why proof read

Old 01-12-17, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
why proof read

It's bugged me for years all the typos and other mistakes in our local newspapers. I read this one today, if you go by the headline and first paragraph - a town was arrested/charged for burglary
Johnson City Press: Police charge Boone, N.C., in two home burglaries

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
I think a lot of the typos are because of spellcheck. As long as a word is spelled correctly, it gets a pass even if the syntax/grammar is bad or if it's a homonym, i.e. there/their, were/we're. In the link, apparently the city of Boone is being arrested?

Old 01-12-17, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Amazing how leaving out one word [man] changes the article

Since spell check the local papers don't have as many mis spellings but are still full of errors

Old 01-12-17, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has been one of my peeves for years as well. I mean, in a sense, they are english majors for goodness sakes!

The other thing that bothers me about news agencies is how they feel "NEED" to make every story as dramatic as they possibly can. Look, I understand they need to report news & it needs to be exciting. But for example; 18 wheeler crushes car in accident. When the story comes out along with pictures, we find that it was a 6 wheeler box truck in which the car ran off the left shoulder, over corrected & ran underneath the truck. But to make the story dramatic, it gets written all out of proportion & paints a whole different picture of an entirely different scenario & gives that impression that a truck four times the size ran down a car for no reason & just run it over & crushed it.

That brings up another scenario. For example; 18 wheeler crushes car... then the pictures come out & the car has a broken head light... end of story.

The press taking a simple story & blowing it all out of whack... making it as dramatic as they can possibly fabricate. Then they wonder why people hate the press. But its like the electric company... where else you going to go?

Old 01-12-17, 05:23 AM
It's so sad that no Reporter from The Johnson City Press is given credit for their literary prowess in authoring this creation !

Old 01-12-17, 05:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It would have been clearer if it had said "a Boone, NC man" or a man from..... However, you missed a far worse mistake.

Matthew McGimsey, 39, with charged with two counts of aggravated burglary.
With charged? It should have been 'was charged'.

I constantly see & hear major mistakes, from news reporters & politicians. Here are a few of them. The mistake is first.

The people that - The people who
Could of - Could have
Try and - Try to
Have got - Have gotten - should only be used in the passed tense.
Like I said - As I said

Last edited by donoli2016; 01-12-17 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:13 AM
Well I believe that some cities SHOULD be held accountable for their high crime rates.

Old 01-12-17, 06:42 AM
Have got - Have gotten - should only be used in the passed tense.
Past tense.

A major part of the problem is that the (lazy) writer ASSUMES the reader has the ability to read the writer's mind and therefore deduce what the writer is attempting to write. Second part of the problem is that when someone attempts to educate the writer by correcting the mistake the corrector becomes an a***ole. Third part is the writer (or speaker in oral conversation) retorts with, "You know what I meant!"

Old 01-12-17, 07:29 AM
Very good Furd. You passed the test. It is past tense. The real problem is that there was a change in the way that grammar was taught. No longer do they teach students how to diagram a sentence. It stopped in the 70s. Without that, the structure was lost forever. That's why people can't speak or write well.

Old 01-12-17, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by donoli2016
". . . That's why people can't speak or write well . . ."
But just grunting seems to be so much more efficient !

Old 01-12-17, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The press taking a simple story & blowing it all out of whack... making it as dramatic as they can possibly fabricate.
I think that irritates me even more than the mis spellings or grammar errors. What ever happened to just reporting the facts? Do they think we aren't intelligent enough to take the facts and come to our own conclusions? I'm more likely not to read any article that has a 'shocking' headline

Old 01-12-17, 08:37 AM
I think that irritates me even more than the mis spellings or grammar errors.
Make that 'grammatical errors'. Grammar is a noun. Grammatical is the adjective that describes the noun errors.

Old 01-12-17, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what I meant to say but struggled on the spelling and spell check didn't help - I must of really murdered the spelling on my attempt maybe there is a reason I'm a painter and not a writer

Old 01-12-17, 09:00 AM
Proof-Reading presumes that you've written something that your name is associated with and which will become part of your legacy on this Planet.

However, verbal communication is seldom transcribed in to written form for review. If it were, can you just imagine how many filler words would be clipped out and left lying on the Proof-Reader's floor; such words as:

like;
well;
ya know;
ummm;
listen;
basically;
I mean;
okay;
so;
right;
whatever;
sort of;
look;
anyway;
out there;
impact and impactful;
totally;
nuance;
so much;
I believe; and "at the end of the day".

I appreciate this opportunity to reach out and have a conversation about this stuff which is, well, basically, kind of, you know, having an impact on me and at the end of the day, well, driving me nuts, ya know ?

Whatever !

I listen to NPR occasionally (while I'm in the shower, and often hear PhDs using language that's littered with 50% filler words . . . . words which they would never tolerate if they read them in print. Why, they'd not even recognize these transcribed utterances as having originated in their own mouths !

Old 01-12-17, 02:36 PM
That's what I meant to say but struggled on the spelling and spell check didn't help
It's wasn't a spelling problem. Grammar & grammatical are both words. One is a noun & the other is a adjective. Since you were describing a type of error, you needed an adjective & it was the word grammatical.

Old 01-12-17, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... but when you mis spell the word so bad that spell check gives you totally different suggestions

Old 01-12-17, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
.......... and while we are at it, you ever notice that when someone in the media describes a tornado its always; "Its sounded like a freight train!".
Then when a train incident happens, they say "its sounded like a tornado!"

I dont know how many times in my lifetime I have heard the references crossed. If we know what a tornado sounds like... when one comes through, just say, "It sounded like a tornado!"
When an incident with a train happens, just say it sounded like a train... or, better yet, just don't describe the sound. We all know what it sounds like or you wouldn't be referencing a train to a tornado or a tornado to a train....... sheeesh..

Its dramatic enough, the media doesn't need to add to that.

On grammar, I know I don't always spell correctly nor do I always use proper English. I use "don't & ain't" etc. I also use nothin' and the like occasionally. Most of the time when I do that, I am using it to kinda break up the seriousness of the situation... I guess kinda the opposite of dramatic. Oh, & there's that other word I use sometimes.... Kinda.
When I went to school in the 60's, & 70's, I was pretty good with English. I did pretty well. But being out of school for about 40 years & I dont have a professional need to use "specific" correct grammar, I have lost some of what I had learned in school. I used to know nouns, pronouns & a lot of that other stuff. Now I am about down to "subjects & verbs". Outside of that, I have to really sit back & think about what a word is. I know I am not as sharp as I once was but at least I try to put forth a bit of effort.

The difference between myself & a writer for the media... I know I cant write professionally & I stay out of the news..... They don't.

Old 01-12-17, 04:05 PM
I listen to NPR occasionally (while I'm in the shower, and often hear PhDs using language that's littered with 50% filler words .
I don't listen to National Propaganda Radio any more but I still have my PhD (Post Hole Digger).

and while we are at it, you ever notice that when someone in the media describes a tornado its always; "Its sounded like a freight train!".
Then when a train incident happens, they say "its sounded like a tornado!"
You mean it sounded not its sounded. Being from NY, I know about trains but not about tornadoes. Wow, I didn't know that tornadoes had an E in it until spell check told me.