gun registration

Old 07-24-17, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
gun registration

Saturday my wife went to walmart and bought a lever action 22. That evening they called and said there was a problem with the registration and she needed to come back in. Since it was almost time for her to go to work she agreed to come in monday - she forgot. Getting ready to take her to the doctor and walmart called, said it would only take a minute to straighten it out. After 15 minutes of them trying to figure out what needed to be done we had to leave. Came back on the way home and it took about 10 minutes or so to fix it.

The problem was their computer printed the house number in the correct location but the street name bled over into the city box. She had to cross out the street name, write it in next to the house number and initial both boxes. Not sure why they couldn't just circle the street name with an arrow towards the house number.

On a side note, my wife went to an OBGYN. A man signed in just in front of my wife, got called to the back, stayed about a half hour and left [alone] what's up with that

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-17, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Its one of those gender identity things I guess. I mean, men are now encouraged to go into the ladies bathrooms if they identify themselves more as women than a man, so maybe this is just the next step. He identifies himself more as a woman so he goes to get checked out by a GYN, I guess.

Old 07-24-17, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A man signed in just in front of my wife, got called to the back, stayed about a half hour and left [alone] what's up with that
I'm trying to get used to all those sex change things too.

Old 07-25-17, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
The ATF recently declared Minnesotans with permits to carry a pistol which expire after August 1, 2019 have been through a sufficient background check that they no longer need to each time they purchase a pistol - you simply pay, fill out the form and then walk out with your gun. Many chain stores have policy in place which prevents this and the one mentioned here is one of those. We now don't buy pistols from those stores.

Old 07-25-17, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It just seemed to me to be a lot of fuss over a word [street name] that was mostly printed into the next box on the form.

She does like her new rifle! wish I could learn to shoot left handed but it just seems so awkward.

Old 07-25-17, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
I'm a firearms instructor and it's been a surprise to me how many people have mismatched eye-hand dominance and how quickly they shoot better when you put the gun in the same hand as the dominant eye. So for you, Mark, whichever eye it is you have still working is the hand with which you should always shoot.

Old 07-25-17, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know, I used to be a good shot but with the lack of vision in my right eye - I can't hit anything shooting right handed. Shooting left handed just feel awkward! I know if I practiced more that would get better. You'd think someone who no longer works for a living would have more time to do the fun stuff.

Old 07-25-17, 02:06 PM
Your profile says you're from Tennessee. There is NO gun registration in Tennessee. NONE. Once you crossed the store's palm with silver and you had the rifle in your hands, you had absolutely ZERO legal obligation to help them correct any mistakes they might have made, and they had absolutely ZERO legal recourse to force you to come back.

You would have been entirely within your legal rights if you had sold the gun to the first person you encountered in the parking lot before you got to your car (provided they were a citizen of the same state and lawfully eligible to own a firearm) with absolutely no documenting paperwork to show for it.

I'd have told them I'd come back to help them out in exchange for a free brick of ammunition. Otherwise they could pound sand.

Old 07-25-17, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Didn't know that. Really didn't mind going back to fix their mistake but it aggravates me when someone lies to me [even though I'm sure it wasn't intentional] They said it would only take a minute but they couldn't figure it out in 15 the first time and took about 10 minutes when we returned an hour or two later. A box of shells would have made coming back sweeter

Old 07-25-17, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
been through a sufficient background check that they no longer need to each time they purchase a pistol - you simply pay, fill out the form and then walk out with your gun
Can you post a link of that info? because I have not herd that and I just completed my 3rd round of carry permit tranning. My carry permit has always been my permit to purchase for the 10+ years I have had it. As far as I know I still need to fill out the ATF form 4473 and the NCIS check when purchasing a handgun or "assault rifle" from an FFL

Old 07-25-17, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
TI
Stickshift is saying just what you have isn't he? If you have a concealed carry permit, you have an exemption to section 21 on the 4473. In his case, at least if the permit expires after the given date. I'd presume something changed in their training preceding that date by a certain time frame?

I don't have a permit (not really needed in AZ anyway), so they would have to do a background check on me, but we have a similar law I believe.

Pretty sure it depends on whether the State has had their requirements reviewed by ATF.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-25-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 06:45 PM
Stickshift is 100% correct in my opinion.

I grew up shooting left handed. I got my first gun (a .22) when I was 8 years old. I shot a rifle left handed and a bow right handed. I was pretty good with a rifle but I really sucked at archery. It was years later that I learned about the master eye and when I switched to left hand archery the improvement was dramatic.

By the time I joined the military I was a pretty good rifle shot. However, in boot camp I failed to qualify! They would not allow me to shoot (M1) left hand!

Past boot camp I ended up shooting on a navy pistol team for several years with some success.

It's all about the master eye.

Old 07-25-17, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
And the dominant eye is so easy to check. I'm no trainer (not that anyone in charge of our weapons was either), but I had a couple of people who couldn't pass try the test and then shoot that way. Hey...they passed! Oh, they shot right handed, with their left eye. Looked a little funny at the line, but what the hay?

Old 07-26-17, 02:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
they shot right handed, with their left eye. Looked a little funny at the line, but what the hay?
I've tried that but can't hardly hit anything ..... maybe my neck isn't limber enough. I have better luck shooting left handed but it doesn't feel natural

Old 07-26-17, 03:36 AM
Group Moderator
Stickshift is saying just what you have isn't he?
It sounds like that is the case but I have had a carry permit for over 10 years and it has always been accepted as a purchase permit. It is not new.

When learning to shoot my dad noticed I was closing my right eye to aim. He told me to shoot left handed. Later did I learn I am left eye dominant. I shoot long guns and bows left hand, pistols right. I am also right handed. I was happy that the AR-15 has the bump on the side of the ejection port to deflect the brass forward and to the right.

Old 07-26-17, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Tolyn:

The change is the NICS check - you still fill out the 4473 but then you're done; no more waiting to get Approved or, in my case, Delayed.

ATF: Minnesota permit to carry now satisfies background check for buying guns - StarTribune.com

Old 07-26-17, 09:45 AM
When learning to shoot my dad noticed I was closing my right eye to aim.
Can you close your left eye? I have never been able to close my left so I've always shot left handed.

Old 07-26-17, 11:57 AM
Was talking with a BIL over the weekend, and he said that he had recently shot 100 of 100 clays. Well that wasn't anything new, because I already knew that he and his wife had both hit 100%, actually quite a few times. Then he added that this was his first left handed round, rather than his natural right.

Old 07-26-17, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Stickshift - Thanks for the link and info! That is good news, my permit qualifies.

Can you close your left eye?
Yes, but I am left eye dominant.