Slow website

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-17, 07:28 AM
Slow website

First, let me say that I am very grateful for this website. I have gotten great assistance.

Second, allow me to say that in " Do to overwhelming popularity, this forum shall remain.", the "Do" should be "Due".

Third, why is the website so incredibly slow? Or at least very slow. As I look at the six tabs I have open (various DIY pages), I see that they are all reloading (over and over again), which might be one reason for the slowness. Another might be a large amount of moving stuff on the pages (I understand the need for ads, but if they slow that site as they might do, something should be done).

When I started writing this post, the letters only unwillingly put themselves on the screen (and at some point, my typing was interrupted). Something is rotten in the State of Denmark (Hamlet)!

As I said, something should be done.

By the way, I use the latest Firefox.

Best regards,

Hans L

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hope some of problems will be fixed in next update (soon I hope)

Old 07-07-17, 07:54 AM
pugsi, glad to hear it. Thanks!

Hans L

Old 07-07-17, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Be sure you know your password. Go in and clean out your cache in Firefox. I experience the same problem and it's due to loading 100's of DIY pages. I access up to 100 threads a day.

In the upper right of the screen click on the three horizontal lines.
Then click on options.
Then click on privacy.
Under history you'll see a clickable link...."clear your recent history"
This is what I clear.

Name:  ff.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  39.2 KB

Be aware.... some sites will behave differently until you re-establish cookies.
You could just try "cache" to see if that helps.

Old 07-07-17, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I never clear history, cache or anything else and the only time it seems slow to me is when everything else I'm doing seems to be a bit slow also. Then I look and see that FF and other processes are using over 1/2 my memory and making my processor work more than it should. Close FF or occasionally just do a re-boot and it's off to the races. Btw, I don't mean every day or even every few days. More like every other week or so.

Old 07-08-17, 06:12 AM
I just cleared everything, restarted FF, and it took 9 seconds for DIY page to open. Opened pages still reload regularly. So, something is not right.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 06:16 AM
I just opened this page in IE ... 2 seconds! Between yesterday and today, I installed FF v55.0b7, and same slowness at this site. May I suggest it is not well adapted to Firefox? That is not unusual, unfortunately. And no reloading of pages in IE.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
I use Chrome with no problem so if you don't want to use the Devil's browser you might try Chrome. If you're paranoid about Google spys try Vivaldi.

Old 07-08-17, 10:43 AM
ray, I do like my Firefox. But, until your webmaster(s) have figured out how to get the site to work well with Firefox, I'll use IE.

Regards,

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
FWIW, I use FF and it loads fast for me. While something is going on, I don't think it's anything to do with this site and Firefox.

Old 07-08-17, 01:31 PM
Shadeladie, what version of FF are you using? Perhaps this started with one of the later versions? I had 53.0.1 and now I have 55.0b7. Both slow and pages keep reloading.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
That's odd. I have version 54.0.1 which is the latest one. Something doesn't sound right about the 0b7.?

Old 07-08-17, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Altho this is for Windows. Perhaps there's different versions for Mac or IPhone or whatever you're using.

Old 07-08-17, 01:48 PM
I have Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. FF 55.0b7 is a beta version for Windows. It does a little better on this site than my 53 version did. But when I open a new page in a new tab, the pages in the other tabs keep reloading. There is certainly something that is not right. I'll go on some fora to see if others have this problem with FF.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
It must have something to do with the beta version. I don't have any problems with the 54 version.

Old 07-08-17, 02:08 PM
I am seeing the same thing. Windows 8.1 using Firefox 54.0.1.

Don't know what's going on but this site is A LOT slower than others. Actually as I typed this post the letters shows up one at a time about 1 second after I typed them.

If I leave this site on without closing it after use, in task manager Firefox memory will start building up more and more and more - with zero activity on the computer - to almost 2G and I have to end task to get it to free up the memory.

In other words, say I open up four tabs on different web sites, if this site is one of the four tabs, do nothing at all, walk away and come back in four hours, the FF memory would grow from 200K to 2G. If I take out this web site but have others like ebay, Amazon etc all have ads and videos, the memory stays low. No idea why. For this reason I close this site as soon as I finish.

Also for some reason for a month now, I am unable to come to this site with automatic log in. Each time I am forced to sign in. Tried clearing cookies, no luck. Strange.

Old 07-08-17, 02:44 PM
I am now on the site with FF i Safe mode. Same thing. RAM 450 MB; has gone up steadily. Will turn of this site and see what RAM does.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 02:47 PM
Went out of this site, and RAM dove from 521 MB to 370 MB in 5 seconds. I do not think that one can say that this website is innocent any longer. As is so often the case, different hardware, different result with same software (FF in this case). I hope DIY will check this out.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 04:44 PM
I am now using a new Firefox profile, and things are much faster, However, RAM is now up to 850 MB for FF. And reloading still takes place. RAM now up to 1 GB. 1.2 GB. I'm outta here.

Hans L

Old 07-08-17, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
I have always thought the problem was with Google ads... pages that never fully load, pages that reload as you are trying to type... have the same problem on other forums that also load ton of ads...

Old 07-08-17, 06:48 PM
Could very well be the ads. I have rarely seen so much movement on a website as on this one. And I have absolutely no idea what was advertised!

Old 07-09-17, 11:43 AM
Someone on Mozillazine suggested this:

Try to disable multi-process.
browser.tabs.remote.autostart = false
browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 = false

----------------

"browser.tabs.remote.autostart" was already set to "false", but "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" was set to "true", so I changed it to "false".

Now, things are fast, tabs have no icons on them, and they do not show any signs of reloading. RAM is up from 395 MB to 540 MB, but is slowly increasing. However, I closed three tabs, and RAM is now down to 450 MB.

I do not know if the website changed or if my setting a property to "false" did this, but I suggest those of you who also have had problems do the same and report back. Thanks!

Hans L

Old 07-09-17, 12:23 PM
The problem is primarily with Firefox but is compounded by certain websites, including this one, that have lots of active scripts running in the background. I get the same problem on my local television news site. I can have a jillion tabs open on ebay with no problem but here I have to limit myself to no more than ten tabs.

Old 07-09-17, 01:26 PM
Well, pugsl said this at an early stage in this thread:

"Hope some of problems will be fixed in next update (soon I hope)"

We'll hope with you, Pugsl!!!

Hans L

Old 07-09-17, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
I'm running FF. I previously explained what I do.

The IT guys have mentioned a new version of vBulletin approx. 7/11.

Old 07-09-17, 02:42 PM
Furd, if the problem is primarily with Firefox, this site must be so advanced that FF has not caught up, and so advanced that most other sites have also not caught up (since I have no probs with FF on them). I also have a bridge in NY if someone would be interested.

Old 07-09-17, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
OK, this thread has run it's course and will be closed.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread