Plain hotdog

Old 10-28-17, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Plain hotdog

Sunday on our drive to the beach we stopped at a national chain hamburger joint for lunch. They had a special; hot dog, cheese burger, fries and a drink. So we got 2 meals and ate everything there except the hot dogs which we saved for later. Going down the road we got the hot dogs out - bun and hot dog - no condiments whatsoever! I know just off the interstate isn't the best place to find a decent meal but good golly!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-17, 03:16 AM
Group Moderator
Well, that will keep you on your diet. I can eat a hot dog plain but if it's on a bun I have to have at least mustard.

Old 10-28-17, 05:24 AM
HA HA. Why would you buy a hot dog from an interstate eatery or evan from a national chain (burgers, taco ,etc... OK)? Hot dogs are the one food item that should only be had from the local "stands" of the area. Here in Western New York we have TED's or Louie's Texas hot among others. And our brand of choice is Sahlen's hot dog. In Rochester the most popular brandis Zweigle's.

Oh! And Weber's mustard to top it off!

Old 10-28-17, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife likes hotdogs and it was a value meal which included the hotdog. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way for a hotdog. We were just shocked that the hot dog included a bun and nothing else!

Old 10-29-17, 05:35 AM
Remember the Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) line from "Lethal Weapon II"? I won't post a link because of the BLUE LANGUAGE but you can find the clip on YouTube. The upshot is, never go to the drive-thru because they know you're going to be miles away before you discover they goofed your on order.

Completely unrelated but a buddy of mine walked away from the counter at a national burger chain, then decided he wanted extra ketchup so he went back. And they told him extra ketchup was 2 each. So he produced a $20 bill and said, "Fill 'er up." Then with customers waiting in the line behind them, he made them count out 950-ish packs of ketchup to his satisfaction.

For years after that he drove around with a slowly dwindling box of ketchup packets behind the seat of his pickup. And according to him, that particular franchise stopped charging for extra ketchup.

Old 10-29-17, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
And our brand of choice is Sahlen's hot dog.
OMG, I crave these from my younger days living in Western New York. I think I have been spoiled for life after having these and then being stuck with national brand dogs since. Have recently discovered that Boars Head makes a skin on dog that really surprised my wife. I remember making one for her, one for my daughter and two for me. They both fought over the extra one I had made for myself. I had to fire up the grill and make the rest to satisfy everyone. Nothing finer than the snap of a good skin on dog.

Any favorite condiments? I like mine with sauerkraut, pickles, ketchup and mustard.

Old 10-29-17, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife prefers chili on her hotdogs, I don't discriminate - chili, sauerkraut, just mustard or mustard, ketchup and relish. Pretty much any way you want to fix it - I'll eat, except I reserve the right to complain if there is nothing at all on it

Old 10-29-17, 07:32 AM
Smile

I seldom eat hot dogs any more . I always preferred to get them plain and then add my own condiments. The same goes for burgers. When I buy one I want it my way.

Old 10-29-17, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Hot dogs are "some assembly required".

Old 10-29-17, 08:55 AM
CZIZZI,

Nice to see someone else is a connoisseur of meat by-products and knows the best.

I honestly cannot eat any other brand of dog.

Most any condiment is fine with me or even plain if it's Sahlen's. I like them best when grilled and the skin begins to break open. With just a touch of being burned or charred.

Now pizza on the other hand can be any kind from any pizzeria (including Digiorno's pizza) . Thin crust, thick crust, but usually with pepperoni. Most any other toppings are fine. NO TO VEGGI pizza (my Wife likes that stuff). I enjoy the various styles and difference between any Pizza shop or Pizza chain.

Old 10-29-17, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like that brand is only available in a few areas. Never heard of it around here.

I just like mustard on mine. Sauerkraut on occasion, but otherwise pretty plain.

To Mark, I'm surprised they didn't at least offer a packet of mustard or catsup.

Old 10-29-17, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've learned to check take out orders before I leave the place. I never heard of Sahlen's either. As a kid in Brooklyn, there were Sabret frankfurter carts everywhere. Besides Nathan's, that was it. That's right, we called them frankfurters.

Old 10-29-17, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Going go Western New York for the holidays, I may have to seek out some Sahlens. Do you know of any retails outlets that sell them as part of their fare? I'm talking hotdog stands or pizzerias, not retail grocery stores. We will be in the Hamburg/Orchard Park area.

Old 10-29-17, 12:26 PM
Come visit. I'm on the West Seneca / OP Boarder line. I'm serious, PM me if your cam make it.

Ted's and/or Louie's hot dog stands. I think Taffy's also.

Old 10-29-17, 01:01 PM
I'm starving now. When going to Duluth Central high school we'd often run down to Coney Island- good stuff if you like onions.

Like everything else, I hear they're not what they used to be in the 60's.

Name:  CONEYS.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 10-29-17, 02:49 PM
I'm partial to Koegel's. No condiments needed, they're perfect on their own. Unfortunately, I can only get them mail-ordered here. (Is it wrong to mail order a 10 pound box of hotdogs?)

Old 10-29-17, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
(Is it wrong to mail order a 10 pound box of hotdogs?)
If doing that is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

I just wish I could get some real NE lobster roll/hot dog buns. You know, the split top type that that you lightly butter and put on the grill just to lightly brown 'em? Can't find them west of St Louis except bulk mail order.

Old 10-29-17, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Baldwin, you jogged my memory when you mentioned Coney Island. I mentioned Nathan's but I forgot to mention Nedicks. They had a unique roll/bun & they were delicious at 4 AM.

Old 10-30-17, 08:43 PM
White hot dogs in Western New York are the best! Unfortunately you can't get them anyplace else in the nation that I know of. Wish I could get them here in Louisville.

As far as condiments go, ketchup should never be brought within 10 feet of a hot dog! It sacrilege to put ketchup on a hot dog.

Old 10-30-17, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
It sacrilege to put ketchup on a hot dog.
True dat!
Mustard, onions, chili. Maybe a little hot sauce if the chili is bland.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 10-30-17 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Not a big hot dog fan but when I'm in the mood I go to Rutt's.
Rutt's Hut | Home of the Ripper!

Old 10-30-17, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
I prefer Ekrich hot dog size sausage with sauerkraut. More taste than hot dogs.

Old 10-31-17, 02:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Got a reply from Hardies
Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Product Development Department for their review. Feedback from guests like you is especially important to us so that we may continue to improve the quality and appeal of our products.
Now I 'm sure it's a canned response but product development is going to review the matter ???

It sacrilege to put ketchup on a hot dog.
Not sure I'd go that far but ketchup would be low on my list of condiments for a hotdog. But IMO a hotdog should have some type of condiment on it. Hotdog and bun alone doesn't cut it for me!

Old 10-31-17, 02:31 AM
Group Moderator
Use to like chili and sweet relish on hot dogs but got tired of the bland taste of hot dogs.

Old 10-31-17, 03:22 AM
I made corn dogs for a late night snack. Well, not really "corn" dogs, more like battered Andouille sausages on a stick. Mix up some really thick pancake batter (not the "just add water" variety), stab the sausage with a chopstick, cover it in batter and then deep fry for five or six minutes.

I use Hempler's sausage, a family owned business in Bellingham, Washington. They have the BEST bacon and other pork products available in the PNW.

Search this Thread