Does Corporate ever have a clue?

Old 01-20-17, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Does Corporate ever have a clue?

Went to HD today. Looking for pre-finished white 1/4" thick (actually 3/16th) pegboard. Found the 24" x 48" pieces for $8 in the handy panel area. All I saw on the racks nearby was solid tempered hardboard in 1/8" and 1/4" and cheap plywood in 4' x 8' sheets. Asked the lumber guy and he said "Oh, it's over here but on the higher rack, so you may not have seen it". Takes me around the corner and there it is almost at the other end of the aisle. No where near the handy panels or solid stuff. I said that's a big price difference. He says " No, it's about the same as 4 of the small panels". I just shook my head and said "It's almost double" and blamed it on our education system in my head. I asked why isn't the full sheet down there? "Not where the Plan-o-gram says to put it". Ok, I get it, get me to pay more ($19 for a full sheet vs four 24" x 48" for $32).

That's bad enough, but then I said, let me get my cart and we'll get one of those down and go over to the panel saw, he said "Sorry, I can't cut it for you". Assuming he wasn't trained, I asked if anyone else was around who could make a cut. He replied "We're not allowed to cut anything under 3/8" thick". I was Whaaaaat? Explanation was that Corporate had sent a directive that due to several accidents and lawsuits when people were ripping thin stuff, it was grabbed by the blade and flung causing injury. I said well, we're not ripping. Didn't matter, memo hadn't specified. And no word of possible further action (guards, shields, something) to allow it again.

So I said, well, I'll buy 2, and you can stack and cut both to make it thick enough. He didn't buy it. (Darn, I was just going to return the one I didn't need, or change my mind at the register. They could have stacked and cut them again, and stocked in the handy panels).

I mean seriously. I remember during the Dark years (Nardelli) when they were having accidents with the big radial arm saw. We couldn't use it at all for several months til they came out with the stupid Rube Goldberg safety clamps and housing that made it darn near impossible to see the cut line through the window, had to change the nearby stock layout since you couldn't put longer lumber directly on, you had to slide it from one end, and eliminated cutting 4" x 4"s completely. Couldn't have just put in a safety that you had to squeeze with your free hand instead of holding it in the line of the blade? That and 2 simple swing down clamps would have been all it needed.

So anyway, I bought the 24 x 48 cause I needed that for a project immediately and it's about the right size. And when I get around to the bigger stuff, I'll take my sawhorses and cordless saw down and cut it in half in the parking lot. I can fit a 48" x 48" piece at an angle in the back seat.

Oh, and they no longer sell just the stand off spacers to allow the hooks to fit in. Now you have to buy tiny kits of 6 spacers, screws and anchors as well as the cheap 1/8" hooks and the little plastic retainers all in one package! I don't need no stinking cheap hooks. I have a shoebox full of misc heavy duty hooks that don't need retainers because they fit tight! And their small parts bins are almost useless. I'm not paying $.75 for 2 little chunks of plastic with a hole in the center.

I even stopped at TrueValue on my way home, their pegboard stuff was the same way, no ala-carte. So I bought 6 bulk spacers from them at $.27 each and I'll make my own from a dowel when the weather gets better and I do the other walls.

Yeah, 12 noon (10 AM my time) was good, but it went rapidly down hill the more I was out. The little Gas and Grub down the street didn't get their order of **** and Bull Ginger beer yesterday either. Now I have to wait til next Thurs (maybe). It's super strong ginger ale sort of, non-alcoholic. I love the stuff. At $1.69 a 12 oz bottle, I have to ration it though.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-17, 08:17 PM
I'm all for safety but corporate safety offices are usually staffed by the stupidest people in the entire organization. I had a friend that stated flat out that safety and personnel were the dumping ground for everyone that should have been fired (or never hired) but had "connections".

I used to volunteer in an old (1906) steam-electric generating station that has been re-opened as a museum. Our non-profit group was kicked out after more than fifteen years and the owner has been "operating" it since after a two or three year closure. I put operating in quotation marks since they do NOT operate anything (we had dynamic operation of various pumps, engines and turbines on steam) and don't even have heat in the place. I cringe at all the "safety improvements" they have instituted that are literally destroying the historicity of the place. In our time we never had a single instance of anyone (probably more than ten thousand visitors) getting hurt.

Old 01-21-17, 02:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All the cover your butt clauses to protect the company from stupid lawsuits has gotten ridiculous.

I haven't bought any in a few years but the packaging for 3M's sanding sponges says you are supposed to wear a respirator and goggles when using them - a sanding sponge

The last pack of utility knife blades I bought stated to wear heavy leather gloves when opening the package and pulling out the individual blades - can you get that much dexterity with gloves on ??

