dealership service pricing

Old 06-09-17, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
dealership service pricing

Took my wife's car to the dealer this morning to get her complimentary first oil change. The TV in the waiting room had a split screen; FOX news and Nissan advertisements including various jobs and pricing. The one that stuck out was battery service - $79.95. What's battery service? I know they don't replace the battery for that so I suppose it's clean terminals and add water/electrolyte. Any profit in that job

They told my wife the oil change would only take 30 minutes and since I got there early and was the first one in the waiting room I assume they were able to get to her car promptly ..... but it was 65 minutes before they were done. They still print out a receipt. $34.95 oil change plus $13.01 labor. Wonder how many they surprise with that add on

On the bright side, they didn't have a regular coffee pot but one that made individual cups and one of their office girls realized I was a little confused, showed me how it worked and even picked out the container that was real coffee [not latte] There were also breakfast snacks, healthy and sweet - sweet won

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-17, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
I find John Deere to have some of the most expensive shop rates. It costs more per hour to have my tractor fixed than an airplane. Really! The maintenance shop at the airport is cheaper than John Deere. Oh it the airplane mechanics knew how to tear down a hydrostatic transmission...

Old 06-09-17, 10:46 AM
It's like I tell my wife, no, coffee or whatever you choose at a dealership is not free. I understand their cost of overhead, the fact that the vehicle manufacturers they represent require them to have exotic facilities, their very well trained personnel, and that they have to at least appear to be competitive, but I do not agree with dragging me in with the bold print and then tacking on all of those incidentals that often add up to a significant amount.

Old 06-09-17, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Big overhead = big prices. 48 bucks for an oil change; must be $7 a quart oil.

Old 06-09-17, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the only oil change they'll be doing on her car. Here forward I'll change her oil - cheaper and no wait time

The jeep dealer is always sending me oil change coupons for my jeep. Only $19.99 but it doesn't include all of the oil needed, $2 per quart oil disposal fee, oil filter disposal fee and shop supplies. I'd shudder to know what that real cost would be.

Old 06-09-17, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
". . . Took my wife's car to the dealer this morning to get her complimentary first oil change . . ."
Didn't they find something else that needed fix'n while it was already up on the lift, and convenient to repair ?

Old 06-09-17, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Had to change out the wheel hub assembly on my Suburban. All the bolts were stripped from some other previous change out. To boot, the caliper bolts were stripped as well. So I need to buy 5 bolts - 2 were 1 1/2" long, 3 were 3 1/2" long. The cost of 5 bolts......$40 I have no idea how they keep the lights on at these dealerships giving the product away like that.

I had them quote me on a the actual wheel hub assembly (the part only) - $518 Bought it at an auto supply store for $135.

Old 06-09-17, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Didn't they find something else that needed fix'n while it was already up on the lift
While they did a multi point inspection I doubt they looked too close as the car only has 4500 miles on it.

IMO the only time to buy parts from a dealer is when it's something no other store has!

Old 06-09-17, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
48 bucks for an oil change; must be $7 a quart oil.
I have paid over 80 for an oil change at a company with the initials JL. It's crazy how they offer a somewhat high or reasonable price for 3 or 4 quarts, and then charge you a fortune if you go over a quart or two.
This isn't a scam (hah), they clearly list their prices, but how does 4 quarts to 6 quarts = an additional $40.00?
The dealer is actually cheaper around here and some have their own free car wash.
(don't want to spoil your rant Norm, it's all too expensive)

Old 06-09-17, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
If I ever go to a dealership and have to sit in the waiting room, those snacks and drinks are like an all you can eat buffet. LOL

Might as well, you're paying through the nose for it.

Old 06-09-17, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
........ and now we know why they call them "Stealer-ships".

I have to ask cause I'm not sure I understand. This was a "complimentary first oil change" but they still gave y'all a bill for $35 for the oil change & $13 for labor? Apparently, either myself or the stealership doesn't understand the meaning of "complimentary".

Old 06-09-17, 04:29 PM
They need to bill it out for tax and accounting purposes. Write off as a "Cost of Business". Now the $13 for labor is at most 6 minutes of average shop rate so not sure what that was coded on for.

Walking to the parts department????

Old 06-09-17, 05:28 PM
I remember many years back tacking my daughter's car in for an inspection at the dealers. Replace a headlamp bulb, $50. I caused a big ruckus over that yelling loudly so that lots of other people would hear, in the waiting room that I'll take the job if it pays $50 to change bulb. It was more than just that. They tried to rip me off saying the rear wiper blade needed replacement in order to pass inspection. I look up the rules and loudly asked them how many people were they ripping off over that one?

