Additional "charges"!!!!

GPS - $65
Concession Recovery Fee? - $64.02
Air Tran Fee? - $19.00
Tourism Fee @ 3.5% - $17.57
San Mateo County Bus Lic - 16.01
Vehicle License Recovery Fee? - $8.19
Sales Tax @ 8.75% - $55.30

Total due - $748.12 - or nearly 50% more than the rental fee.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-17, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check with other rental companies to see if they also have all those add on?

Old 05-23-17, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
When we need to rent, we use Enterprise. Never paid anything even close to that! Of course, we get a small car. Maybe that's the difference?

Old 05-23-17, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Might be regional, too; I've never even heard of half those fees. My last rental (also Enterprise, but I've used Budget at similar rates) was a 1/2 ton pickup truck for a weekend to haul something to daughter's across state. Ran me something under $150. Gives me ideas, though.

Tow call:

Hookup - $55
Mileage - $3/mile
Safety straps - $10
Tow lights - $10
Beacons "on" option - $25
Drop charge - $25
Fuel Surcharge - $10
Admin fee - $10
Credit card surcharge - $10
Cash surcharge - $10

Hmmmm.

Old 05-23-17, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe no longer true but here you use to could rent cars from used car lots by the day.

Edit: I think this was it: Cheap Car Rental Deals | Rental Cars from Rent-A-Wreck | 30 Years of Great Cars, Great Service!

Old 05-23-17, 11:36 AM
The rental company is Enterprise. We are also spending a few days in Denver where we reserved a compact SUV. The additional charges there added up to about $135 which oddly enough is also about 50% of the total rental fee.

I looked at a couple of other rental companies. A compact at Alamo rents for $387 a week at SFO but additional charges drive it up to $518. My issue isn't with the cost of the rental, we rented a small SUV by choice and we expected to pay more. My rant is about all the friggen' add on charges.

Just for info, I looked up an Alamo economy car at Providence Airport (closest to me). A one week rental for an econobox w/GPS is $409.81. Added to that are a bunch of fees and charges similar to those in Denver and San Francisco, which brings the grand total to $658!!!!!

Don't get me started on airline "fees".

Old 05-23-17, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We rent at Enterprise when we need to..........like when wifey backs into my truck with her car and demolishes the back hatch........another story. Never heard of all those charges ! We always fill out and make our request online. Well our Enterprise has a total of 4 cars usually so we request a puky subcompact and pay for that, but usually wind up with a Dodge Charger or something similar. Small town USA.

Oh, Fly Southwest. No surprises, two bags and a carryon included, no reserved seating...good pricing, friendly people, and fast jets

Old 05-23-17, 03:19 PM
If you are renting from an airport location, check nearby non-airport options. Sometimes those extra fees, or some of them, are passed along airport charges.

Also, if you happen to be a Costco member, their rates are usually very good. Car still comes from one of the majors, but they have negotiated good rates.

Old 05-24-17, 02:07 AM
My rant is about all the friggen' add on charges.
Hey you are on vacation and local governments dont want to tax their constituents so YOU get hit with the fees.

Go look at your hotel receipt and see what is charged there!!

Old 05-24-17, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
I agree, look at the fees added to hotel rooms in vacation spots like Vegas. Depending on when and where you book, the fees and taxes can be more than the actual room fee.

Heck, I happen to have my phone and electric bills in front of me. Phone has 6 recovery charges or fees either for reducing the cost of the company's business expenses or to provide certain services to others (normally the elderly or poor, but not always). The electric bill has 4 charges or fees. We have to fund programs they are required to have to fund energy efficiency programs. So those cheap or free bulbs they give out are paid for by us anyway. And then of course there's a fee that helps them recover income lost by people being more efficient in their electrical usage. Say what? And a fee to help defray the costs of line repair and construction (isn't that what is called a cost of doing business)? And finally a fee for the cost of them having to buy blocks of power that are needed in peak times. I've never seen a credit for when they sell power though.

