I shouldn't be this tired.

Old 08-30-17, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I shouldn't be this tired.

I know it's not even supper time yet but I'm worn out ..... and I haven't even done any real work! Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about driving 100 miles but I think a mile might be longer than it used to be Some of you might remember the property my wife bought and the old house I tore down. We've subdivided the lot and have the rear parcel under contract. First we had to get a flood survey because it's on a creek. $400 and I can't make heads nor tails of the report - but they are happy. Now we have to get the soil perked. My wife called the gov't agency that oversees that and had me drive down to get the list. 50 miles or so round trip. Got home and she started calling only to find out they gave her the wrong list - it was a list of certified septic installers.

So another trip for another list, the right one this time. Only 2 that are within 75 miles one of which has had the phone number disconnected. The rest are all 100+ miles away .... that sounds expensive

Gas prices are climbing too! Last week local prices were around $2 per gallon, I filled my truck and gas cans up Monday for $2.08 a gallon. This afternoon I passed several $2.18 stations but passed thinking I get cheaper in the next town, Paid $2.25

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 01:11 PM
Can't they mail you the replacement list using the USPS, or don't they deliver mail in your neck of the woods anymore ?

That seems like it would be far less expensive and involve far less time than driving down there.

Old 08-30-17, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just trying to expedite things. The only one she was able to get a hold of [over 100 miles away] recommended a guy in North Carolina ... but he's hard to get a hold of and he only comes to tenn once a week. But you got to start somewhere! I wasn't too keen on her buying this property to start with as I knew it would involve a LOT of work but maybe when it's all done she can pay off all her bills.

Old 08-30-17, 02:58 PM
I understand . . . . they'd probably mail you the wrong list anyway.

This way, you can double check before exiting the facility and make absolutely sure it's the right list.

Old 08-30-17, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I double checked the list the 2nd time around. The guy we are maybe getting wasn't on the list but a referral from someone who was. He might come friday, said he'll call if/when he gets to tenn ..... so I guess that means we are on call

Old 08-30-17, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take some vitamin C. That's for energy.

Old 08-30-17, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez, this place couldn't fax or email? I mean, there is fax software also but anywhere you know there's a machine would work.

Old 08-31-17, 02:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unhappy

Email was an option but my pc died and I'm using my old xp machine. As much as I used to prefer xp, not much works with it While I get my emails they aren't always intact - sometimes I open one just to find a blank or partially blank page. So I figured it was best to go in person, just didn't plan on 2 trips.

I take vitamin C along with a bunch of other vitamins .... but it's hard to counteract old and worn out

Old 08-31-17, 03:51 AM
Hang in there. Take it one day at a time.

Old 08-31-17, 05:16 AM
Mark,
Are you sure the list of septic companies isn't the correct list? In my area perc tests are done by licensed septic system companies. The state provides the requirements but the septic companies do the tests. There are a half dozen companies within 10 miles of where I live.

Old 08-31-17, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I
n my area perc tests are done by licensed septic system companies
Ugh, my post disappeared just as I was finishing what happened to the restore feature?

Anyway, apparently it's not done that way here. She's called several of the septic installers on the first list and was told she needed a soil scientist to come out first. Originally the county said we needed to get a septic permit [$500] and they would handle it but now they say it's $500 but you have to have pay someone to do the perk test done too. The county has been full of conflicting info. I've always understood the minimum right of way for land locked parcels to be 40'. One person at zoning said we only needed 25', another that it was 40' The surveyor claims you have to have 50' so we went with that [1/3rd is in the creek anyway]

My wife just got off the phone with the health dept [septic division] and they are telling her we also need a perk test on the front lot and it has a septic system that was for the 4 bed rm house I tore down! Guess we will cross that bridge when the time comes.

Old 08-31-17, 07:41 AM
Speaking of energy. I'm not one who experimented with drugs despite being from the 60's generation but the recent articles about the FDA listing ecstasy as a ‘breakthrough’ drug caught my attention. Then when I read the article it made me wonder if it shouldn't be distributed to a wider audience.
The FDA says ecstasy is a ?breakthrough? drug for PTSD patients | Popular Science

Bud

Old 08-31-17, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wasn't it LSD that was first used extensively by the medical community until all the bad parts became known and they outlawed it? If they legalize ecstasy I wonder if it would develop the same set a problems many see with pain pills.

It would be nice to pop a pill and have plenty of energy along with no aches and pains - not that I believe my body could handle it.

Old 08-31-17, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
I used to get B12 shots when I was younger, on occasion. Always worked well or you can always take vitamins with extra B vitamins.
Better than ecstasy which will also play with the mind.

Old 09-01-17, 09:13 AM
I take a multitude of vitamins and my B-complex is a must. Hard to pin down the exact ones that help with my energy but when I run out of the "B" my battery runs down easily, which is not all that good to start with.