What got me going was just before them trying to push me around I watched as the service manager ripped off a young lady over stupid and made up stuff. I got so mad I was ready to say something, but thought I'd better stay out of it. Then they brought me my bill for my daughter;s car. I went ballistic. They told me to leave and I did not have to pay for the bulb or wiper blade.

However, currently my local Ford dealer has several specials with oil changes that are cheaper than doing it myself. I do trust them and I have my own mechanic that I trust implicitly.

Old 06-09-17, 05:37 PM
So, I am a GM employee and in a recent prior job my responsibilities included working out service periods for various vehicle fluids with the service organization.

Had to take one of our cars in and the service "advisor" came to me with what looked like an egg crate with drops of various fluids from my car and drops of new fluids stating that I should consider several fluid & filter changes.

I promptly reminded him in front of other customers that the color of the fluid had absolutely nothing to do with it's ability to function and that milage/time was the guideline that GM gave.

Well, he just shrugged and walked off, I doubt anything changed other than I do not go there any more.

Old 06-10-17, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This was a "complimentary first oil change" but they still gave y'all a bill for $35 for the oil change & $13 for labor?
Maybe a receipt is a better word. It listed all the work done [oil change and inspection] along with the charges and at the bottom it states 'misc disc' which deducted the entire charge for a $0 balance.

Old 06-10-17, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator
Just to be clear, it's not just dealers. Took my wifes SUV to a Firestone shop since I knew a guy and they weren't busy. Just for an oil change and State inspection (back in VA prob 15 yrs ago). Called me and said it needs new front wipers to pass (probably valid). Asked how much...$37!! I said, forget it, fail it and I'll be down with a new set, install them, and you can inspect it again for free. Bought the wipers for about $12, went down and it was still in the bay, they said we'll install them for free (oh thank you so very much for that 2 min job!) and passed it.

I understand, for the time they spend to do an inspection by the book and only get paid $10 (State law), they'd look for anything to get a profit, but it's not going to be out of mon pocket.

Old 06-10-17, 03:47 AM
I think it's a nice gesture to give their Patrons a complimentary Oil Change, and the zeroed out Invoice serves to prime them for when they have to pay for the 2nd Oil Change . . . . and insures that they won't go into shock or start acting out and make a scene in the Waiting Room. It puts them on notice as to what to expect, and the well stocked Coffee/Donut kiosk is supposed to set a high standard.

Those that aren't suitably impressed can go elsewhere . . . . but they probably have to make sure they obtain evidence that they got that mandatory Oil Change in a timely and professional manner in order to satisfy the Warranty.

Old 06-10-17, 09:06 AM
If I were to change the oil in my wife's Jeep it would cost around $30-$35 dollars for the oil and filter (Pennzoil and Fram). It doesn't seem outrageous to pay the dealer $50 or so to do the job.

Luckily, I've bought our last 2 cars from the same dealer that offers free oil changes for as long as we own the car. Of course whenever I take it in for an oil change they offer me all sorts of other service like fuel injector cleaning, air filter replacement, wipers etc. I know how to say "no thank you" and I made sure that my wife does too.

Old 06-10-17, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
While they did a multi point inspection I doubt they looked too close as the car only has 4500 miles on it.
Did that include replacing the winter air in the tires with summer air ?

Old 06-10-17, 01:48 PM
Did that include replacing the winter air in the tires with summer air ?
You laugh but I know a guy that used to change the air in his tires on his Corvair every so often! Maybe someday if I run across him I will ask him if he still does that and why.

Old 06-10-17, 02:37 PM
Isn't there something about putting nitrogen in tires instead of just air? Suppose to be better but I don't know why!

Old 06-10-17, 02:41 PM
Isn't there something about putting nitrogen in tires instead of just air? Suppose to be better but I don't know why!
It is claimed to keep tire pressure from dropping over time, not worth the money in my opinion, but I take care of all my auto needs including checking air pressure on a regular basis.

Old 06-11-17, 02:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They did have nitrogen service on the board - $19.95

Old 06-11-17, 03:43 AM
The two things I have heard about using nitrogen is that it is not as affected by temperature related pressure changes, and that the molecular structure is slightly larger than air resulting in less pressure loss over time. I do not know that it is as beneficial as the initial reports indicated because it seems, to me anyway, that some of that initial hype has waned, but I do believe that maintaining correct tire pressure is important to vehicle handling and mileage, particularly on modern vehicles, so if it helps it seems like a good thing. The downside is that, as I understand, it takes only a little bit of air in the tire to negate the effectiveness of the nitrogen, so, if you have it in your tires, you want to inflate them if they need it with nitrogen.

Old 06-11-17, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
NASCAR uses nitrogen in there tires also airliners.

Old 06-11-17, 05:41 AM
I've got a few:
Charged 15 minutes labor to change an oil filter.
Got charged for 10 hours of labor. I asked how this was possible as the employee ID was the same for all 10 hours and they only had the car for 8 hours. I was told that each job is charged out based on the rate book.
Car was in for annual State Inspection. One week before I had changed the cabin filter myself (took less than 10 minutes......dealer charges 20 minutes worth of time). Service manager tells me cabin filter is dirty and needs to be changed. I told him I had recently changed it and was curious as to how it could get so dirty as I had only driven the car around town. He said they would just blow it out with air.
Local tire chain that is notorious trying to sell unneeded work told me my car needed new struts. I declined and took it to my local mechanic who measured them and said they were within manufacturer's acceptable limits. They also tried that when they heard my brand new semi-metallic brakes squeak a little.

Old 06-11-17, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most service jobs are on a set manufacture rate. How that rate is calculated is different at different shops. Time for job is usually found in flat rate book or at some places they have set fees for jobs. Struts and shocks are a common one that a flat fee is charged for all cars. Some are easy some are hard all get same charge.

Old 06-11-17, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They do try to use scare tactics Last year there was a recall on my jeep. They claimed my front end was in dire need of alignment. I have no uneven tire wear and it drives straight/fine so I declined. About every month since I get an alignment offer in the mail from the jeep dealer along with a paragraph about how dangerous it is to drive a vehicle that isn't aligned properly.

Old 06-11-17, 06:09 AM
Most service jobs are on a set manufacture rate. How that rate is calculated is different at different shops. Time for job is usually found in flat rate book or at some places they have set fees for jobs. Struts and shocks are a common one that a flat fee is charged for all cars. Some are easy some are hard all get same charge

I understand the flat rate book pricing. If a job takes longer than the flat rate book will the dealership honor this or charge for actual time spent?

Old 06-11-17, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Normal dry air is 78% nitrogen. Somehow I doubt if I add a pound or 2 of air to nitrogen filled tires it will make all that much of a difference.

I understand it for racing and planes...they go through extreme temperature swings.

All nitrogen does is make a novice think he never needs to check his tire pressure. I harped and harped on my -ex and her kid (when he even tried to listen, now he knows everything) that you need to check things on your car before trips. Especially when traveling from 5000ft and cold down to sea level and warm and back. Check it when you leave, check it when you get there, check it when you leave there, check it when you get home. Visually inspect tires. Same for oil and radiator. All of this takes 10 min max.

Of course I (and many of you) grew up in a time where tires and engines leaked and we (at least I) would never think of taking a 1000mi trip w/o these basic precautions. I still carry a small tool kit and various small parts (wire, tape, fuses, etc), a bundle of flares, a plug in worklight, etc.

I can honestly say in probably 20 trips coast to coast in everything from a 67 GTO, to a 71 Gran Prix to a 81 Accord to a 98 Dakota, I've had exactly one mechanical problem. That was an oil filter rub on the header that wore through. Fixed it in 10 min in a Kmart parking lot under the watchful eye of a Denver police officer.

Any place, whether it be a quick lube, dealer, chain shop or one bay shop that tells me such BS as needing a cabin filter or air cleaner filter or new shocks will lose my business. Went to a quickie lube place once and I specifically told them, do not top off fluids. They came back and said I should change my cabin filter. I said "That's odd, thought this trim level doesn't have a cabin filter...show me!" Stutter Stammer...let me check! Nope, no filter and they HAD topped off the fluids, incl brake. I blew a gasket and wound up getting it all free. Still never went back.

Old 06-12-17, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An electrician I used to work with took his personal truck to a quick lube type place for an oil change prior to going on a several state trip to his sister's wedding. They topped off the brake reservoir with the wrong fluid He ended up paying another shop to replumb his brakes while he rented a vehicle to make the trip.

Those that don't pay attention to their vehicles is why we now have the idiot light for tire pressure [along with the expensive valve stem] anti-lock brakes, lack of gauges and others - most of which I don't care for.

Old 06-12-17, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shops that I worked for if it took longer than book time to bad for mechanic not the customer. Same for if it took shorter than time posted, good foe mechanic bad for customer. This is why you see large tool boxers in shops, These are mechanics personal tools to do the job faster.