Old 05-24-17, 03:11 AM
I don't rent vehicles very often, and that's a good thing because there's no Avis or Budget or Hertz anywhere around here and Enterprises is over 40 miles away.

So when I needed a rental last month while my Volvo was having a new replacement engine installed, I had to go to a Ford Dealership which does a rental business as a local courtesy. They have no competition, so they are free to charge whatever the market will bear.

I was accidentally quoted $35.95 per day (or $14.98 per hour!) for a Focus with 100 miles or $230 for a full week. As it turned out, they sold the car that was reserved for me, and had to loan me a Taurus (which would normally rent for $55.95) instead under the same Terms.

I kept the car for parts of 5 days and only drove 327 miles out of the allowance of 500. Extra miles would have cost 20

So my total for 5 days was only $195.93, including the 9% Sales Tax which is paid mostly by out-of-staters . . . . and NO extra Fees at the end; so I guess I should be very happy !

Old 05-24-17, 03:21 AM
Vic, I cringe when I open my landline or AT&T bill to see what new charges they have thought up in the past 30 days. Our local electric company is an Electric Membership Corporation, and they buy power from the TVA. I can't complain about the cost of electricity, but the $17 per month "customer charge"?? And I have 3 accounts, so I pay $51 alone in "customer charges". I use probably $10 worth of electricity in my shop, but my bill approaches $35 with all the taxes, etc.

Old 05-24-17, 11:05 AM
I guess it's all about location when it comes to the add on charges. A local Enterprise (no airport) rents the same vehicle nearly $200 cheaper. Add ons amounted to about 20% vice the big airport charges of 50%.

Before I retired I was a frequent flyer. Many trips were Friday afternoon phone calls - as in "can you be in "wherever" by tomorrow?" I flew whatever carrier could get me where I wanted to go when I needed to be there.

Now we fly for leisure (not! flying sucks as bad as a bus ride) and Southwest is always my first choice.

Old 05-24-17, 11:55 AM
Off topic I suppose, but wife had her car at the dealership a year or so ago, and they didn't get it done as quickly as they said they would, so offered her a loaner to drive home and to work the next day. So I got home from work that night, didn't open the garage, and she's telling me this, then said something like the loaner was free but she paid $25 instead. What? That doesn't make any sense. Then she said that they offered her several free options, but she had her eyes on one in the back row that had a $25 "upgrade charge" or something like that. Well, she works too, and I have to admit that she looked pretty cute in that new yellow Camaro! It made her day, and I even let her drive me to Dairy Queen in it that evening.

Old 05-24-17, 12:27 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I should re-activate the rental car reimbursement on my auto insurance. I haven't rented a car in over 20 years so this is all new to me.

I don't travel anymore so I can't see my renting a car other than if mine was in the shop.

Old 05-24-17, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Hard way to get a rental vehicle, get in an accident in order to use the rental car reimbursement on your insurance.

Old 05-24-17, 01:33 PM
As I recall the additional premium for a rental car is about $8 a year, could be a bit more but I'm almost certain it is less than $20. I haven't carried it since I've been retired but when I needed a car for commuting I did have a couple of times it came in handy. Again, as I recall it wasn't limited to the car being in an accident, anything that "put it in the shop" was covered. The insurance companies negotiate significant discounts with the rental agencies so using the insurance dropped the cost to a mere fraction of the "standard" rental rates.

Of course that was more than ten years ago, it might be far, far different today.

Old 05-24-17, 02:04 PM
Our Enterprise shares the same building with the best body shop. Symbiotic relationship.

Old 05-25-17, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Insurance doesn't always pay for all of the rental costs plus most have a time limit. About 10 yrs ago one of my stepsons totaled out his jeep but the insurance didn't agree and had it fixed ... but it cost $5k more than they thought and took almost 3 months to repair. He had to pay $2-$3 a day from the get go because his rental coverage wasn't high enough to cover it and then after a certain time period the rental coverage ran out and he had to pay the full amount. He no longer has that insurance!