Dermatologist doesn't want to do quick skin exam while I'm there

Old 10-11-17, 11:31 AM
Dermatologist doesn't want to do quick skin exam while I'm there

I went to the dermatologist this morning. He froze a small pre-cancerous blemish on my forehead. He did a full body skin exam six months ago. I asked him this morning to give me another skin exam since I was already there.

He wouldn't do it. Seriously..........he wouldn't take five minutes to check the rest of my body for skin cancer prevention after he removed a pre-cancerous lesion or whatever off my forehead. Said I already had a full body exam earlier this year. I had a similar experience with him on my first appointment.

I'm not sure what his problem is. It seems he wants to do the bare minimum for fear of not being reimbursed by the insurance company. I have a generous health plan that rarely declines anything. So I don't think they would even care if I had another skin exam.

Instead of being a bean counter, he should have done the exam. If he found anything else to be removed, he could have scheduled me for another appointment. Or he could have coded it differently if he was worried about resistance from the insurance provider. He could have worked it out somehow.

I want nothing else to do with this jerk

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 10-11-17 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 12:06 PM
Find a new Dermatologist

I would find a new dermatologist. If it is a group practice, you can usually find another provider in the practice that will meet your needs. It took me 3 tries to get a provider I was comfortable with at my Dermatologist. She turned out to be the best I have ever had in 45 years of seeing dermatologists. Unfortunately she recently relocated and now I am looking again.

Old 10-11-17, 12:57 PM
Medical professionals are like home contractors, 9/10 are no good.
After fillings without novocaine, an unnecessary crown that annoys me to this day, and countless bloody gums resulting from "teeth cleanings", I finally found the 10/10 dentist and I've been with him for the past 25 years including times when I've lived out of town and times he wasn't participating in whatever insurance I had.
Well worth the travel and out of pocket expense.
He told me a simple way to take care of my teeth and I've had nothing more than routine cleanings since.
Sadly he's retiring soon.
Thank goodness we now have these medical provider review sites.

Old 10-11-17, 12:59 PM
It's actually quite common what you guys say about about people going out of their way to see a doctor they're happy with. I knew a Koren War veteran who would literally drive several hundred miles to see a therapist for his combat trauma issues.

I'll just switch back to my previous dermatologist since they participate with my new health plan.

I researched this new guy too. He checked out ok with board of medical examiners and he is supposed to be one of the top dermatologists in the city. Makes no difference to me now. He's disgraceful. I've asked a couple other dermatologists to do a complete skin exam within months of a previous one while I was being seen in the office for something else. They did it gladly without any hesitation

..........Did you say tooth filling without novocaine?

Old 10-11-17, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Healthcare is a business like any other. If you don't like the provider, find a new one.

Old 10-11-17, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
He told me a simple way to take care of my teeth and I've had nothing more than routine cleanings since.
I'm curious now... what did he say?