double whammy

Old 09-01-17, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
double whammy

Back in the spring I got the tax assessors new assessment of my property. They raised the value $50k, that wasn't totally unexpected but I clicked on the paper this morning to see that now they've decided to raise the tax rate 8.5
Hope I don't cry when they send out the bill!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-17, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are programs for seniors where you can apply for reductions. Here they call it the star & enhanced star.

Old 09-01-17, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tenn has that also but there is an income cap, you don't qualify if your income is above $20k [last I heard]

Old 09-01-17, 06:56 AM
You still may have the right to dispute the evaluation of the house/property. One way to do it is to show an inequality to a similar property. It's worth a call or a conversation with a real estate lawyer.

Old 09-01-17, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not going to fight the evaluation as I know that for years it was under evaluated by the tax man. The current price they gave it still might be a little low. I knew my property tax was going up just didn't expect this additional increase especially since they claimed after the new evaluations came out that they wouldn't need to increase the tax and were even thinking about reducing it since most properties were being appraised higher. I guess there is no reason for politicians to balance a budget when they can so easily raise the taxes instead

Old 09-01-17, 07:19 AM
I hear you, Mark. My valuations went down a bit during the "recession" but have come back with a vengeance. We have several "senior citizen" type discounts here but like you, my income is just barely over the cap so no help there.

Of course the option (NOT!) is to move. The Seattle area has had the highest increase in housing costs nationwide for the last thirteen months. People often do not understand that while I might get a half-million for my shack I would need another place to live and the cost for that would be astronomical as well unless I moved several hours away, from the city and from good medical facilities. Not willing to consider either.

Old 09-01-17, 07:23 AM
We don't see low evaluations here. I guess that you're lucky.

Old 09-01-17, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Besides having absolutely no desire to live elsewhere - moving is too much work!! Assuming I can stay out of a nursing home, I expect my next move to be in a hearse. Years ago I was worried about my driveway and getting too old to traverse it, now I figure if I get to old to go up/down my road - I'll stay home! We have 5 boys so surely someone could bring us groceries if it ever came to that.

Old 10-14-17, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tax bill came today and it's only went up $20 Not sure why they didn't increase my assessment but I sure ain't complaining!

Old 10-14-17, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, that does seem strange with the value AND rate going up, just the extra $50K should have cost you about $42. If you figure it out, let us know.

Old 10-15-17, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tax bill didn't reflect the $50k increase in value. I don't know if they neglected to add it, didn't believe their reassessment report or are just incompetent. But I ain't complaining!!

Old 10-15-17, 04:27 AM
Depending on how your Fiscal Year runs, the new Assessment will probably be applied to the next year, and not retrospectively.

Old 10-15-17, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly the letter I got back in the spring said the increase would show up on this years taxes in the fall. Time will tell.