Can dyslexia be acquired?

Old 03-01-17, 09:41 AM

Is it because I'm getting old or impatient?

Seems like everything I type is ass backwards. If it weren't for spell check I'd be in a world of hurt. Here's a typical example without spell check correction.

I'm not the best soeller and never was, but I was allways able to type in the etters correctly as I type them in. But now I seem to hit diouble keys and wrong lettes even though I know what to tyoe. I bought a lightyed large letter keyboard hoping that would help buy it seems a tough it's no better.

See what I mean? I know how to spell every one of those words and I'm sure (in my mind) that I'm hitting the correct keys.

For those who can't decypher what I wrote, here what it should say.

I'm not the best speller and never was, but I was always able to type in the letters correctly as I type them in. But now I seem to hit double keys and wrong letters even though I know what to type. I bought a lighted, large letter keyboard hoping that would help buy it seems a though it's no better.

Ahh the pleasures of getting old.

Oh well, I got that off my frustration list.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-17, 10:00 AM
Sounds to me more like hand-eye coordination. Perhaps you can't do 60 WPM anymore.

Old 03-01-17, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think spell check has made us dumber as we now know we only have to get the word close and spell check will correct it for us. I think the typing errors are as much arthritic fingers not operating correctly as anything else.

Old 03-01-17, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For those who can't decypher what I wrote
I think people can read your paragraph even if every word was misspelled or letters are substituted.

There was a post awhile back about how the brain (not brian) can identify words even if all jumbled.

Pretty cool.

Old 03-01-17, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have dyslexia but I have had it all my life. Everybody I know that has it was born with it.

Old 03-01-17, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably like epoxy can be cured. I have always heard it was either inherited or something that occurred early in life.

Old 03-01-17, 05:47 PM
Probably like epoxy can be cured.
Or did you mean epilepsy can be cured?

Old 03-01-17, 06:08 PM
I vote for Mark's answer in post #3.

I was an excellent speller in my younger years but as I age I am most definitely losing that gift. Also, while I like to blame my keyboard, the truth is that my fat arthritic fingers, coupled with my degenerative nerve disease, has made my typing far worse.

Old 03-01-17, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope. It was a joke. Epoxy cures with a catalyst. So it can be "cured".

Old 03-01-17, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I seem to have had a problem with dyslexia related to numbers for quite a few years. I may read 1324 when in reality the number is 1234.

as for typing, I type faily fast. So, I amke a lot of mistakes & have to rely on spell check a lot of teh time. As in this paragraph. I seem to spell "the" as teh about 95% of teh time. Seldom do I get it right. I attribute it to trying to type too fast & one hand or finger gets too fast for teh otehr.

I spend a lot of time going back over mispelled words etc. One problem I have is taht somehow, my spell check has adopted teh in its library & it doenst show it as a mispelled word. "Taht" is another word I commonly get out of order.

Anyway, you see what a mess I make when I dont correct things. I could be getting older but because I never took a formal typing class & I learned on my own & my fingers seem to type faster than my brain, I make a lot fo mistakes.

Hope this helps you feel better taht your nota lone....

Old 03-02-17, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also get my letters in a word mixed up occasionally. I always thought it was because of a shorted circuit between my brain and my fingers As far as I know spell check has always pointed them out for me

Old 03-02-17, 04:11 AM
In reference to post #4, Brian says we can most likely understand mistyped post. It would be interesting to see what would happen if we did not try to correct our typos and just let them fly. NOT!

Wait, isn't that what today's youth do while tweeting and posting?

Old 03-02-17, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dixie said it, I have been doing this all my life with words and numbers. I remember way back the store I worked for said everybody had to help with inventory, Boy were they sorry. Told them they did not want my help.

Old 03-02-17, 04:24 AM
Group Moderator
Norm, my typing has gone down hill as I've aged, too. I frequently type things out of order if I'm not concentrating. I think it's just that the fingers are trying to move faster than the brain.

Old 03-14-17, 09:43 PM
I always heard that people with dyslexia have above average intelligence. I see it as a badge of honor for overcoming adversity.

Old 03-15-17, 03:50 AM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch (2003) at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Old 03-15-17, 04:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

"
Seems like everything I type is ass back wards. If it weren't for spell check I'd be in a world of hurt
."...LMAO...Very funny.

Reason why. Best office environment trick on a co-worker. Pull a few keys off the keyboard and rearrange them on the keyboard. Sit back and watch. Try not to show any facial expressions. That's almost impossible....HA HA HA. More fun than any adult should be allowed to have...

"I have dyslexia but I have had it all my life. Everybody I know that has it was born with it."
Exactly. One does not acquire it. Not age related either. Born with it. Way the brain is incorrectly wired at birth. Same as the modified keyboard...

Wife has it. In some instance's applies to more then typing or writing. Some things done ass backwards.... Looks right to the a-flicked but not to those of us not a-flicked.

Spell check has not improved our spelling. Nor is it taught in school the way we were taught in years gone by. Same applies to cash registers. Change returned to customer is not displayed for customers benefit. Change displayed is for register operator because they cannot make change to money paid. Okay. Maybe for customer too. The build to amount paid from cost method not taught to the younger set and those born before us. Reduces the chances of cash shortages.

My Two cents.