Road Crews

Old 04-12-17, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Road Crews

I love living where I do. I just have a few pet peeves. One is the number of people it takes to seal cracks in asphalt. If you note in this picture, there are two flagmen and a truck driver that are not pictured. Now, we have 7 other crew persons that are doing what??? I posed this to others, like I would bring a crew of 9 to your house to install a door and charge you $350 an hour. It would take at least 6 hours to do the job with breaks, etc. The DOT came knocking at your door and did this to you and you didn't even whimper. Shame.

Name:  2017-04-10 11.11.02.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  47.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do not move to California Larry
They would have had at least one highway patrol and two or three trucks that serve as crash barriers and directional signs.
People blaze by at 75 and some highways are named after these guys so it's a tough call.

I do see one guy that looks busy thinking

Old 04-12-17, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When the county road crew put new [unneeded] rails on our one lane bridge they sent out a dozen guys to do the work. Gov't bosses have a real knack for wasting money

Old 04-12-17, 02:49 PM
If this were a Union State civilian flaggers would not be allowed.....police unions insist that this is a job for police officers. The 2 guys at the rear are doing quality control inspection. Governments are not about efficiency or cost effectiveness and this picture provides proof.

Old 04-12-17, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did someone say unions? 8 hrs of work pay for 7 hours of standing around and 1 hour of actually using the shovel you are leaning on. I would have a hard time sleeping if I was on one of those crews and if I still had employees, I would be hopping mad that everyone wasn't busy. It killed me when I did have a crew that I payed them for a full days wages despite them smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day while on the clock.

Old 04-12-17, 03:22 PM
The two guys in the back are talking fishing. There are no cracks in the asphalt where they are walking. Chris, what I hated was them smoking while we were erecting a LEEDS building. No smoke, no fumes, no odors, Low VOC within 25' of the building, which meant they spent more time smoking and walking than they did working.

Old 04-12-17, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
I believe they do the tarring work in the fall here. Now we have major crews doing pothole repair. They very carefully put the hot asphalt in the pothole, they lovingly tap it down with a shovel and then when they move on the first car hits the pothole, knocks the asphalt out and it's spread all over the highway for re-spreading on vehicles.

Old 04-13-17, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by Pjmax
". . . they lovingly tap it down with a shovel . . ."
You're lucky . . . . here they just throw a shovelful in (if it's not too heavy) and move on; expecting the passing vehicles to attend to the tamping down part.

The half-life of a pot-hole patch here is about 6 or 7 minutes . . . . I guess it's part of a job-preservation program, ala Bernie Sanders !

Old 04-13-17, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The road I live on was paved in 1991. Last year they came thru and filled in every other pot hole
But then this is the same hwy dept that rebuilt our little bridge a few yrs ago including forming up along the foundation, installing rebar and then packing it full of hot asphalt

Old 04-13-17, 02:48 PM
Our connecting road gets the obligatory spoonful of patch material, then they tar it all and spread fine gravel on it. Of course only 20% of the gravel stays. The rest gets moved to the shoulder either with traffic or rain. Woe be to any unsuspecting motorcyclists. It isn't pretty.

Old 04-13-17, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
We have a highway (Rt 80) that runs thru Paterson NJ. At that point it's four lanes each way. They've paved up to it and after it but the 5 or so miles directly in Paterson have remained. This is an elevated highway over the town of Patterson so a lot of it is concrete.

Several years ago someone got the bright idea to cut all the potholes square and then fill them. The fill will not stick and the square holes are just wonderful when the tires hit them.