appliance hard wiring

Old 05-24-17, 10:25 AM
appliance hard wiring

Just changed out my son's Insinkerator disposal. Why oh why must contractors install dishwashers, sink disposals and the like, hard wired, rather than install an outlet? Life would be so much easier to just unplug the unit for servicing rather than going through the electrical undoing and test just to find out the electrical house wiring is fine but the unit is bad. Then you have to undo the circuit breaker and re-wire a new unit back in. A half hour job turned into a two hour job including all the running up and down to the circuit breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe dictated by code ?? Seems like in a town near me all the new house disposals were hardwired, not just one builder/electrician.

Old 05-24-17, 10:59 AM
Hmmm, quicker, less work, less materials. My pet peeve is subcontractors who do their work with little or no regard for any problems or extra work it might cause for the next tradesman.
My painter said the roofer did not provide enough of an overhang over the house rake boards so I shouldn't expect his paint job to last as it otherwise might have....painter also said don't tell the roofer that he, the painter, had given me the head-up.
Plumber ran the horizontal drain pipe in the basement so low across the bulk head opening that I had to order a custom height door that wouldn't hit the drain pipe.

Old 05-24-17, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's funny you should bring this up. I just did a completion the other day and the old disposer had 3/8 flex. I pretty much refuse to hardwire a disposer, so I added a handy box and receptacle.
I may or may not get paid for the work but I think it makes it easier on me and the customer. I would rather add a receptacle than try to hardwire a disposer, the design is bad for that in most cases or every case.

Name:  dispreceptacle.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 05-24-17, 03:57 PM
And the best part is that the extra 5 feet of wire was wrapped around the drain pipe going into the wall. Why bother cutting it and stapling it to the back side of the cabinet?

Old 05-25-17, 03:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My painter said the roofer did not provide enough of an overhang over the house rake boards so I shouldn't expect his paint job to last as it otherwise might have
I'm not a 100% certain I agree, sounds more like the painter is using it as an excuse because he's skimped on the quality of his coating or how it was applied. Less overhang can play a part in darker colors fading but I'd think that would be a bigger issue in an intense sunny state like fla than further north. Gutters should prevent rain running off the roof and you sure can't stop rain drops from hitting the entire exterior of a house.

btw - the carpenter built the roof structure and he was going by the plans, the size of the overhang had nothing to do with the roofer.