Amazon!

Old 04-08-17, 03:27 AM
Amazon!

I've about had it with Amazon. March 30 I ordered a video and a TV antenna. I was given the option of signing up for "Prime" and receiving them the next day but I declined. The delivery under the free economy shipping was stated to be between April 5 and 8.

Here it is 3:20 AM on the eighth and it STILL hasn't shipped. Maybe it will show up this afternoon/evening and maybe it won't. Assuming it comes from a "fulfillment center" in the greater Seattle area it will almost have to be delivered by either Amazon themselves or a specialty delivery company. Obviously it is NOT being held to amass a number of items being sent to nearby addresses so where is the saving for Amazon?

I was not in any hurry to receive and I don't buy enough from Amazon to justify a Prime account. If I had chosen the Prime I would have just canceled it within the free trial period. Or maybe Amazon is really in the business of selling Prime memberships to people that don't want or need them hoping they will forget to cancel before the trial period ends.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-17, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always opt for the free shipping with Amazon. Sometimes the items come within a few days but usually it's close to the time they state. What gets me is with the free shipping is how long it takes them to complete the order. It often takes them weeks or more to ship it out ... but then I get it a day or two later. I also don't bother with the prime as I only buy from them several times a year.

Old 04-08-17, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many suppliers sell through Amazon and fulfillment comes from a third party. Possible that there is an out of stock situation. Hard to tell, but look back a couple years ago, getting something ordered on line in a couple of days was unheard of. I think we have conditioned ourselves for immediate gratification. I've ordered several items online that originate from china and it takes 3 to 4 weeks to receive. Amazon has a 10% satisfaction guaranty, you can send them an email or give them a call to try to speed up the process.

Old 04-08-17, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
I've bought a ton of stuff from Amazon, and usually opt for free shipping. Have only had a few bad experiences... all of them were around Christmas time.

Old 04-08-17, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Most of what I order from Amazon is included in their Prime program and those items arrive on time or early 99%+ of the time. You do have to watch the items that are not prime. As mentioned they ship from someone else and the delivery times can vary wildly.

Old 04-08-17, 08:32 AM
You guys are missing the point. I could have opted for the trial membership in Prime and received the items the next day or maybe the second day. I could have chose the standard shipping and maybe received them in three or four days. I chose the free economy shipping because a Prime membership makes no sense for as little as I order from Amazon and I was in no hurry to receive the junk.

What I am griping about is that Amazon obviously and purposely DELAYED entering my order until the last GD minute! It had absolutely nothing to do with shipping times and everything to do with selling their Prime membership service. They are telling me that unless I want to wait until the last minute I should become a Prime member.

I received the E-mail at 4:52 this morning that the order had shipped and would be delivered by eight PM. That tells me that it was sent from a LOCAL distribution center. They could have sent it a week ago or even three days ago but they waited until today.

Conversely, I ordered some junk from a mid-western electronics supply company about 9:30 Friday morning and in four hours I received notice it had shipped along with the UPS tracking number. And this was also free super-saver shipping.

Old 04-08-17, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought that was what I said, or at least what I meant
Whatever I order from Amazon seems to come within a few days of shipping but often doesn't get shipped for weeks or more

Old 04-08-17, 04:39 PM
"What I am griping about is that Amazon obviously and purposely DELAYED entering my order . . . . "

And your proof of that is . . .? My stellar advice - don't order from Amazon! I'm sure they will survive without your business.

I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. It's usually my first choice. I have never had a problem although as someone else posted stuff shipped from China might take a while.

Old 04-09-17, 04:59 AM
I guess it all depends on how badly you want it. If you know up front that they will wait until the last minute to ship, then what's the problem? I'm always willing wait. Can't seem to justify paying extra just to have it here the next day. In fact by the time I get an item it will take me several days before I even look at it and try using it.

Old 04-09-17, 09:53 AM
I'm sure they will survive without your business.
I agree, my business with Amazon is comparable with spitting in the ocean.

But WHY is everyone taking Amazon's side ? While one of the two items does come from China (and it looks like it as well) the mere fact that I COULD have had it either the next day or the day after IS proof that it was warehoused within a day's truck travel of my home. My question, and it is one that NO ONE here can answer, is why did Amazon wait for a solid week before shipping?

Does Amazon make so much money off the Prime memberships that they can air-ship almost anything to almost anywhere and still make money? If so, then there must be a huge number of Prime members that do not take advantage of all that Prime offers.

Maybe next time I will do as I did a year or so ago and go ahead with the Prime membership for the immediate order and then cancel the membership two weeks later.

I generally select the lowest-cost option for shipping when I buy mail order and I expect it to take a bit longer to arrive. But other than Amazon I have never had an order delayed from the supplier to the shipping company until the last minute.

Oh, one last comment. This IS the rant forum and people ranting do NOT need to be logical.

Old 04-09-17, 11:12 AM
Furd, you crack me up.
I think you answered your own question.
Priority will be prime. And most people want it NOW.

Old 04-09-17, 11:23 AM
Maybe they put us tightwads on the back burner while they fill all their prime orders first, then ship ours at the last moment no matter where is it warehoused.

Old 09-02-17, 11:39 PM
Don't recall ever having a delayed shipment. Another side of this dilemma is Amazon delivering items to early.

You think I kid but, it is frustrating if you are expecting a package on Tuesday [and make plans to be there so that it does not get stolen] then it arrives on Monday and sits vulnerable on the front porch all day.

Old 09-03-17, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually tracking gives you a good idea of what day a package will be delivered. I don't worry about security if it's USPS or FedEx but the UPS driver they have now thinks it's ok to set whatever package he is delivering next to my mailbox post which isn't even remotely visible from my house/yard.

Old 09-03-17, 06:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I haven't ordered anything from Amazon yet. Are they ever going to start the long promised drone delivery system? For people who live in neighborhoods where the pkg might get stolen, I think that there is a option to require a signature.

Old 09-03-17, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
why did Amazon wait for a solid week before shipping?
I understand 100% what you are talking about. I refuse to get Prime. If you choose free shipping..... your order is placed lower in the que. It's then processed and shipped for delivery by the last date listed. I just had an in-stock item received that took 7 business days in the same state. I could have driven to Amazon to get it.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-17, 05:44 PM
quite possible they are using that time getting the item to the closest warehouse to you if its not stocked there, but really this isn't anything new, If your not a prime member and opt for free shipping its going to be slow about shipping.

Old 09-03-17, 08:07 PM
I have no idea what caused this thread to be resurrected.

Thank you, Pete! That is the same conclusion I have come to. I have opted twice over the years to take the free trial and then canceled before the trial end date.

Alan, it had nothing to do with moving the item to a closer warehouse, if they could deliver the next day via Prime then it obviously was not more than eight hours away. They simply want people to spend the extra money for the Prime membership...which is their prerogative as I don't own any Amazon stock. At $800 plus per share what individual does?

Mark, my UPS driver is top notch and ALWAYS leaves the packages at my front door which cannot be seen from the street. Conversely, FedEx often leaves things at the front of the garage in plain view of the street. For USPS I have a clusterbox with locked parcel bins.