incompetent delivery men

Old 09-07-17, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
incompetent delivery men

I hate incompetent delivery drivers! I bought a new computer last week and the new monitor was to be delivered today so I planned to be on lookout for it. Apparently it was delivered yesterday afternoon. It had stopped raining by then but they just set the box [in a plastic bag] in the weeds along the bottom of my driveway [about 25' up from the road] The bag was soaked and the box is slightly damp. I know they like to claim my driveway isn't passable and while it might be a little intimidating - it is a safe road [except maybe in the snow/ice] FedEx always comes to the top, don't see any reason for UPS not to do the same! I've also had dump trucks, a block truck and concrete truck come up/down with no issues.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-17, 07:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Suppose you required a signature for all deliveries which is automatic in large cities? That way, they have to ring the bell or knock on the door.

Old 09-07-17, 07:15 AM
Mark, do you have UPS My Choice? I just received an email telling me a
package will be here tomorrow. Then when It is delivered I get another
email telling me where it is, usually a couple minutes after delivery.

And it's free.

Old 09-07-17, 10:02 AM
I hear you, Mark. In my case the UPS is top notch but it is the FedEx people that just toss the package towards my house. I waited all day for a Fed Ex a few months ago and finally when I checked the website I found it had been delivered hours prior. They had left it in front of the garage rather than carry it another fifteen feet to my front door.

Old 09-07-17, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I sent UPS an email voicing my displeasure, they ought to be glad I've calmed down a lot over the last 25 yrs or it might have been a nasty email

I don't know why the current UPS driver won't go up my driveway, they used to have one that would. But I also had trouble with the electric company, they'd only read my meter 2-3 times a year. They'd always overestimate but I paid. When they finally read it, they'd send me a bill for $10 for not having used any electricity [because it was paid ahead] Now I have a digital meter that they read from their office.

Old 09-07-17, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It really doesn't matter why the UPS drive doesn't use your driveway. As I suggested, demand a signature. That will force the driver or his helper to ring your bell. Is there any reason why you don't want to do that?

Old 09-07-17, 03:47 PM
Agree with Donato. You've complained about this problem in the past. It's up to you to solve it. Return merchandise as damaged in shipment. File claim. You have several avenues to work with.

Old 09-08-17, 02:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While the box was damp, the contents weren't damaged. I have filed a complaint. They responded with an apology, said they'd take steps so it doesn't happen again and suggested I sign up for My Choice. I haven't had time yet to see just what that does. I didn't know a signature could be required by the recipient , thought that was just an option for the sender.

Old 09-08-17, 03:42 AM
Good move about making the complaint.

Old 09-08-17, 07:08 AM
Mark, I agree that it is ridiculous to leave anything in a place like you described, and it becomes even more frustrating when it's something like a monitor that anyone knows you don't want to get damp. Locally anyway, our UPS delivery persons are always cordial, yet brief. I have seen many times on our gravel road the UPS truck parked along the road, which literally means in the road since there are no shoulders and few places to move over when meeting another vehicle, while the driver walked or ran a package anywhere from a hundred feet to a couple hundred feet up to the house. So I asked one of the drivers about that one time, and he told me that they were trained, by UPS, to avoid getting into situations where they had to back up, and I can't remember how he worded it, but believe he was saying that they were restricted to X number of times backing up over a given period, and were subject to some manner of discipline if they exceeded that number. That said, I'm not condoning treating anyone's merchandise the way they did yours, but just saying that it possible that there is more to it than the driver being a dunce. Particularly by today's standards, we have few such deliveries, and for the most part receive very good service from both UPS and FedEx. The one thing that does frustrate me is that while they usually leave things at the side door, every once in a while they will leave it right in front of the front door, and while a good distance from the road is still visible from the road, and while it is for the most part a very safe area, we are not without bad guys occasionally cruising through.

Old 09-08-17, 07:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They also have a mapping software that routes their truck which has them make minimal left turns. I had heard at one time that they could not make left turns under any circumstances but I dont see how that is possible. You gotta make a left turn at some point.

Old 09-08-17, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I forgot to add that any vehicle that gets on the road I live off of has to turn around to leave. It's a one lane dead end road.