ford replaced the converter on a recall about 5 years after I bought it
Fingers crossed when they rebuilt it the converter they put in was an after the recall one. Thanks for that info.

Old 01-12-17, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
Hey, as to the converter recall, are you the original owner? It only affected certain VINs and even if you weren't, they would have probably found you through the DMV. Yes, they have to do that. I'd call your local dealer (non drug type...lol) and have them check.

If they replaced the converter during the rebuild last year(?) I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-12-17, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know it doesn't matter when you bought a vehicle, if it is covered under a recall the dealer will make the recall repair for free. 20 yrs ago I bought a used jeep and got a notice that something with the brakes had been recalled [no longer remember what it was] Took it to the dealer and they found out another previous recall hadn't been preformed so they did it also.

Old 01-12-17, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Depends on what it is and when it was discovered Mark. They only HAVE to do it for free for a set time according to law, but it's probably cheaper and easier than being sued if they don't and something happens.

5th topic from the bottom. Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

The way I read it is, if you bought a 2005 vehicle that had a recall initiated this year, it may not be covered. Basically, 10 years back from the year the recall is issued

I had the same thing a couple of years back when I took my car in for a possible safety repair. They were old issues, just software and some bolt that needed locktite, but they performed them anyway.

Sometimes a change is made in manufacturing or suppliers, so not all of a particular year is affected. Seems even more often if the vehicle or component is manufactured at more than one plant.

Old 01-12-17, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember exactly how but you can check the VIN number online for any recalls .... and not all recalls are notified to the owner. I had a leaky trans line on my jeep and went online to get help figuring out the repair since it didn't appear to be an easy swap. That's where I learned of a silent recall and got the dealer to make the repair with no cost to me

Old 01-12-17, 07:34 AM
This is where you can check for any safety recalls by VIN. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Mark, I think when you wrote "silent recalls" you meant the cases where a manufacturer will extend warranty coverage past the normal end date on specific problems. These will be specific to the manufacturer and are NOT considered "recalls" under federal law. I think there is a subscription service for these but I don't know for certain where to access it. There IS a fee for the service. Your best bet may be a larger, but independent, service garage and simply ask about any silent warranty extensions for the specific vehicle.

Old 01-12-17, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe it was a silent warranty extension, all I know is the fluid lines for the tranny aren't the normal unscrew each end and replace so I looked online and found some info that alluded to the possibility of it being covered even thought the normal warranty had run out. Always nice to have someone else do a difficult job for free