Can anyone show me.......

Old 03-14-17, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can anyone show me.......

Can anyone show me a "T" in "Alzheimer's"?

I know that 99% of the people pronounce the disease Alztimer's or all-timer's or ol-timer's or any number of other variances of pronunciations & it just really (well I cant say the word here) aggravates me. I know that its been called all kinds of slang terms because people in general don't take the time to attempt to know how it's suppose to be pronounced, but what really (again I cant say the word here) aggravates me is when I hear physicians mis-pronounce the word. I just want to chock the crap out of physicians who call it "Alztimers".
Most Dr's use words with 40 letters in them when discussing your treatment with you, yet they cant pronounce Alzheimer's.

Its pronounced as: All's hi mer's

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey Dixie, want to share your challenges? I'm sure it is more that the pronunciation of a word.

Old 03-14-17, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I dont have the condition nor does anyone in my family. Its just been a pet peeve of mine for a long time that I cant seem to get past. It started with people calling it "old timers" disease (because its mostly a disease that elderly people seem to get most often) & since, no one has seemed to care to pronounce it correctly. But again, I guess what really aggravates me so much about this & possibly the reason I cant get past it is because, even the physicians wont pronounce it correctly, therefore no one else can or will pronounce it correctly.

Its: All's Hi Mers !!!

Old 03-14-17, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm with you on the pronounciation of things. In the south kids say the following:

Ax instead of Ask
Wiff instead of With
and then there is the whole "text talk"
U instead of you
B4 instead of before

the list goes on, drives me crazy and my daughters will not fall into that category.

Old 03-14-17, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Like any foreign words there are going to be variations in pronunciation. In Germany, it's pronounced with a silent t before the z. (N-a-z-i is another good example... no t there either.) The British also know and use this pronunciation. Anyone with a German background would probably automatically say it with a t as well. If you do any amount of research you will find that "altz" is the accepted pronunciation, and that you simply want to read it in typical American English fashion. (The I'm right, you're wrong mentality).

Old 03-15-17, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
I have heard people say alls timers too..... just plain wrong.

Old 03-15-17, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
I think it may have migrated over somewhat from "old timers" since those are normally the people affected.

My Ex- was born in L.A. with most family from MO. She always says "di-nt" instead of "didn't". No second d for her. Her sister pronounces it the same as does her son.

As to the wiff and ax...it's not just kids and it's not just the South. It mostly started with those from poorer neighborhoods and has migrated. You hear the same from people from L.A., Chicago, Detroit, etc.

One that gripes me is "disrespected". It didn't really start being used as a verb until the mid-80's. Not "He showed disrespect towards me" or "He showed me no respect" but instead "He disrespected me".

Old 03-16-17, 02:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Shall we not forget "youze guys" from NJ? I went to college with a guy from NJ.....in the South....boy was he out of place.

Old 03-16-17, 03:25 AM
The one that gets me (and I'm guilty of doing it) is irregardless. No such word! Or it wasn't until recently. It's considered poor usage to use it. Contractions (can't, won't, it's, haven't) are"poor" use of the English language but is accepted.

Language is ever evolving. Can't stop it.