telemarketers

Old 02-28-17, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
telemarketers

I just got the third phone call this week from sarah at consumer services [where they propose to lower your credit card interest] I usually hang up but since the calls are getting more frequent I pressed 1 to talk to a representative. As soon as they picked up I said 'you know this number is on the do not call list, don't call me anymore!' As soon as I said 'do not call list' they hung up on me. Doubt it will do any good but at least one representative knows I wasn't happy to get the call

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-17, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Spitting in the wind. Mine are from Heather wanting me to let them help me get my Google listing on top. I did the same thing, got a human and asked them if they had Googled my company name. Told them it was already on top in our area. Likewise, they hung up.

Old 02-28-17, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mine come from all over the country, usually ask for my wife but can't pronounce her name (Lois). Also can't speak English..

Old 02-28-17, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
You can bellyache and complain all you want. The Do Not Call list is only for calls made in this country from a legitimate source. There is only ONE way to stop the calls. NoMoRoBo. It works with most all Voip phone providers. That's Fios and most cable companies.

I'm telling you.... I was getting blitzed by calls. Fios had a call blocking service. I had all 100 slots filled in three weeks.

With nomorobo..... you set your phone service up as dual ringing. When a call rings at your house it also rings at nomorobo. You need to wait one ring. If it rings a second time it's usually legit. Nomorobo has an extensive list of crap companies and also what it does is that it watches all the incoming phone calls from all of its subscribers. It watches for spam patterns and knows which calls to dead end.

Best of all... it's FREE. I give it

Old 02-28-17, 05:45 PM
You can bellyache and complain all you want.
The Do Not Call list is only for calls made in this country from a legitimate source.
There is only ONE way to stop the calls.
Eh, I've gotten the VOIP calls for fake windows tech support from "Washington DC";
so, I gave them a hard time; (asked what the local weather was, asked what time it was)
and told them I knew they were using VOIP to mimic a US number. I went up the food chain.
Eventually had the supervisor loose it, curse me out in Urdu, FU, F your country, I know where your office is, would I be scared if ISIS bombed my office.

Whereupon, I had the subtle joy of reminding him that he's on a VOIP line, it's a tracable IP,
and he just uttered the magic words the NSA loves to hear, "ISIS" and "bomb".
Suddenly he shifted into "Lance" (Eric Stoltz) in Pulp Fiction, "prank caller?!" "just kidding", "prank caller!!", "prank caller!!"

I have had a noticable decrease in Windoze Tech Service calls since then.

Old 02-28-17, 06:34 PM
I have a VoIP telephone and I think the number of telemarketing calls I have received over the years could be counted on one hand. Only a very few people have the incoming number and I have it set to transfer to my cellular telephone after so many rings where it can then be sent to voice mail. I HAVE received legitimate wrong numbers on occasion when someone misdials and they are generally apologetic.

My biggest problem is my impatient friend, Janie, who gives up if I don't answer by the third ring. I do NOT run to answer the telephone and even when I am right next to it I usually do not answer until the third ring, just to keep people from expecting me to answer immediately. When I am home my cell phone is usually in the bedroom regardless of where I might be.

Old 02-28-17, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
It probably doesn't really do much, but if I start getting a lot, I start carrying my bosuns pipe in my pocket. It seems like after a few calls and blasts of that, and I don't hear from them again for a long time. They seem to come a bunch of different callers at a time, then nothing for 6 months or more.

My latest fun thing to do is mess with spammers. Some you can tell are robo mail, and those just get deleted. But a couple have actually replied with coherent answers to my initial reply which normally talks about Satan, the CIA, murder for hire or whatever else I come up with.

Those I can lead down the primrose path for a few days, til I finally send them something like this..."Gluck. Wonk and toomoray. Yeky dis wally fm der ist 18. Si mo onry qued, und fip ro macky. Lip mi ty rew, wolp dif quen. Lit yem fip cal ta de romank. Pir oly sim gur, per oly sim dep!" Wish I really spoke and wrote Esperanto or even better, Klingon!

If I get a reply to that, then I just mention a few things I know about their family relationships and heritage and it ends there.

Like I said, probably really does nothing but it keeps my brain exercised and I have some fun for a few days. (I really have too much time on my hands....)

Old 03-01-17, 05:55 AM
I've mentioned this before. I highly recommend it.

Use NOMOROBO.com (https://www.nomorobo.com/signup). Web site tell yoi if your phone service subscribes to it. Most do.