As for the ecstasy I think the recreational world has field tested it enough to expose any major side effects and at my age more energy outweighs any long term concerns. Given that the FDA almost never moves at warp speed I'm impressed. But I doubt this will ever reach a list I might choose from.

Bud

Old 09-01-17, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I take Vitamin B12 along with a host of other vitamins and don't feel like any of it improves my energy level any BUT if I was to quit taking them, maybe I'd think differently.

Old 09-01-17, 12:07 PM
Quit for a while and see what happens. I was having some light headed/dizzy problems a while back and I quit taking my meds for a few days. The dizzy went away almost immediately.

Old 09-02-17, 09:26 AM
Here is a quote and a link: " There are only two ways that you can obtain vitamin B-12: by eating foods rich in the vitamin, or by taking dietary supplements. Unlike other nutrients such as vitamin D or vitamin K, the human body cannot synthesize vitamin B-12."

Does the Human Body Produce Vitamin B-12? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

As we age our food intake can both decrease and get stuck in a rut, limited variety. More in relation to all other vitamins the vitamin content of our food supply has become depleted. By harvesting crops year after year from the same soils there are many micronutrients that never get replaced by modern fertilizers. Google "the micronutrients in our soil". This depletion is one of the main reasons I started taking a combined vitamin and mineral supplement and will forever. For me, it has made a world of difference.

Bud

Old 09-02-17, 12:38 PM
I thought most normally sourced B-12 came from fish and meat not plants.

Old 09-02-17, 02:41 PM
@cwbuff, you are correct. I tried to say "More in relation to all other vitamins" as B12 (and I'm no expert) has to come from what we eat and primarily from fish and meats. It scares me that I have been able to add vitamins to my routine with such good results and I know so little about them. SO, I asked my doctor if he could review what I'm taking and narrow my list down to just what my body needs and he was aware of the progress i had made. His answer, "dump them all. The benefits you think you are getting are all from the placebo effect." Fortunately he retired shortly after that visit after he underwent a 5 artery bypass. Maybe he should have been taking some vitamins?

I won't go through the list but my body was unable to heal the slightest injury and it was the time frame when my hearing went south. I changed my diet and added a dozen or so pills and withing weeks I started to regain my old self, except the hearing.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a medical doctor who supports a regiment of supplements, but I keep asking.

Bud

Old 09-02-17, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2 doctors ago [he died] put me on a whole slew of vitamins which I still take. My next doctor liked that I took them [she retired] Like I said before I'm not convinced they help a lot but I know they don't hurt and don't intend to quit taking them. I especially think the B12, D and calcium are needed.

Old 09-02-17, 05:12 PM
Supplemental vitamins certainly can't hurt. My wife has got me on the SHAKLEE vitamins (legally not allowed to be called a vitamin but a food supplement). In spite of most doctors telling us that there is no difference in a "manufactured" vitamin vs SHAKLEE natural food supplement, or others like it, there seems to be enough studies to indicate there is something different about how the body absorbs the natural vs the ONE-A-Day type vitamin. It may be physiological, but I take them and I think I feel better for it.

Old 09-03-17, 01:19 AM
Supplemental vitamins certainly can't hurt.

Unfortunately, that blanket statement is not true.

Adele Davis, the guru of taking mega-doses of vitamins during the second half of the 20th century, DIED as a result of overdosing on a particular vitamin.

I think that taking dosages over 1,000 times the government recommended dosages IS foolhardy. For specific vitamins that research has shown to affect certain conditions going as much as 400% over RDA MAY be okay but do not over do it.

Placebo effect DOES play a role. The mere act of thinking you are getting better can help you get better. Conversely, thinking you are getting worse can impede any progress as well. People who are bedridden rarely want to get out of bed for any reason, I know I sure don't. But I ALWAYS feel better after getting up for a bit, even if it is only a half-hour or so. Attitude is very important to healing, strange as it may seem.

Old 09-03-17, 02:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that a good portion of being/getting well is in the brain. Your mindset covers most aspects of life. I know a bunch of folks that think they can't do this or that, and guess what - they can't. Best I can tell there is no reason other than the unwillingness or an I'm already defeated attitude.

Except for the ones that the doc says I need more than 100%, I don't see the value in mega does either.

Old 09-03-17, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
You know, they can test for many vitamins in a simple blood test. 2 yrs ago my PA told me my D was way below normal (poor lifestyle and I wasn't drinking milk like normal) so he put me on 10000mg every other day for 2 weeks and told me to get more dairy and get out in the sun.

I know they can also test for K and some of the B's. A healthy diet and a reasonable amount of time outside should give you all the "micro" nutrients and vitamins you need. I'm sure there are specific cases where increased or even massive doses might be beneficial.

