Road debris

Old 07-18-17, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Road debris

I had to go to the doctor this morning. They are located NNW of me so you'd think I wouldn't have to drive into the sun but the roads wind a good bit. Every time I was headed east without a mountain to block the sun there was something in the road. Apparently some one was moving with an unsecured load. I almost ran into a mattress, next bright curve was part of a Christmas tree, then a table lamp and other odds and ends. Unrelated to that debris was a tire carcass and a big dog that just stood in my lane ..... and all of this was where the bright sun was shining in my eyes - the rest of the road was clear

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 09:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you report it to the highway dept.

Old 07-18-17, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, but on the return trip home I noticed the Christmas tree and the mattress was on the shoulder. Didn't notice the other stuff.

Old 07-18-17, 10:22 AM
Sounds like the things you saw were likely, as you said, from an unsecured load. Still, don't people pay attention? And of course, the answer is a simple "no", they don't pay attention. But am sure you see the same things as we do pretty regularly, living off the beaten path, indiscriminate dumping, anything from beer bottles to large appliances. Every once in a while we'll take a half dozen garbage bags with us when we go for a walk, and can almost count on filling them with bottles, cans, and other similar size items at about one bag per half mile or so. When we get back home I take the truck down the road a mile and a half or however far we decided to go, load up bags to be set out for the next trash pick up and any scrap metal goes on my pile to go to the recycler. Every once in a while we'll find something that came off a piece of farm equipment, and I don't mind that, in fact will usually stand it against a tree or whatever if it's still good hoping they'll see it, but the broken appliance parts, worn out lawn mower decks, etc. really grind me.

Old 07-18-17, 10:27 AM
No
Why report it to us & not the highway dept?

Old 07-18-17, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I left the house a little after 7am so I kind of suspect the house move was done in the dark. Makes you wonder what they thought when they went to unload and started missing stuff

Incompetence is one thing but I can't stand a litterbug

Old 07-18-17, 10:35 AM
If they realized that they had lost something along the way, garbage or valuable items , I'm sure that they just continued on their journey. I don't think that they dumped it on purpose.

Old 07-18-17, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't mean to imply that I thought of the scattered household items as being littered, that was just incompetent loading imo. I was referring to pedro's comment about the trash that purposely litters.

Old 07-18-17, 01:56 PM
Pedro, kudos to you for cleaning up.

Years back I was following a dump truck (at a reasonable safe distance) that had a 2 x 10 loaded with the end sticking above the cab. You guessed it, the wind caught it, and flung it off the truck into my direct driving path. Because of the distance I was able to just avoid it. I followed the truck to the exit and gave him hell for a dangerous situation. His response was "where is my piece of lumber! I need it." No regard to my safety of the hazard left on the highway.

Old 07-18-17, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe some people don't know this; In California you call 911 for road debris, it is allowed and encouraged. This is for serious debris like a ladder, pallet, etc., something dangerous.
They act quickly to slow traffic and remove the item.

Things like ladders are killers for motorcycle riders or even cars.

Old 07-18-17, 04:59 PM
that was just incompetent loading
I agree. There is no doubt about it.