It will intercept the call and hang up automatically. Your phone will ring once, letting you know it's a robo call. It'a has a very satisfying feeling that you know they got punk'd.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and it works perfectly. I think it might allow some political call and maybe some charities, but I have never had any of those.

Old 03-01-17, 06:11 AM
Is any customization possible with nomorobo? American Red Cross calls my voip phone about 3X a day. They're legit--but inconsiderate and won't take NO for an answer.

Old 03-01-17, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
thanks for the link Norm, unfortunately it looks like my provider isn't listed.

Old 03-01-17, 06:28 AM
Guy,

I also had this problem with The March Of Dimes charity. I used my carrier (Time-Warner/Spectrum) to block their calls. But they go one step further, when one number gets blocked they switch to another line. They have about six lines. I had to block all of them.

Marksr,

Two things, ask them if they can subscribe to service and tell them you are being harassed by too many telemarketing. Also, does your actual phone (be it vTech, Panasonic, GE or whatever) allow select blocking of certain numbers?

Old 03-01-17, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I can block house phone calls for a fee .... but many of those robo calls change numbers routinely. Don't think it's an option with my cheap cell phone plan. Not recently but I've gotten dozen of telemarketer calls that showed my phone number on caller ID. I rarely answer calls with no caller ID or with numbers I know to be a telemarketer.

Old 03-01-17, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
I started using NOMOROBO when I first read about it on here. What a difference it makes! The do not call is a joke.
Altho before that, I never answered my phone if I didn't recognize the number, unless I was expecting a call. If it's important, they leave a message.
I'm sure everyone has caller ID nowadays, and can't understand why anyone would answer one of these calls.?

Old 03-07-17, 03:53 PM
Did anybody see today's comic strip Pickles?

http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2017/03/07

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-08-17 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Norm, I edited your link because it led to today's strip vice yesterday's [I'm assuming you meant to highlight the one about telemarketers].

Yes, I read that one; one of my favorite strips.

Old 03-08-17, 04:23 AM
Thanks.

Pickles has become my wife and I's favorite strip also. We keep comparing ourselves to it.

Old 03-08-17, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just clicked the link to see if my carrier was listed. I don't have a land line, only a Verizon cell service. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they cover cell services....???

Old 03-08-17, 11:01 AM
My thanks for the robot call blocker link and the Pickles link. I agree the do not call list just doesn't do the whole job and I don't believe there has been enough government oversight like there should be, whether that will change time will tell.

Old 03-10-17, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My cellphone woke me up last night, sounded like a recording, definitely not english, not sure it was spanish have no idea what they were selling

Old 03-10-17, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Did they call after 9 PM? One thing I've noticed, that seems to be the only rule they follow. They've never called after 9.

Old 03-10-17, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It was definitely after 9pm as I was sound asleep when the phone rang
Just checked my phone and it was 10:46pm.

Old 03-10-17, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe they were a newbie, lol! BUT, that would've got me very, very mad! I hope that's not a new trend.

Old 03-10-17, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What got me was the recording being in a foreign language! didn't really sound like spanish but then I wasn't fully awake yet. Google said the area code was Las Vegas but then I've gotten telemarketers that showed my phone number on the caller ID so who knows.

Old 03-14-17, 09:06 PM
My elderly mother said she sometimes blows a whistle into the phone when telemarketers call. Good for her! They deserve it.

I could of sworn a few times telemarketers tried to pose as a concerned family member. They called addressing me by name with a sense of urgency in their voice. I don't think this is a coincidence. One time it sounded like my sister.

Old 03-15-17, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a phone scam where the scammer calls and pretends to be a grandkid so they can get money from you for one fake reason or another. They called me once. I only have one grandson so when they called I played dumb and asked which one it was. The caller said 'I can't believe you don't recognize my voice, I'm your oldest grandson' I don't remember how I ended the call but they didn't get what they hoped for

Old 03-15-17, 07:53 AM
That's really nasty when the scammers exploit your family devotion.

Last year, phone scammers were posing as IRS agents threatening prosecution. I think it was one of the biggest phone scams in US history. I got about 6 of those calls myself.

Old 03-30-17, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
strange area code

I just got a call from a telemarketer [I presume - didn't pick up, no message left] with a 42 area code. I thought all area codes were 3 digits

Old 03-30-17, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Some strange type numbers have been coming up lately. I just got one from 192. That was it. The whole number just said 192.???