I remember reading a story about a MD in Norfolk VA (of all places) who thinks Vit C can be vital in some cases. https://pilotonline.com/news/local/h...731604196.html

There's a now deceased local Dr (hey, he made it to 84) who started a company called Dr C "The Right C". I've known some who swear by it and it apparently is sold nationwide...run from my little burg. I even know his grandson who is the CEO now.

Old 09-03-17, 04:48 AM
<b>
Supplemental vitamins certainly can't hurt.
</b>
Unfortunately, that blanket statement is not true.

Adele Davis, the guru of taking mega-doses of vitamins during the second half of the 20th century, DIED as a result of overdosing on a particular vitamin.

Sorry, but this is a stupid statement! Why would you say something like this?
Except for the controlled mega dose as prescribed by a doctor for a limited time, mega doses of ANYTHING is not good. That's kind of like saying if 2 aspirin can cure a headache why not take a bottle full and prevent headaches altogether (yes it will prevent them altogether). No one said anything about mega doses or blanket statements concerning high doses of vitamins. Vitamins are a food. Eat too much of any food and you have a problem. Mix certain foods together (or certain vitamins in combination with food, medicine or other vitamins) and you will have a problem. Nobody here suggested that or or inferred taking vitamins in any dosage will cure anything. Again common sense must be used. Daily intake of supplemental vitamins can help and can't hurt. An apple a day won't hurt, but eat a apples all day and you're in trouble!

Old 09-03-17, 04:54 AM
Several doctors that we have gone to over the years have commented about vitamin supplements. Some of them laughed and said we are wasting our money and time taking them. Others have complimented us for taking them. Some have said natural vitamins are no better or worse than manufactured ones. Again some said natural is always better. Many years ago when my wife was bearing children her doctor prescribed supplements, but said if she wanted to take the natural stuff instead, that was fine.

Old 09-03-17, 01:34 PM
Norm, post #22. Your first statement: Supplemental vitamins certainly can't hurt. That, my friend is a blanket statement. You made no mention of moderation of the dosage thereby leaving the subject wide open. Now in your follow-up I find nothing with which I disagree. Nonetheless, as stated by Vic or yourself there ARE idiots that think(?) if one or two doses are good then ten or fifty will be better. Simply not true to that extreme end.

Vic, I was prescribed 50,000 units of vitamin D daily for a few days and then every other day for a few days and then (as I recall) once a week until they were all gone. I can't stand drinking milk, I won't give the details but I am not lactose intolerant. Due to my lifestyle at the time I rarely got out into the sun. This morning I started a 5,000 unit D-3 regimen. I DO know that in huge amounts vitamin D is toxic but I don't remember what is considered huge.

Nobel prize winner Linus Pauling was a proponent of vitamin C in mega dosages for many years. As I recall from a few years back further research on the subject has disproven some (not all) of his theories.

The argument over "natural" vs. synthetic vitamins has been going on forever and likely will continue for at least that long. I certainly don't know the answer and I doubt that anyone else does either. I will say that if a person has a preference that is what they should take, if for no other reason than the placebo effect.

Sorry about the long-winded response. I was going to make some other comments but now I need to lie down again.

Old 09-06-17, 05:38 PM
If you eat properly, vitamin supplements shouldn't be needed. Unless you're already deficient and have gotten the tests to prove it and need to bring levels up.

I think the western diet is the cause of most chronic health problems.

Our diet is very high in simple carbs with little nutritional value (if you buy white bread, the only nutrients present are those artificially added - they call in enriched but it's crap).

Very high in omega 6 fatty acids thanks to use of corn and soy oils and feeding animals grain. (if you eat grass fed meat, it has lots of omega 3, less 6)

omega 3 deficient.

From what i've read causes a lot of inflammation (both high omega 6 and simple carbs in excess), leading to cancer, depression, chronic fatigue, brain fog, diabetes

Dealing with this chronic stuff myself and no answers - doctors know nothing about nutrition or functional medicine.

They just want to get people taking pills for life to mask health problems.

We have tons of corn, soy + other legumes, and wheat and they have substances that inhibit the absorption of vitamins/minerals. The soy has estrogen, messes up hormones and can mess up thyroid too.

Some of us don't get enough high quality complete protein and B12 from animal products, not enough veggies and the produce we have available now isn't of high nutritional value because the soils have been depleted thanks to factory farming; pouring chemical fertilizers on the soil to replace the macro-nutrients in the soil and the micro-nutrients, minerals, etc get depleted.

We used to graze animals on the land and use the manure to fertilize the soil; rotate crops.

Now we just grow corn, soy and wheat to feed animals and turn into processed foods. It's done year after year - they don't necessarily even rotate crops.

Big agribusiness is screwing us. They even lied to us and blamed saturated fat for the health problems caused by simple carbs.

The problematic foods are cheap and health foods way too expensive.