EZ start rant

Old 05-23-17, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
EZ start rant

Just sharing my experience and opinion of the so called easy start rewind starters showing up on many trimmers, chain saws, mini tillers....etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
??????????????????????????????????

Old 05-24-17, 12:23 PM
I never have a problem starting my (electric) string trimmer or chain saw.

The string trimmer runs off the tractor battery and the tractor has an inverter to power the 120 volt chain saw. If I actually used it my electric hedge trimmer would also start immediately. Since the tractor is battery-power I can go anywhere I desire and still use my electric tools. No gasoline, no fumes and minimal noise.

Old 05-24-17, 03:15 PM
I was referring to the "ez start" systems on many newer trimmers and chain saws. The idea is pulling on the rope winds a spring then releases and spins the engine. Basically makes a simple system, adds money, weight and maintenance and starting issues.
If someone is unable to pull a chainsaw or trimmer through a regular pull start, perhaps they should not be operating the equipment.

:run:

Old 05-24-17, 03:22 PM
BTW, this thread was created in the proper forum and is informative for that forum....waste of my time moving it here....

Old 05-24-17, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Well, if your original post made sense by including your second post there would be no problem. Your first post made no sense. Why did you wait a day later to make your second post that contains some substance?

Since you are not asking a question or offering advice and rant about how you don't like the device ... it's a rant.

Old 05-24-17, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
I would agree, I'm not a fan of the EZ start.

Old 05-24-17, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
It would be "information" if someone asked a question about it. Posting your dislike for it, puts it in the Rant category. It was the correct move IMO.

Old 05-24-17, 05:02 PM
There are plenty of questions about it, they simply do not land on this site without some mention that results in a search engine finding the info here. Honestly do you want those results bringing them to this forum? Or perhaps where they can find related info...???
Simply because you do not understand the info in the post, does not make it inappropriate.

I volunteer my time giving advice from my extensive experience. I simply ask my time not be wasted.

Old 05-24-17, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
More than forty years ago had a Sears mower with a crank to wind up a spring that then started it. Got to say I liked it a lot better than a rope. Seemed easier to me but maybe it was just me.

Old 05-24-17, 06:50 PM
A waste of time? Seriously? So it got moved. So what? It did seem nonsense at first. It generated conversation and started a small argument. All in all a good post.

Old 05-24-17, 07:35 PM
More than forty years ago had a Sears mower with a crank to wind up a spring that then started it. Got to say I liked it a lot better than a rope. Seemed easier to me but maybe it was just me.
I have seen those as well ray on push mowers, different mowers and I was actually some what impressed with those. I was surprised. I also seen a value in those in the application where an elderly or smaller person may not be able to start the mower but be able to safely operate it once started. And in fact appreciate the excercise (my 73 yr old Ma)
With operating String Trimmers and chain saws are a bit different from a safety view. And as I mentioned, the added: Cost,Weight,Complicity,Maintenance needed greatly adds to the over all $$$

Old 05-24-17, 08:02 PM
Well, thanks BFH. My old push mower just fell apart, long overdue, and I started looking for a replacement. Saw the easy start option but had no idea what is was. Now I know and not sure I like it. No rush as I have my tractor but maybe this fall when they go on sale I'll pick something up, but hopefully without the easy option. Annoying how they play on words to sell something that is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Bud

Old 05-25-17, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
had a Sears mower with a crank to wind up a spring that then started it
I had one like that 50 yrs ago, I don't remember the brand but I doubt it was Sears. Mine worked great until something broke and then the crank handle spun along with the blade To start with it was at a slower speed but then it started really spinning. Kind of scary but it mowed good ..... and besides when you are young you are invincible

Old 05-25-17, 07:45 AM
My first mower (my dads) had a wind-up starter. NEVER started the first try. Spring didn't have enough "travel" to get more than a couple revolutions, whereas a simple rope would spin it several revs.

And I certainly agree that information about starter mechanisms on gas engines belong in that section where it'll do some good--even if it does have the tone of a "rant". But then I've never understood why posting info (rather than a question) is discouraged here.

Old 05-25-17, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
this thread was created in the proper forum and is informative for that forum....waste of my time moving it her
Your opinion which I would bet is not based upon reading the rules of the forum. This is the proper place for a post of this nature.