Old 03-30-17, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know they can do some shady things with caller ID. I've probably gotten a couple dozen calls with my name and number showing up on the caller ID.

Old 03-30-17, 12:43 PM
Here in Vermont, we only have one (1) Area Code 802 for the whole State; but many scammy calls come in with the "802" preceding the number as if it originated in Vermont.

I pay more attention to those calls, but when I refer to the Town which shows up on my Caller ID, the Caller doesn't have a clue where their MOJO or other Boiler Room Dialer is saying they are located . . . . earlier this week I had a call from Island Pond, Vermont, but the Caller never heard of Island Pond. When I called the actual number in Island Pond, the owner of that Land Line didn't realize that their number was being hijacked.

On a related note, I get plenty of scam calls from the Windows IT Department claiming that my computer is spewing forth bad stuff and I should log on while the Caller is on the line.

I ask "which" Computer ?

S/he says "The one on Windows"

I say "We have several; what's the IP (Internet Protocol) Number of the one giving you trouble ?"

C L I C K !

I guess the Windows IT Department doesn't feel comfortable talking about Internet Protocol Addresses ?

Old 03-30-17, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've gotten where I just respond with 'but I don't have any computers connected to the internet' always followed by them hanging up

Old 03-31-17, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Vermont, great minds think alike (must be a Marine thing). I've used the same ploy, but I usually say, "okay, I have three computers, is it the Dell, the Toshiba, or the IBM?". If they actually pick one, I say, "Oh, that's funny, it crashed three weeks ago and isn't plugged in". I like your IP question, though, so I'll try that one next time. Haven't heard from them lately.

Side note for business folks who get inundated with telemarketers; when they ask for the owner or manager (dead giveaway) I say, "he doesn't take phone calls". Apparently that one is not in the universal telemarketer script prompts because it always stumps them.

Old 03-31-17, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
@bluesbreaker
Last year, phone scammers were posing as IRS agents threatening prosecution. I think it was one of the biggest phone scams in US history. I got about 6 of those calls myself.
I got one of those calls as did my mother-in-law & my brother.

When I got that & he said that the IRS was about to file suit & they could get this ironed out over the phone with a payment. Since I knew I was in no trouble with the IRS, & they don't call people, I simply said; "So sue me, send me the paperwork & I'll have my attorney respond". There was a brief pause, then he hung up.

Old 03-31-17, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
I still don't understand why anyone answers these calls to begin with. If I don't know the number, I know it's most likely a telemarketer or scammer. If it's legit, they always, always leave a message.

Old 03-31-17, 08:19 AM
Out Of Area

Friend of mine moved to Vietnam and when he calls all my phone says is "out of area" and no number so I answer.

Lately I'm getting calls that say "out of area" then a local number and area code??? Odd how that can be so I attempted to ask the phone company what's up with this? Instead of talking to you they make you chat, typing back and forth. What, they can't talk?

After a half hour of chat they say that is a local number but don't know why it would say "out of area".

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 03-31-17, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
". . . I still don't understand why anyone answers these calls to begin with . . ."
I know why I answer. I used to ignore them; but all that does is release them to quickly move on to the next victim.

Now, my intent is to waste at least as much of their time as they are wasting of mine, and then some.

Their automated dialers are set up to make multiple calls per minute . . . . just waiting for a warm body to pick-up. They'd like to quickly dispose of anyone who's not serious . . . . but when they ask me about how I am today, I extend the conversation to include the current condition and well being of all of their family members. I think it's only showing evidence of their having reached a caring human bean !

And if they ask me to push #1 to respond positively, I push 2, and 3, and 9, and 7 and 4 and 8 and however many it takes to send their telephone MOJO into a tither with a hopeless mishmash of responses. Sometimes a human voice comes back on the line pleading for me to simply hang up . . . . but why would I ?

My objective is to make it as expensive and as disruptive a call as is possible.

Sick . . . . I know it's sick (or is it psych ?); but when in Rome, do as the Romans do !

Anyway, that's my rationale . . . . maybe I have too much time on my hands ?

Old 03-31-17, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never answer unrecognized numbers but for whatever reason my wife thinks she might be missing something so she will answer .... and sometimes that leads to her passing the phone call off to me

Old 03-31-17, 01:38 PM
Sick . . . . I know it's sick (or is it psych ?); but when in Rome, do as the Romans do !

Anyway, that's my rationale . . . . maybe I have too much time on my hands ?
You might be right, But I like it!