While lawsuits can serve a good purpose, today's society is over using it!!

Old 01-21-17, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I just installed a house full of interior doors. All the cardboard side protectors had emblazoned on it in big letters..."Make sure door is installed plumb and square". Well duh. That's no fun.

The bifold doors went one further with their list of required tools.....safety glasses (check), gloves (?). Have you ever tried to pick up a screw with gloves on. I guess there must be sharp edges to protect ourselves from.

Old 01-21-17, 07:14 AM
Let's not place all the blame on the corporate suits. If people looking to get rich quick and lawyers willing to help them for a big cut, along with juries willing to go along, didn't exist, there would be no need (or at least a lot less need) to take ridiculous CYA precautions.

Old 01-22-17, 08:17 AM
Thought I'd add a couple of corporate story's of my own.
Long ago I worked for Boat US before they got bought out by West Marine.
It was a brand new store, I started working there before the shelves where even set up.
We set up the shelves and all the peg board hooks according to the planogram, stocked all the merchandise.
I was working in the sailing isles, district manager shows up with a new planogram and want's everything swapped 180 deg. No reason, just what someone in the office decided.
Before the store even opened a different manager shows up and now want's about 25% of the stock removed and shipped back, there logic was Deltaville VA is not a big sailing area!
I suggested he take a ride with me to show him there's literally 1000's of sailboats, two marina's that have nothing but sailboats, 4 places that sell sailboats, and that's just in this tiny town limits.
Second story: I used to work for a couple of industrial distributor in inside sales.
The second one I worked for would hire people to work in inside and outside sales that had never been inside a factory, machine shop, Ect. and had no clue what we sold, how it was used, questions to ask the customer to even find out what they needed.
They would hand me a hand written list of items to quote on for them that would read; gloves, wire wheel, micrometer, drill, and expect me to know what it is they wanted a quote on.
We stocked at least 8 different types of gloves, dozens of different wire wheels, 30 different sizes and styles of micrometers, 3, different brands and many different styles and sizes of drill.
If you brought it up to the boss I would get scolded and told to stop giving him a hard time and just do the quote.

Old 01-22-17, 08:44 AM
Paul makes good point. You can't educate stupid if they aren't willing to cooperate. Case in point.
Holiday laser light set. Projects green and red light patterns on the house. Many people bought them and many if not most returned them a few days or weeks later. So I bought one. When I opened the box, in at least 3 to 4 places, in bold red letters it says to never remove or shut off the power supply to the unit. OK to turn off unit via the supplied switch but do not remove power source. The unit maintains a heater to protect the electronics in side during freezing temperatures. I explained as much to a customer who brought one back because it failed. He looked my straight in the eye and said he has no time to read instructions! We took it back to maintain customer relations.

On the other side of the coin, talk about corporate blindness. How many hammers does the average home owner own? Maybe two. If a carpenter or a tradesman, perhaps more, but not typically. And how often does one buy a hammer? Maybe once or twice in a lifetime. But we have a 4 foot display section full of hammers. And not one single one is a machinist hammer! And if I sold two a year it would be a lot. And yet we have two peg hooks to sell those washing machine lint catchers. We sell out almost weekly. Why not have 4 feet of lint catchers instead?

Old 01-22-17, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There was a store in fla that I used to frequent, something like a small home depot or lowes.
I had a 1x4 fence that needed a lot of repairs so when I had the money I'd stop and buy a few 10' pressure treated 1x4s. Often they'd be sold out. A store employee told me that they only came in once a month and were usually sold out within a few days. Now I know I'm just a dumb ole painter but if you continually sell out of something in a short order - don't you start ordering more!!

Old 01-22-17, 11:20 AM
You learn your marketing strategy often by sales figures. Our local old timey hardware store was sold to a larger hardware concern. They came in, remodeled it and restocked it. The only problem with their restocking was you go in to look for 1/4" turnbuckles for cable installation, they only had two !! Eventually the store built its stock up, but for a while it was tenuous.

Norm, our local HD has black flat pry bars...........in PAINT!! Not in tools.

Old 01-22-17, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Talking to a general contractor about a big commercial company who he was doing some remodeling. No matter what type of work you are doing you are required to go through their safety class, wear steel toe shoes, high visibility vest, safety glasses, etc. Note: this is a finished office building.

The thing that got me is if you are on a ladder, higher then 4' off the ground, you are required to have a harness on and be tied off to the building. The thing is, how do you tie yourself off if you can't climb higher then 4' off the ground? And they require to use these new podium ladders.

Old 01-22-17, 05:35 PM
tied off to the building
Who repairs the holes created when you drive your piton in the joints??