Power outage

Old 11-01-17, 09:53 AM
Power outage

Following hurricanes Sandy and Irene there were huge power outages in my area that lasted for days. The power companies blamed it (at least partially correct) on tree falls that took out power lines and poles. The power companies asked for and received millions from taxpayers and rate increases. In the last couple of years thousands of trees along power lines routes were removed or severely trimmed.

Sunday we had a wind storm with winds to 60 mph. Much of my area of the state lost power. In my town outages were over 80%. As of last evening they were down to 50%. I just read a local police report that listed over half of the town roads as closed due to downed trees/power lines. I wonder how much of a rate increase the POCO will ask for this time?

As an aside, we were on the generator for most of two days so we had power but no TV or internet until late yesterday. I didn't realize how dependent I am on the internet for news and entertainment. By mid day yesterday I was really jonesing for my daily news, forums and media fix. I gotta' fix that.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-17, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
During Sandy we didn't have power for over two weeks. I was running off generator. I have Verizon FiOS service. They had small generators at key locations to keep the fiber system running. I had all the services. On the other hand.... those on cable.... had absolutely nothing.

Old 11-01-17, 02:50 PM
Question answered today on the local news. POCO is asking for a 245 million rate hike for next year and an additional 80 million or so for the two years after. POCO profits last year were reported as 920 million.

Old 11-01-17, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
I guess I just don't understand big business. Big corporations are not happy unless they are reporting huge profits. What gives ?

As I was looking at your title..... it could be changed from power outage to power outrage.

Old 11-01-17, 06:00 PM
The huge profits get distributed, to pay the huge salaries of the top executives and to pay the large dividends to the stockholders. Utilities have ALWAYS paid high dividends while keeping the share prices fairly low. These are called "widow and orphan stocks" for a good reason.

Also, electricity especially when looking at utilities is the one that is the hardest to live without. Raise the rates anytime because the customers have no choice but to pay.

Old 11-02-17, 05:28 AM
According to the US Chamber of Commerce CT ranked 46th in the nation for the cost of electricity. The national average in 2015 was $10.42/kwh. The average rate in CT is $17.27 and the local utility companies are asking for a nearly 7% rate raise.