Pre Conceived Notions!

Old 03-15-17, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Angry Pre Conceived Notions!

Contractors. Having work done that I can't physically do myself or have no experience in the trade skill, etc..

Scope of this project: In this case it's reinstall or build me a shower stall where an existing one >WAS.< Nothing there now but drain pipe, wall studs and cement slab. Water valve and shower head pipe.

Contractor arrives. Not a sales person for a contractor nor any company. With them they bring >NOTHING!< Sure sign they have no intention of doing what you, the customer, wants. They'll do what they want.

How can you tell? They'll do what they want. IMO simple. You say what you want and or they cannot do. Lay out the perimeters of the project. You (contractor) cannot move the existing drain pipe, raise the height of the shower water valve nor the height of the shower head!!!

They hear nothing you said nor offer any reason why what you want cannot be done as requested... Offer no suggestions either. Build me a shower stall around existing drain pipe, water valve and shower head!!! Got it Mr. contractor??? Guess not.

Contractor wants to buy the KIT at the big box store and install it. Not what this customer wants. Contractor wants to >"MAKE MY DAY!"< Never heard a word I said... Oh Really. I have no problem obliging!!! And make no mistake. I'm good at it too! As the last two have found out!!!...

Up to this point and In this instance we have not even spoken a word about price!!! No need to go that far. Shown the EXIST door! BYE BYE!!!

Neither arrived as one would expect. As a sales person with selection samples, designs and photos, etc.. Very disappointed. Today arrives yet another whom has been forewarned. Failure to comply will MAKE MY DAY! today too!!!......

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-17, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I look at it this way, all the incompetent or inconsiderate contractors always made me look better
Have you asked friends/acquaintances if they've had this type of work down and who they like/dislike?
IMO word of mouth advertising is the best kind.

Old 03-15-17, 06:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Nope. Asked no one and have no intentions of doing so. WHY. About the same as reading customer reviews. Can't please everyone. Someone always rates the reviews based upon their opinions!

Best method once the contractor and customer agree on what will be done, you sit at the table to review the details and get the estimate or price. What's already on the table? Bottle of SMELLING salts! Then comes the SHOCK & AWE! First it's on YOU. Your side of the table. you say HOW MUCH??? Oh Good GRIEF! You take a sniff.

Then past the bottle to sales person. Then say the price is way to HIGH!!! Very over priced. The SHOCK & AWE is now on their side of the table. He/she then can take a sniff of the smelling salts!!!...HA HA HA!...

Then let the negotiations begin. It's all in the ART of the DEAL!!!... Compromise and agree.

Old 03-15-17, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
This may or may not help, or may be something you already know.

There are your garden variety contractors who are a dime a dozen. Many of them are just as you describe.

Then you have contractors who work for / with designers and architects. Very competent, generally top quality contractors. But part of the reason for their success is the "architect and designer" part of the equation. Take that away and you take away the specifications for the job. In this case, you seem to be wanting a contractor who is all 3. Finding someone to fill those shoes is hard, I agree.

If you continue to have difficulty, my advice would be to call a designer or architect. If nothing else, they may be able to recommend a contractor that is a known quantity.

Old 03-15-17, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fly me out to the west coast and put me up in a nice hotel, I can handle your request.

Go to a local tile distributor and ask for recommendations - some do their own installations, others merely supply materials. They work with the good contractors all the time, work with their clients and know the good from the bad. Steer clear of the phone book and heavily advertised contractors and sales people. The good ones do not need to advertise. Your project in my opinion is pretty standard and presents little I couldn't handle. Keep up the search but start at the logical point - where they shop and where they are known.

Old 03-15-17, 07:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

Excellent advice XSleeper!...

Scope of the project:

Shower Pan Removed Totally.

Name:  Shower Pan Removed.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  22.6 KB

Shower Stall (Locker?) Totally Removed.

Name:  Shower Removed.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  22.0 KB

Price Example Only:
Estimate: Contractor price. $18,000. Shock and Awe!

