Rental car rant

Old 07-08-17, 11:56 AM
Rental car rant

Picked up a rental in Denver at the airport. We didn't get it from the guy that tries harder, we got it from the other guy. We walked into a fancy rental office and there was no line! Just one hour later we drove off the lot! We used a rental kiosk (as directed) with a screen and camera and dealt with some idiot in a cube farm somewhere. After 3 tries she finally got the contract (10 pages) right but then kiosk the printer crapped out.

But wait - it gets better.

We picked up our 2nd rental at the San Francisco airport. We went to the rental office as directed by all the yellow signs - It was closed with a "customers with reservations please use our office up one flight." Up we go - only to run into a line of probably 100 people (I have photos). After standing in line for 10-15 minutes I noticed that there were several unused kiosks (yup, the same kind that sucked in Denver), so I ducked under the ropes and it took just 5 minutes to get a rental contract and directions where to pick up the car. "They may have just redeemed themselves" I told my wife. Not so fast! We took the elevator down to the humongous rental car garage and there were no cars!!!
Instead there was a line of maybe 100 people (got another photo) waiting for cars to be returned. 45 minutes later we got a car.

This was our first time using this well known rental car company (we got a deal through the airline) and it will certainly be our last. All that waiting in line really hurts.

End of rant

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure there is anything I dislike worse than waiting in line

Old 07-08-17, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure there is anything I dislike worse than waiting in line
How about finally getting to the front of the line and finding no TP?

As to the rental car thing, I found a lot of it depends on day and hour...and of course where you are going. Ex- rented a car one time in San Diego when she went to visit son. They upgraded her to a conv Mustang because it was all they had left, no extra charge. When she came back to return it and pay 4 days later, they only charged her for 1 day. Somehow they messed it up and showed she'd already prepaid 3 days. Ahhhhh incompetence.

Of course when I last rented one years and years ago, I showed up and instead of the Chrysler product mini-van I was expecting, I got to drive around in LA traffic in a damn Astrovan! Thanks MIL at the time! I specifically had said, make sure its a Chrysler product...."Ohhhhh, but those cost $5 more a day.....ewwww."

When one was rented for me way back in my days with NATO, I was going to New Orleans and Jacksonville IIRC doing a workup for equipment installations. Either Chevy Lumina or Taurus I'm sure. Though I seem to remember a wagon in New Orleans. A WAGON...IN NEW ORLEANS! WTH were they thinking. No problems with the actual rentals, but then I arrived Monday afternoons and flew out Wed afternoons. Not exactly peak travel times.

Now I just travel like a hermit crab...I bring my own shell with me. Flying now has sucked all the excitement out of the trip. 1/2 my enjoyment is saying...hey look over there...a giant jackalope made of steel in the middle of that field, lets go take a look! The destination is just a excuse to travel, not the reason FOR travel.

Old 07-17-17, 12:31 PM
This is a continuation of my original rant -

My CC was billed $32 today by the car rental company for using their equivalent of Fast pass at a tollbooth. We crossed the Golden gate Bridge where there are no cash lanes. It is entirely electronic tolling.

Once the rental car toll feature is used, you are billed for it for every day of the rental, whether or not it is ever used again. So for a $7.50 bridge toll the rental car company charged us $32. How friggen' sleazy is that?

They have ticked me off so much that it "hurts".

Old 07-17-17, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Oh man, somehow I'd be contesting those additional charges. Though I'm sure it's in the fine print that you need a loupe to read.

Old 07-18-17, 11:43 AM
Since the toll is a state toll I would be asking them if that charge is part of their agreement with the rental company or if this was invented by them? In other words, if the rental co is being billed then they have to pass that along. But if they are pocketing the extra daily charges the state might want to know about it.

Bud