Customer Willing To Pay: $12,000.

Difference: $6000.00

Negotiating price: Customer goes up $1,000.00! Price now offered $13,000.00
Contractor comes down only $2,000.00. Price $16,000.00

Price difference now $3,000.00
Customer says can we split the difference? Settle on a price of $14,000.00?...Say nothing more. Ball in contractors court!... Agreed upon...

The ART of the DEAL!

Old 03-15-17, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sharp we posted at the same time so I don't know if you saw my response.

Please tell me the $18,000 is for a bathroom remodel and not just the shower? If not, I have to raise my prices.

Old 03-15-17, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The $18K for a shower only wouldn't surprise me.

I would advise you go to a tile store like czizzi said. The advantages are you can get references and see the tile on display.
There are many tile stores in San Diego for example, but only a handful of stores where almost every tile guy goes.

Old 03-15-17, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
$16-18 grand for just a shower? That's insane! Do all contractors in CA drive Mercedes and BMWs? Do their workers all drive Escalades? I'm just guessing here, but I'd think maybe $2K in materials and max 5 days work?

Old 03-15-17, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 18K is for companies that charge way too much and give fancy sales presentations.
I could name names but that's not necessary. The prices are crazy and they make it sound like you will have no worries at all.
The same tile guys that do the expensive jobs do the inexpensive jobs, the corporations rob you blind with the sales.

Old 03-15-17, 03:05 PM
A couple of years ago I did a frameless 60X60 shower in my house. I did all the work myself (plumbing, lighting, pan and tile) except for the glass. Total cost less than $4,000 and more than half of that was for the glass. If some guy is asking for 18G toss him out on his ear.

Surf the internet for ideas and do your own design. Act as your own GC and hire a plumber and a tile guy. Local glass shops do shower installs. I bet you can get it done for less than half what the rip off guy wants.

Old 03-16-17, 09:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Success! Finally, after 2 more contractors arrived, found the contractor wanted and the one that got the contract...

Not the first contractor of the day. Second to arrive. Re-Bath! WHY? this one was wanted? Because sale rep person (she) came fully equipped with samples, prior job photos, display books, etc. and very personable, friendly, knowledgeable, and agreed. No modifications are required nor will be done. Listened and then Asked ME what I wanted. Oh How Nice! What the customer wanted!

Reply to her question what I wanted: Do not relocate drain pipe. Do not change height of water valve nor shower head! Company makes their own shower pans to fit existing drain locations, etc. Does all the plumbing and fixture replacements themselves. No outside sub contractors. All pans & shower doors custom made to fit and all work done in house.

After we talked she got to speak with wife to make selections. ($$$)...

$16-18 grand for just a shower? That's insane! Do all contractors in CA drive Mercedes and BMWs? Do their workers all drive Escalades?
Agreed. Answer to quote above and about. NO...:NO NO NO: Price posted was unknown at the time. Done only as an example as stated. Got to read the fine print. Example only.

Complete job price, including CA and Re Bath required installations, water resistant backer wall board, plumbing, etc. Very close to $8000.00 GRAND! Price slightly high based also upon selections made and glass shower door. Has to be custom made. Wifey's choices ($$$$$$)...of materials and designs, etc.

Price actually reasonable in CA.. WHY? IMO simple. One company does it ALL! Exactly as wanted, (to code and warranted for life!) by me and many choices for wife and female sales rep to select from. Selection aspect Wifey's department. WIN-WIN! Wife gets what she wants (@) my expense... I get what I wanted......and sales rep gets sale...

Additionally. Wall board extends floor to ceiling. Shower pan custom made to fit. Nothing off shelf nor big box store purchased except wall water proof backer board. Start to finish time about two days. Wait time to start job till 04-22. Their busy. Custom door and floor pan to be made time.

Bottom lines and final post. All parties and persons happy... Nothing inexpensive out WEST in this state. As we say, Ca. sunshine doesn't come CHEAP!...

Thanks to all whom participated in the thread.

Search this Thread